Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

The club policy now is to sign young talented players with the right attitude, and then add value to them in terms of sell on value. That should rule out any 'end of career' contracts for older players, no matter how illustrious their careers so far.

3 minutes ago, Indigo said:

There's obviously a balance to be struck between the two extremes here which are people just naming random young players from the lower leagues they've barely seen play (/Brentford players that even Brentford fans think they can improve on), or bringing in as many former players as possible for some reason.

Each player is a case by case basis. You can't really lump Milner in the same bracket as Albrighton etc. I'm all for the approach of signing younger players and not repeating the mistakes of the past but he is an outlier in this case and a player we'd be mad to turn our noses up at if he became available for a season on two. If anything a player of Milner's quality and experience right in midfield would be the perfect supplement for everything else we're doing. Purely hypothetical of course but that's a no brainer for me.

Yep, our model is young, talented, attacking, players we can improve and not paying through the arse any more for a squad with no soul. We have built up a core, and the beating heart and soul of the squad are Smith and Grealish. That's amazing news for the future of the club, BUT Milner playing where we've tried Whelan, Hourihane, Jedi etc. in the Prem would be **** amazing.

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The obsession with signing loads of Championship players is a bit weird. There's an entire world out there. 

I'd be looking over to Eastern Europe. The Slavic nations have been producing top quality technical footballers, with the athleticism to compete in the Premier League since forever yet this still feels like a relatively untapped market. It may be my imagination but it feels like these players often do a stint in Spain or Italy before they land in England, with some notable exceptions like Modric. Imagine signing a Modric. 

Whilst I agree with you that we should be looking at players from abroad and finding our own "Modric", my knowledge of the European league is non-existent to be honest, except for the household names. I think there may be others who are the same.

Hopefully you are right though and our scouting network is much superior to times gone by and we find a few hidden gems that can grow with us over a period of time.

I am interested to know though, if we were to purchase the likes of Lolley, Bowen, Phillips, Maupay ETC (and not be ripped off), would you be happy with any of these players or are they a definite no go for you? 

1 minute ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Whilst I agree with you that we should be looking at players from abroad and finding our own "Modric", my knowledge of the European league is non-existent to be honest, except for the household names. I think there may be others who are the same.

Hopefully you are right though and our scouting network is much superior to times gone by and we find a few hidden gems that can grow with us over a period of time.

I am interested to know though, if we were to purchase the likes of Lolley, Bowen, Phillips, Maupay ETC (and not be ripped off), would you be happy with any of these players or are they a definite no go for you? 

Lolley I'd take if it wasn't take the piss money.

10 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Delph wouldn't come, Benteke no, Milner though I don't really put that idea in the ridiculous basket? On a free mitigates the wages a bit, relegation clause in his contract to protect against going down and still having to pay top dollar.

Why not?

Otherwise I both expect and hope we'll be signing sub 26 year old players, with the best value coming from outside the UK. We need a lot of signings, one or two older heads is a good idea IMO.

Milner on a free would be the only ex player i would be interested in, Benteke is shot/shit, not sure delph is any better than he was when he left, combined with the way he left and the fact that he has averaged (5,293 minutes played in total) 14 full 90 minute games per year for city out of the 60+ games they play every year means he isn't exactly used to having to give everything every week

120,000 per week for Milner is just over 12 million over 2 years & would be a bargain. Exactly the type of hard worker you need in the first season back in the league and he is probably fitter than most of the guys 10+ years younger than him anyway.

Really can't see him leaving Liverpool to come here though, Not like he's sat there getting splinters in his arse, He has played 44 times for them this season in all competitions averaging about 65 minutes per game

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Anyone think that Mark Albrighton might return?

At 30 he may just have the right balance of experience and fitness that we need.Seeing as he spends his days off from Leicester watching from the Holte End it could be an easy sell 👍

I honestly think he'd walk back if offered the chance. 

I'd love to try get amavi back. He was excellent. We need a LB like that back here. 

Him and sessagnon on the left would be awesome. 

