Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, hippo said:

If we don't get Tammy I think it will be an overseas striker 

I don't follow social media or European football but my son seems to think we are after a young striker from Porto. 

He is only 14 (my son that is) and follows lots of rubbish on Instagram so may just be silly season rumours, especially as he was talking about a £30m bid. 

Edited by av1

What about Tavernier at Rangers as another RB option. Pacy, Good engine, okay defensively, crossing and delivery on point. Freekicks and Penalties as well. Could maybe get him for £7-8M, as Guilbert is an unknown, Elmo is getting on a bit and Bree just doesn't seem up to it. Could De Leat be a left field choice? 

I agree with people saying Bowen, really impressed me the past couple seasons. Phillips at Leeds, whilst well thought of and most Leeds fans would say is their best player, he's always one tackle away from a red card imo.

Going to be an interesting few months ahead.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Do we think Phillips from Leeds would be a good addition?, what kind of money would we be talking do you think?

Mentioned Phillips a while back. He would be a fantastic signing IMO.  

Strong in the tackle, athletic, quick, decent passer, can play central defence or sat in front (his best position), young, hungry, played under Bielsa where I am sure he has learned a lot  - He's got a lot going for him. 

I would envisage 12-14 million maybe?! Total guess.

Bielsa signing a year long extension maybe the main stumbling block.

• Like 1

If we get Mings can see us with a new CB, LB and RB. If not Mings then two new CB too (i.e. a whole new defence!). Just seen Ashley Young's nice tweet about us so he'll prob come in at RB. 

We'll try and start season with Grealish, McGinn and El Ghazi. New RW to come in. 

Suspect we'll try Hourihane early doors but will have a new option lined up if not already brought in. I'd love to see him do well next year (any criticism that's gone his way past two years i'm putting firmly at the feet of Bruce) but not sure he has what's needed to be a top prem-level DM that presses, harrasses, breaks down play etc. Think he can do the distribution bit just fine. Please Conor, prove me wrong. 

Can see us spending big on a new striker. Even if we get Tammy, don't think we'll rely just on him. 

Recent interview with Edens suggest moneyball approach likely. I take that to mean several players coming in we've never heard of!. I feel confident we've got the right structure and coaching in place to get the most out of these types of players where in the past we've failed, they've left and gone on to play at top level and are in demand (Veretout etc).

Looks like we're well stocked for GK's. Can't see us doing much there. Get shot of Bunn though (please for the love of god) and find Sarkic a loan where he's going to play regular games.
With Guilbert coming in and Elmo still about RB should be covered. Time for Hutton to go and I'd let Bree go too.
Keeping hold of Taylor as back up to a new LB would seem the move there.
Keep hold of Chester. No more Richards (YAY!). Elphick isn't going to cut it in the PL imo. Mings has to happen. Hause, if cheap, would provide good cover. Whether we can get hold of Axel I'm not so sure but we should try.
Jedinak is surely off. Whelan as back up to a new DM would be ok imo. Grealish, McGinn and Hourihane all fine. Perhaps Lansbury survives any cull. Just think Smith might like him. Gardner is done. Tshibola - nah, not for me. O'Hare could probably do with a year in the Championship somewhere. Bjarnason can go. JDH well whats going on there? and we probably cant talk about him anyway. Loan out somewhere if he's not leaving.

So it obviously depends on making some loans permanent (or finding other players for their positions) and basically finding a new DM and a new LB and I think we'd have a solid enough base to work with in our first year back.

It's up top we have loads of issues imo. I can't see Tammy leaving Chelsea with the Transfer embargo in place. Kodjia is still the pick of our forwards. Hogan and McCormack are both under contract. Davis could probably do with a year out on loan playing regular games. Same goes for RHM. Adomah and Green haven't exactly set the world alight in the Championship this year and I like them both, I think they get unwarranted and way OTT abuse on here at times, but there are undoubtedly better players out there. El Ghazi wants to stay and we'd be crazy not to let him.

So in an ideal world we buy Tammy and El Ghazi and upgrade the right side. I think we'll be looking for a different striker(s) though and buying a couple of wingers as well as AEG. Lolley would do great as one of those signings imo. Bowen has had a really impressive year at Hull. James at Swansea looks a real gem.

28 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I mostly agree, but I think we will need another central midfielder too. Lansbury is not good enough for the Premier League, and I’m unconvinced about Hourihane being able to step up. I’d probably want another centre back too, maybe someone like Cahill with experience to help us establish ourselves again. 

I don't disagree. I'm just wary of how many people we sign. I think our midfield might just about do for the first window.

3 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

What about Tavernier at Rangers as another RB option. Pacy, Good engine, okay defensively, crossing and delivery on point. Freekicks and Penalties as well. Could maybe get him for £7-8M, as Guilbert is an unknown, Elmo is getting on a bit and Bree just doesn't seem up to it. Could De Leat be a left field choice? 

I agree with people saying Bowen, really impressed me the past couple seasons. Phillips at Leeds, whilst well thought of and most Leeds fans would say is their best player, he's always one tackle away from a red card imo.

Going to be an interesting few months ahead.

