Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

36 minutes ago, fonz said:

Just seen Ashley Young's nice tweet about us so he'll prob come in at RB. 

I bloody hope not. A 34 year on on big wages isn't what we need. 

Confused about the desperate need for a LB. Wouldn't Hause be that option?

He did well for a few games at CB and is OK as cover there but we're going to have to tighten up defensively and I think he's a good option.

Need to sort out Mings and the other defensive options quickly as they need to get game time all preseason.

5 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Please let this summer be the end of Taylor and Hutton in a Villa shirt.

They have put in a shift and I thank them for that, but their limited abilities would be even more sorely exposed in the Premier League.

Does anyone think there is a chance Smith will want to keep either of them because I really hope not!

Hutton is out of contract so no. Taylor I can see being retained for the squad. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, PatrickCousens said:

Hutton is out of contract so no. Taylor I can see being retained for the squad. 

Taylor is 100% guaranteed to lose the ball, or more typically give it away in any attacking move he is part of and he is only just about okay as a Championship defender. Surely we shouldn't be relying on a player with those qualities, even as squad filler?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Phillips of Leeds being linked. 

Personally I don't want to sign too many championship players. I wouldn't mind offering Leeds a swap roofe for kodjia

Yeah i agree about Championship players as well.  Be hard to get out of that mindset as we have been looking at them for 10 odd years.  We are in the big time now, couple of good experienced prem players to help us cement our top flight position and rebuild for a year or two.  Likes of Milner springs to mind.

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

For me i'd look at something like this. 

Goalkeeper - Steer, Kalinic

Right Back - Guilbert, Elmo, Bree

Left Back - New LB, Neil Taylor

Centre Back - Mings (Must Sign), Tuanzebe (Must Sign or Loan) ,Chester, Hause

Deep Lying Midfielder - New DLM, Whelan

Central Midfield - Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane, Lansbury

Right Wing - Green, New Winger

Left Wing - El Ghazi

Striker - Abraham (Must Sign or Loan), Kodjia, New Striker

Green isnt prem standard.  We need 1 exceptional RW and a backup RW

3 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Well done to Dean Smith and Villa, it was a sad day when he moved on from us, but that's football for you.

Having worked with both Maupay and Benrahma Dean Smith will have a good incite to know if they will fit in with Villa, out of the two I have seen week in week out at Griffin Park, Benrahma is the more gifted player of the two, considering it was his first full season he has fitted in well and expected to be even better next season, the problem with buying any striker from the championship is that Premiership defences are so much stronger than they have been used to, I think you need a little bit of experience up front, someone like Mitrovic from Fulham would be a good shout.

At Brentford DS went for younger hungry players, not old has been's, he thought that was the way forward, we also didn't do loan players, why develop another teams player? when its just as easy and cheaper to develop  your own, perhaps DS will look abroad like we do, we have made our first signing today, Christian Norgaard from Fiorentina for 3.5 million, never heard of him, but I'd never heard of Maupay or Benrahma either !!!

Good luck in the Premiership, hope we can join you next season in our brand new stadium.

Mitrovic is a good shout. Him and Tammy up top will be a handful

16 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Taylor is 100% guaranteed to lose the ball, or more typically give it away in any attacking move he is part of and he is only just about okay as a Championship defender. Surely we shouldn't be relying on a player with those qualities, even as squad filler?

In an ideal world? No.

However look at it this way - if you got rid of Taylor you would need to find two Left Backs in the same Transfer Window. Very rarely do you find clubs going for multiple players in the same singular position in the same window. If they do, it's because one is clearly as the starter and one is clearly as a backup. Once you've purchased that first left back, it's going to be very hard to purchase the second. They'll just think "Well hang on, exactly how much game time am I going to get when you just signed this other new guy?" You can see how much playing time matters to players by reading the likes of McGinn's comments yesterday.

In a summer where there will be a fair bit of upheaval and outlay of funds, it doesn't seem too astute to try to buy two left backs.

What I expect to happen is this:

- A new Left Back is purchased - either a clear new first choice or a younger player with a lot of potential who would challenge for the first eleven spot.

- Taylor retained until his contract expires.

- A left sided centre back is purchased/loaned who, only when necessary because you would lose some attacking impetus, could also play at left back (e.g. like how we've seen with Hause this year, Barbet at Brentford). They would challenge Taylor for that second-choice role.

• Like 2

Tuanzebe, I think Man u would loan again in the PL.

Mings purchase vital

El Ghazi definitely

Abraham or a new striker

Steer / Lovre

Hause  Mings Tuanzebe Guilbert 

Milner / New CDM

Grealish  Mcginn

El Ghazi .                  New Winger

Abraham

Abraham 20-25

Mings 20

El Ghazi 5-7

Milner Free

New CDM 20-25

New Winger 20-25

Keep the young British spine together (all of which will only increase in value). Milner is a free, all the actual purchases will go on young players who will only improve and value increase. 

5 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Been poor for Fulham

He is still so young and that Fulham team was dreadful. He has so much potential and attacking intent. He would be a dream for Smith with his attacking qualities 

• Like 1

I don't want us to us to sign anyone who we would be lumbered with on a fat salary for a number of years.

We aren't going to be pushing for Europe next season - we need solid if unspectacular players who will give there all to keep us in the division.

I have a feeling that is what we will get.

• Like 1