We should make a bid for sessagnon now. He would. Probably cost around 25m but be well worth it as he is so young and he will get so much better. 

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

Milner on a free would be the only ex player i would be interested in, Benteke is shot/shit, not sure delph is any better than he was when he left, combined with the way he left and the fact that he has averaged (5,293 minutes played in total) 14 full 90 minute games per year for city out of the 60+ games they play every year means he isn't exactly used to having to give everything every week

120,000 per week for Milner is just over 12 million over 2 years & would be a bargain. Exactly the type of hard worker you need in the first season back in the league and he is probably fitter than most of the guys 10+ years younger than him anyway.

Really can't see him leaving Liverpool to come here though, Not like he's sat there getting splinters in his arse, He has played 44 times for them this season in all competitions averaging about 65 minutes per game

Milner is out of contract this summer, so if they don't offer him a new one....

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Lolley I'd take if it wasn't take the piss money.

Definitely, he's got great ability, can dribble, pass, shoot and would improve our starting eleven no end, add the Villa connection and I think he would be a perfect signing.

But you're right, at the right price.

1 hour ago, YLN said:

Potentially unpopular opinion. I think we need to start next season with at least 7/8 of the players that started the play off final.

Gutting the team and starting a whole load of signings next season is not the way to go. We are a 14-17 Premier League team at the moment i reckon. It would be easy to tip the balance in one direction or the other. We need to be careful we don't start accumulating 10 million pound players and swapping them in for our current starting eleven and throwing off the team dynamic completely. 

New LB, RB, RW and ST and some promising youth players. Ashley Westwood types.

And buy the loanees obv

Its not an unpopular opinion, i just think its unrealistic if we are to stay in the premiership.

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

The obsession with signing loads of Championship players is a bit weird. There's an entire world out there. 

I'd be looking over to Eastern Europe. The Slavic nations have been producing top quality technical footballers, with the athleticism to compete in the Premier League since forever yet this still feels like a relatively untapped market. It may be my imagination but it feels like these players often do a stint in Spain or Italy before they land in England, with some notable exceptions like Modric. Imagine signing a Modric. 

I would agree with you in principle but having watched footie in Bulgaria, Romania, Slovakia and Poland the standard is pap. Any half decent player will move to a western European team in his teens. Its a shame  as formally great sides such as Steaua, CSKA Sofia, Slovan Bratislavia will never ever be anywhere near challenging for European titles again.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'd love to try get amavi back. He was excellent. We need a LB like that back here. 

Him and sessagnon on the left would be awesome. 

We should make a bid for sessagnon now. He would. Probably cost around 25m but be well worth it as he is so young and he will get so much better. 

He's rated at close to £60m and is apparently very much on Spurs radar.

15 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I understand that. It's not that I don't think some Championship players are good enough to step up, quite the opposite, it's more that I think we would be missing a massive trick by focusing all of our efforts on building a Championship dream team again. This time in the PL. There's a huge market out there to explore. 

I wouldn't be unhappy with any of those players individually no. I rate all of them, Phillips less so but still. I would be disappointed if that's all we did. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, romavillan said:

This is Bournemouth station apparently :D

You don't do this if you don't have affection for a club....I have a feeling this boy will be ours this summer.

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Totally agree and does anyone  know if former wundekid  Alen Halilović has progressed since leaving Barca ... I see he has been at Hamburg, AC Milan and Standard Liege these past few seasons. Supposed to be the next big thing ..... 

Personally think sessegnon is incredibly over rated. Did nothing in the prem. Would take lolley and Bowen from the champ. Buy mings as a priority and Hauser as backup. Not fussed either way about tammy.

We will definitely be bringing in some unheard of foreign talents. Smith has had success doing this so quite excited to see what happens. If money no object now can't we just terminate McCormack?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, New_Hope said:

You don't do this if you don't have affection for a club....I have a feeling this boy will be ours this summer.

Hilarious how he must have just sat on the train from London wearing it. Tyrone loves the f***ing Villa and so do i