Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Agree with all of that but we're unlikely to bring back all the loans. Mings and El Ghazi hopefully we can get hold of; we're likely to get bummed on the Mings fee. Don't think we've got much of a chance of getting Tammy or Axel back. So keeping just two of the loans our team will be 6 (!) new players.

RB, CB, LB, DM, RW, ST.

Obviously we could start Taylor and Hourihane, bringing it down to four new players but neither is good enough without plenty of improvement.

Forgot El Ghazi was a loan still! Have we got an option on him? It's 6 if we don't want back up players of the same quality I spose. For backup we could go full Zeman and sign 10 kids for 5 positions and see who makes it!

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Villa report saying we are chasing kalvin Phillips of Leeds. 

I had to do a double take when I saw we were being linked with Kevin Phillips.

He'd bring experience, that's for sure.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Forgot El Ghazi was a loan still! Have we got an option on him? It's 6 if we don't want back up players of the same quality I spose. For backup we could go full Zeman and sign 10 kids for 5 positions and see who makes it!

Rumor is we paid a £2m loan fee and will be another £5m to make it permanent.

Should be a no brainer if he's willing to come since we already put some money into the deal.

Could of course be all bs...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Rather have Delph back than Benteke tbh. Don't rate Benteke at all any more and he is that typical powerful striker that causes teams to lump the ball rather than play out. Delph on the other hand would form a formidable midfield trio with McGinn and Grealish and all of them can play football. Just whether Delph can stay fit and age isn't on his side either. The way he left for City might still rile a lot of fans too.

Just now, Kingman said:

James Milner's available on a free, Any takers?..

He is probably the one former player still playing in the PL that I'd have back.

Gueye of course but that is not an option.

• Like 1

Benteke is on ~£120k a week. 1 year left.

Fabian Delph is on ~£90k a week. 1 year left.

I think both parent clubs will find it hard to shift both of them. Even if they were to take a 30% pay cut, which was subsidised by the parent club, they would still be on the back end of their career.

Benteke has not been the same player as we last saw playing for us at Villa Park. Crystal Palace don't want to keep him. Why would we want a player who a fairly decent mid-table team no longer wants?

As for Delph, on someone who has such high wages, you would expect them to play every week. You wouldn't play him over Grealish or McGinn. And whilst an improvement, there are far better pure left backs out there that are far cheaper and younger. His only real fit would be at the base of Smith's midfield three in the starting XI where, again, I think there are better options to be had on the open market.

There's a much larger post I could write up regarding efficiency and market value and how these two signing would not fit that model at all. Maybe another time.

I think we shouldn't keep looking back at such halcyon days when our previous players were terrific for us. Time has passed, the premier league and footballing world has moved forward - it's time for us to do the same.

• Like 4

Amavi, Veretout and Gueye would be for under £25m would be nice wouldn't it. Who's Paddy Reilly got his eye on?

These sorts of signings now we've got a proper coaching team will fly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You think he’ll go down the ‘young and hungry’ route? 

i wouldnt say that necessarily, but i would imagine the premise might be "a good investment".

ie: a player who is 26/27 or less, who isnt too expensive or too much in the wage dept, who can either perform well and be a good investment for the team if they stay, or be sold on for a healthy profit if they do well and are courted by other teams.

I see literally zero point of signing has beens or stupidly waged players who are looking for their last guaranteed 5 year pay cheque. (we have a big history of making this mistake over and over)

• Like 3

Amavi, Veretout and Gueye would be for under £25m would be nice wouldn't it. Who's Paddy Reilly got his eye on?

Hard to believe those players were part of that awful 2015/16 squad. Would be star players in our team now. Shows we did actually make quality signings that summer, just couldn't mould them into a team and get them to gel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i wouldnt say that necessarily, but i would imagine the premise might be "a good investment".

ie: a player who is 26/27 or less, who isnt too expensive or too much in the wage dept, who can either perform well and be a good investment for the team if they stay, or be sold on for a healthy profit if they do well and are courted by other teams.

I see literally zero point of signing has beens or stupidly waged players who are looking for their last guaranteed 5 year pay cheque. (we have a big history of making this mistake over and over)

I think you are correct but we can’t just have a team of kids, we need a mix of youth and experience like all the top clubs do so well. Of course, we would need funds to achieve this but I think the new owners will back the manager. I think Smith is the best manager we’ve had since MON, he’s proved it so far, let’s back him and see how far we can go

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct but we can’t just have a team of kids, we need a mix of youth and experience like all the top clubs do so well. Of course, we would need funds to achieve this but I think the new owners will back the manager. I think Smith is the best manager we’ve had since MON, he’s proved it so far, let’s back him and see how far we can go

I didn't say kids, I specifically said 26/27 or less, a 27 year old is near their peak.

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Milner deep would be so good.

Don't think it's the sort of signing we'll be making though.

Milner as DM, could be our Pirlo for a couple of years. There's room for one or two old heads if they are the right ones. Milner still covers miles and miles of grass.

We’ve options on ElGhazi and Hause, only an “equivalence” type agreement on Mings. Unless Tuanzebe kicks up a fuss and states he wants to move then he’ll be back at ManUtd next season, unfortunately. We need to secure Mings, Hause, and ElGhazi ASAP and then move on to new signings. I honestly think we’ll move for Maupay, he’s the right age and has, arguably, been slightly more effective in a lesser team than Tammy. There’s potential left in Maupay and also good resale value for a number of years. Same with Tammy but I think Maupay will be easier to secure and a good bit less expensive. Though we have wealthy owners I don’t think we’ll see silly money being thrown around, it’ll be measured signings that are sensible business in both the the shorter and long term. And that’s why I also think we could see Barbet coming in on a free. Right age with potential still there, decent resale value, one of the leagues better CBs. There might be the odd splurge for a bit of stardust if the opportunity arises. LB, CDM, RW, LW, STR are all positions we need to strengthen. I honestly wouldn’t be looking for a GK this window, Jed has the shirt now and there’s Kalinic in reserve. This summer will be a whole lot more interesting than it might have been!

• Like 1