Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

It's a shame Trossard went to Brighton, as I feel we're a much bigger pull than them. He would have been a good signing for us.

But Brighton are an established Premier League side.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, privateer said:

However, I think the one thing we can take from the transfer window thus far is this schematic representation of the stages of our transfer business doneness.

I give you The Transfer Toast Doneness Scale

1 is obviously a name in the ether - us "eying", if you like, where 9 is obviously ITSOTP and interview.

So could all ITK now refer to what number toast we are at so we can manage our expectations?

Thanks in advance

5c781472a1f0e_TOAST.jpg

This has to be the single biggest threat to the 'dont go off topic' rule in vt history!

Must....fight...urge!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Butland wants to join us according to Gregg Evans, and we're still interested in Maupay and Phillips. I think there's a good chance that all three will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

100% true.

You know what makes it even worse - my boss was a fricking bloser.

It was on a bar in Spain.....just for the record, so I was working with alcohol..........be a bit worse if I was a paramedic or something ha!

Did you get drunk in your own bar before work started or did you get drunk elsewhere then go to your bar drunk? Just wondering if you had the sense to drink your own bar's booze at a discounted, or free, rate? 

• Like 1

Just now, villarocker said:

Did you get drunk in your own bar before work started or did you get drunk elsewhere then go to your bar drunk? Just wondering if you had the sense to drink your own bar's booze at a discounted, or free, rate? 

Ha, no I got drunk whilst working....the rule (which really was pretty stupid) was that you could drink but don’t get drunk.

I took it too far one night, my last memory was throwing a bag of ice across the bar......

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Butland wants to join us according to Gregg Evans, and we're still interested in Maupay and Phillips. I think there's a good chance that all three will happen.

Id be more likely to believe him if he didnt just name the 3 most obvious targets.

Id be shocked if we signed all of those when far better value can be achieved.

Seen some Nantes fans on Twitter believe someone is joining them at the weekend and their current thinking is it is Kalinic.

Just some more speculation to add to the stew.

Maupay has said that he wants to play under Smith again, It was John Percy who is normally very reliable who first linked us with Phillips, and Leeds despite selling Clarke still need money, and Butland joining us seems to be almost certain at this stage. I don't think Maupay and Phillips will cost anywhere near as much as is being reported.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Wednesday's signing fell through at the last minute, as I did say could happen.

We're still interested. It could still happen. Unless it doesn't. Then it won't. But if it does. It will.

I trust that clears things up

#StevoITK

This reads like a parody until you go on Twitter and see all the supposed ITK's posting this almost verbatim :lol: 

I know we're desperate for signings but how people eat that up I'll never know.

• Like 1

Which is what happened with Joe Bryan, that's why you can never predict with any certainty that a player will sign on a specific date.

Edited by useless

21 minutes ago, useless said:

I hope we do sign all 3, especially Maupay. Having a choice of Wesley, Maupay and Kodjia is very good for a newly promoted PL team.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

I hope we do sign all 3, especially Maupay. Having a choice of Wesley, Maupay and Kodjia is very good for a newly promoted PL team.

Maupay is outstanding in FIFA Manager mode, becomes one of the best in the World... So.... Yeah.

• Haha 1

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-start-play-politics-3026008

Most salty article I've ever read. 

pixel?event_kind=INVENTORY&attempt=560ea6ff784a174e1bbde614eacb94b1&campaign=5fdb06fe82f77ee2b615bb7b4d357056pixel?event_kind=AVAIL&attempt=560ea6ff784a174e1bbde614eacb94b1

Aston Villa start to play politics in pursuit of Bristol City's Adam Webster

The Robins centre-back is a major target for the Premier League club

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By
James PiercySports Editor
  • 17:00, 27 JUN 2019
0_JMP_Aston_Villa_v_Bristol_City_RT0508.Adam Webster is closed down by Conor Hourihane of Aston Villa
Get the biggest Weekday Bristol City FCstories by email
Subscribe

Bristol City are bracing themselves for a second bid from Aston Villa for Adam Webster and the chances are that once that approach is firmly rejected, there'll be a third, fourth and maybe even a fifth offer.

ADVERTISING

At no stage are they likely to match City's valuation of £30m for the 24-year-old, we believe; a fee that would represent the second-highest sale in Championship history for a player who's never appeared in the top-flight.

But that won't stop them from trying, and what transpires over the next few weeks is a huge test of Bristol City's nerve.

READ MORE

Bristol Live understands Villa's initial failed approach for Webster isn't the end of the matter as Dean Smith views the defender as a major transfer target this summer.

And while they can flex the additional financial muscle that comes with being a top-flight club they also hold a significant trump card which they can use to manipulate the situation: the promise of the Premier League.

Webster will remain professional and perform both in training and throughout City's pre-season fixtures but he'll know full well what will be going on in the background.

0:000:30

Drive For More – Eden Hazard

Villa knew City had no intention of accepting that, quite frankly, derisory offer of £12m on Wednesday.

Never mind that fact it falls well below City's valuation, look at it relative to the other defenders who have recently signed for Premier League clubs from the Championship: Chris Mepham and Lloyd Kelly to Bournemouth.

Brentford sold Mepham to the Cherries for £12m and City allowed Kelly to leave for at least £13m, with Bristol Live understanding the final deal if all the various clauses and obligations are fulfilled will be closer to £20m.

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith

Factor in Webster having three years to go on his contract plus his status as arguably the club's most important player.

Given wicked whispers of a release clause were quickly extinguished, how exactly did Villa think City were going to respond?

They took their shot knowing it was going to miss. It was essentially a warning shot across the bow.

Sky Sports News were leaked details of the bid for good reason. And now it becomes a political pressure game.

Without broadcasting it, City could have rejected it and Villa and City fans may never have found out but now, with it all out in the open beyond the realms of the usual summer speculation, it becomes a constant topic of debate.

Once Villa bid again, and they will, maybe it's £15m this time. That applies an extra shred of psychological force on City's decision-makers - should they now think about selling?

After all, £15m represents a healthy profit on a player they signed for just £3.5m.

Of course, they shouldn't and neither are they likely to, but the questions still start to creep in and burn away.

Webster will be asked about it throughout pre-season and while his answers will stick to the script, it will become an annoyance; for him, for the club, for fans; heck, even for us, and our insatiable appetite for gossip.

What then happens when it approaches £18m or £20m? Villa will have their ceiling and hope that it can coincide with some kind of a tipping point at City and/or within Webster himself.

READ MORE

As it stands there is absolutely nothing to indicate Webster is unhappy or considering a transfer away. He is a smart lad and fully aware of what he has in Bristol and where City could go with him as defensive fulcrum.

Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton are also adamant of the price they want, but Villa will press on and try and push the right buttons in order to negotiate a deal.

There's an art to it, beyond just dumping a load of money on the table, and it will be a considerable victory for City if they can fend off a Premier League club and all its armoury.

bristol.live
Subscribe to our Weekday Bristol City FC newsletterPrivacy noticeEnter email
0Comments

Sign In

• Sort Comments

Up Next

s615b

Bristol City up their interest in Brentford goalkeeper with £4m fee touted - report

• SPORT
  • ALL

FOLLOW US

•  
  •  

h0r58thg?redir=https%3A%2F%2Fsync.search.spotxchange.com%2Fpartner%3Fadv_id%3D6409%26uid%3D%24%7BUSER_ID%7D%26img%3D1generic?ttd_pid=spotx&ttd_tpi=1pixel?google_nid=spotxchange_dbm&google_cm&google_sc