Tavernier is a good shout as is Kent from Rangers (for the right price), thing is with scottish football it's hard to assess the quality of the player due to the standard of football, though we certainly struck gold with McGinniesta ;) 

Whilst you're right with Phillips, I think having someone in our side that is a bit on the edge would add some steal to our team and help us to mix it up when we need to. 

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

I don't follow social media or European football but my son seems to think we are after a young striker from Porto. 

He is only 14 (my son that is) and follows lots of rubbish on Instagram so may just be silly season rumours, especially as he was talking about a £30m bid. 

moussa marega

French born Mali striker, 28 years old, 11 goals last season, 34m rumoured bid

finished 11th in the scoring chart for porto last year, im writing him off already, doesn't seem legit at all, we could get tammy for that much, just as unproven and a lot younger

edit - apparently the link comes from him being a steve bruce target if we had beat Fulham, he had a better season the year before scoring 20 goals, we're now "back in for him"

Edited by villa4europe

Part of me would be tempted to try and build a young, hungry team, that if successful can develop in the Prem, or if god forbid we get relegated, we can get right back up? (lets hope not tho).

I would also try and sign a few foreign players ofc, but i would possibly like us to go for the cream of the championship, then add some good cheap foreigners?

Possible championship player purchases?

Lolley - Forest

Maupay - Brentford (not sure he would suit the 1 up top system in the Prem?)

Carvalho - Forest (is he any good?)

Mount - Derby (yes Chelsea - but worth a punt? - probably too expensive)

Phillips - Leeds

Justin - Luton (League 1)

the Liverpool dude currently in Scotland?

Any other quality championship players who could step up?

then ofc any other players :P

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

moussa marega

finished 11th in the scoring chart for porto last year, im writing him off already, doesn't seem legit at all, we could get tammy for that much, just as unproven and a lot younger

edit - apparently the link comes from him being a steve bruce target if we had beat Fulham, he had a better season the year before scoring 20 goals, we're now "back in for him"

if a player is only scoring 11 in Portugal, i wouldnt hold out much hope for them being prolofic in the Prem.

Could be wrong tho, always players that buck the trend.

13 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Mentioned Phillips a while back. He would be a fantastic signing IMO.  

Strong in the tackle, athletic, quick, decent passer, can play central defence or sat in front (his best position), young, hungry, played under Bielsa where I am sure he has learned a lot  - He's got a lot going for him. 

I would envisage 12-14 million maybe?! Total guess.

Bielsa signing a year long extension maybe the main stumbling block.

sounds like a steal for the 12-15m mark.

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Part of me would be tempted to try and build a young, hungry team, that if successful can develop in the Prem, or if god forbid we get relegated, we can get right back up? (lets hope not tho).

I would also try and sign a few foreign players ofc, but i would possibly like us to go for the cream of the championship, then add some good cheap foreigners?

Possible championship player purchases?

Lolley - Forest

Maupay - Brentford (not sure he would suit the 1 up top system in the Prem?)

Carvalho - Forest (is he any good?)

Mount - Derby (yes Chelsea - but worth a punt? - probably too expensive)

Phillips - Leeds

Justin - Luton (League 1)

the Liverpool dude currently in Scotland?

Any other quality championship players who could step up?

then ofc any other players :P

Best players ive seen this season............. Benrahma at Brentford, Tom Bayliss at Cov

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

moussa marega

He's okish but where we are going we don't need Marenga :) Much better out there!

16 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Tavernier is a good shout as is Kent from Rangers (for the right price), thing is with scottish football it's hard to assess the quality of the player due to the standard of football, though we certainly struck gold with McGinniesta ;) 

Whilst you're right with Phillips, I think having someone in our side that is a bit on the edge would add some steal to our team and help us to mix it up when we need to. 

I am a Rangers fan, I personally think the Scottish league is a lot better than people give it credit for. There's many players who came via that route that are/were playing to a high level in the Premier League/Championship. McGinn is just another recent example of this. Tavernier is one of the most consistent players I've seen, he could cut it in the Premier League no problem. Kent, whilst he's had a sort of breakthrough year at Rangers, his previous loans haven't gone great. So it's a definite risk buying him, especially with the £10M price tag imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hitzlsperger_12 said:

I am a Rangers fan, I personally think the Scottish league is a lot better than people give it credit for. There's many players who came via that route that are/were playing to a high level in the Premier League/Championship. McGinn is just another recent example of this. Tavernier is one of the most consistent players I've seen, he could cut it in the Premier League no problem. Kent, whilst he's had a sort of breakthrough year at Rangers, his previous loans haven't gone great. So it's a definite risk buying him, especially with the £10M price tag imo.

I want see David Turnbull at Villa from Motherwell! top, Top talent in my view....  he can easily do a McGinn down here i've seen enough to suggest he would be a great pickup his potential is huge.

James Tavernier i do not rate and wouldn't want see him anywhere near Villa.  No thank to that suggestion.

Edited by Villan4Life

I do really wonder if Smith is seriously looking at championship players like Maupay, Benrahama, Phillips, Lolley etc or whether the club is looking in a different direction now we are promoted?