Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So no Wesley or Targett in that team. Idiotic newspaper

No jota either..

Edited by Dave-R

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He's a self-absorbed bell end, and I can't see DS going for it. The rumour originated with The Sun. Their Aston Villa Twitter feed suggests they aren't exactly experts on what's going on at Villa Park:

So yeah, probably a boring bullshit rumour, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be true.

The Sun must have asked someone that lives in a cave who they thought would be playing for the Villa this season. Our lineup will be more like this:

startingeleven.jpg.30a0a0e21afb8ca9ecb29229b1ab2580.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

The Sun must have asked someone that lives in a cave who they thought would be playing for the Villa this season. Our lineup will be more like this:

You’re line up in my head looks strong!

• Like 4

One for the things that shouldnt piss you off thread but it really irks me when our own fans put out team line ups and have Grealish as a No.10. 

Jack Grealish is not a No.10. Literally every game he has played well for us has been in a midfield three in a box to box role. 

Even the Sun got that bit right!

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Philip Billing would be a great signing for us. Won't cost the world, was excellent last season and is only 23. 

We need someone who can operate as a DM. I saw him play for Huddersfield a few times and while I'm no scout I thought he looked like a player destined for the top of the game. 

Got players player and young player awards 

dm goes to Nakamba for me if were to bring one in, at a rough 6-10 million could be a bargain if he works out and with more interceptions that Mcginn earning his 4x4 nickname should be a hell of a land.

Not sure on your Philip biling guy in terms of how much he would probably cost.

9 hours ago, DamsonwoodVillan said:

Chester is crocked now. He won't be able to cope with 25+ Premier League games. 

Great servant to the club, only has one year to go anyway. He'll stay as we'll need four first team centre backs in this league 

9 hours ago, regular_john said:

Assuming we could manage his undoubtedly astronomical wages, thoughts on Sturridge on a free?

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

We need to get quality into that midfield. Nowhere near strong enough there.

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

We won't be signing Maupay. Limited budget, can't spend another £20m on a striker when we have no DMs, and still need a keeper and centre halves.

Although, Smith is so crazy he just might do it.

Can someone tell me what the blue pencil I have walked into?

Have I missed something since I went to bed?

Edited by AvfcRigo82

15 minutes ago, villarocker said:

That's a sexy line up if you ask me, we still need depth in the way of substitutes, I know we have jota, steer, hourihane, greene, ramsay but the rest do not give me confidence for the premier.

In fact we need another striker because kodjia as no2 doesn't give me confidence like steer as our no2 GK does..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

That's a sexy line up if you ask me.

After Mings, if we signed Cahill on a free, we could really only have to spend £20m Butland, £8m Nakamba & £10m Trezeguet to finish the team off, a further £38m - easily doable IMO. Personally though, I'd rather we spent the extra £20m to get Webster.

20 minutes ago, villarocker said:

That team on paper stays up

Trezeguet and Nakamba still just look like paper rumours to me. The rest of that team looks good, though. I think there is more truth in the Cahill/Webster links, so I'd go with that defence.

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

After Mings, if we signed Cahill on a free, we could really only have to spend £20m Butland, £8m Nakamba & £10m Trezeguet to finish the team off, a further £38m - easily doable IMO. Personally though, I'd rather we spent the extra £20m to get Webster.

I'd have all of the players mentioned and still buy a few more, some players will get injured no doubt, we will need some darn good quality for cover???

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That team on paper stays up

That team on paper wins the league, I wrote the damn paper 😋

New theory: Smith and Suso are still out at the African Cup of Nations to watch the Ivory Coast take on Mali this afternoon (to watch ibrahim Sangare)

Would add Maupay, Mariot, Webster, Butland, Trezeguet, Lolley, Nakamba and a LB- gibbs(WB) or Wallace(millwall) or blacket (reading) to our squad.

Would be a lovely wishlist that

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Well doesn't this thread feel like a better place to visit this morning with the pending return of Mings, I don't know about anyone else but its a signing that has really lifted the spirits it certainly has mine as I was starting to get a little concerned last week.

Still a huge amount of work to be done but his pending arrival does seem like a pivotal moment to me and I think he is incredibly important to how we want to play.

Hopefully in a few days the fuss over the fee will subside, the price we've paid is important it shouldn't just be dismissed because it will impact on what else we can spend but on this signing I think it was less important than others.

On the topic of fees one thing that does frustrate me is comparisons, so allow me a rant a moment.

The game is changing, rapidly. The market today has no relation to the market 2 years ago or 4 years ago, what Bournemouth paid for Mings from Ipswich is about as relevant today as Martin O'Neill. Yesterday has gone, the transfer market of years past is gone and it isn't coming back any more than 442 and a midfielder at right back, sorry Martin it just isn't.

Those in, around and watching the game can howl at the moon as much as they like but they are akin to people moaning about modernity, things change, progress although not always positive is relentless.

So this comparison to past transfers isn't relevant, this idea of players having some sort of predetermined value almost as if there were a global player price list is a fantasy. It is quite literally the by product of fantasy football. Sure there are lose market parameters, there will be an element of benchmarking but just because player A costs X doesn't mean that player B will cost Y. Ultimately players are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them and their price is only ever what the selling club is willing to part with them for.

It doesn't matter how much Wolves paid for Boly, it doesn't matter than Alderweilder has a buy out not much more than the maximum price we could pay for Mings. It doesn't matter what Bournemouth paid for Ake, Solanke or what other players will go for in coming weeks. Like lots of things in and of the game, sure it can be fun to debate, to discuss and pick over but ultimately I think this notion of a definable market like the housing market is largely a construct of fans imagination.

Sure clubs asking prices are at times influenced by certain transfers, the Pogba and Van Dijk deals were seismic shifts in the entire pricing of players but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

What we've paid for Mings shouldn't impact what we pay for the next player to arrive and I suspect now we will see the pace of things pick up.

I do think that perhaps we've seen Purslow and Suso box a little clever, I suspect had we paid £20m for Mings a month ago the price of every other player we enquired about would have increased. It may well do so now as we move on to the next target.

In terms of what we need, I think almost everyone would agree as a minimum we need the following;

GK, CB, DM, RM/W, Striker

We could probably do with a couple more on top either now or in January if at all possible as well.

As I've posted previously we can't spend £20m a piece on the above, we will need to look at some players at lower prices and they are out there. With Mings we've spent about £60m, I think we've probably another £50-60m available, £70m tops without any significant income from player sales.

So a lot to do but there is a quiet efficiency and I think a steal about Villa in this market that we've not seen before, we are in danger of being a professional well run club which is odd.

I'd love us to land Butland and Phillips next personally but the prospect of another Wesley coming out of nowhere is always exciting, who knows what they've got up their sleeves.

Exciting times.

Ah mate, I was totally gripped by that post but then you went and spoilt it a smidgen with the last two words - it made me feel like Rylan Clark had suddenly joined Villatalk! 😂