Racism Part two

Demitri_C

It’s 330,000,000 people with easy access to guns and drugs but less easy access to good food and education and health. There are places where its easier to get a gun than clean water.

So there is always going to be crime and there is always going to be killing. If they managed to get 99% of all people to be happy and cool and relaxed with all their health and wealth needs met, there would still be millions below that line.

I think it’s a campaign to make the killing less biased and more fairly distributed.

• Like 3

You have to wonder, that despite 21 days of protests across America whether anything is going to change.  The Executive Order is not worth the paper it's written on, I mean a voluntary national database on officers, when that data can be requested anyway without it.  A chokehold ban except when the officer feels his life is in danger....is that materially different to what most states have now.  It just seems more delay tactics and hope that protests dwindle out, a new distraction comes on the table or it's so long that it's somebody else's problem.  It just feels that nothing is going to change because the real people that can make the change arent really listening or at best pretending to listen.

The question then is, can America change?  You can see it on tv, on youtube how hard some people have their beliefs from race to guns.  You hope for generational change and once the old guard that are now in their 60's, 70's and 80's have left Washington that my generation in their forties really make some good changes and then improved by the generation after me in their 20's and 30's do even better.  It should never take that long and it musnt take that long, but not only changing laws will fix this because it wont.  Changing mind sets because it is the mind of the individual that takes the shot is what needs to change and that isn't overnight.  We have to do better but I'm worried those in charge at the moment, the older American mostly Republican generation dont want that change... 

Edited by nick76

U.K.

We’ve moved on from statues, we’re now on with offensive gravestones.

music-hall-singer-g-h-elliotts-grave-rot

Covered whilst the church tries to find living relatives to work out what to do.

They were entertainers, died in the 60’s, the 1960’s. The description of them on the stone is no longer acceptable.

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

U.K.

Covered whilst the church tries to find living relatives to work out what to do.

They were entertainers, died in the 60’s, the 1960’s. The description of them on the stone is no longer acceptable.

Minstrels?

Oh god, wait until some former MP goes to a news agent for some sweets. 

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Interestingly, he was a minstrel, he used to do blackface. 

The grave had the lines:

’G.H.Elliott,

The Chocolate Coloured C’

Hide contents

My life , different times and all that. 
I went on a guided tour of the Hoover Dam once, it was great but the guide told us about a commemorative plaque for a dog on the site but he said he can’t say its name as its offensive. Fast forward to a huge huddle of people stood round said plaque, the dogs name is omitted. I thought oh it’s probably innocent, like blackie or something for a black dog. It wasnt. 

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

EaksPtNX0AYUvDF?format=jpg&name=medium

Trouble with a chart like that , as although interesting in showing the huge skew  , it doesn't give enough data as to why ,  presumably systemic racism is a factor in these statistics as much as racist police ?  

I read somewhere that shootings of "unarmed" victims has decreased  , so the data in the chart you linked could infer that Black and Hispanics are more likely to be armed  in realtion to the population demographic ? for example FBI arrest data appears to show that African  Americans  arrested for carrying weapons is 54,715  (43%) v 68,756  (54%) for whites, and they make up the majority of suspects arrested and charged with violent crimes such as murder and robbery ...  that info probably correlates to the Fatal police data graphic you've shared  somewhere ?  Obviously taking gun happy racist police of the street is a good start , but America has a lot more to do if we assume these stats are linked to things like employment, wealth, education and my  "systemic racism"  thought  ......

business insider have a huge amount of eye watering data on the subject 

Black Americans per capita income is around 42% lower than for whites 

Also , not linked to my previous point . but  Aljazeera have a chart by state , which is quite interesting ....   seems Utah has the highest disproportionate death rate of African Americans v population in the state 

In Utah, the African Americans comprise just 1.06 percent of the population, but they accounted for 10 percent of police killings over the past seven years - a disproportional rate of 9.21 times

• Like 1

A family friend has a black mate whose nickname has always set me on edge. Apparently it's what the bloke likes to be referred to as. The name?

Spoiler

'Spade'

Absolutely hate it every time I've heard it uttered.

19 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Trouble with a chart like that , as although interesting in showing the huge skew  , it doesn't give enough data as to why  

Absolutely agree.

I was hoping it would be taken as one of a few posts I’d put up where I did say the data was bamboozling and even the definitions of what ‘white’ were or what poverty was or even what prison was were just all over the place. I never know what sources are trustworthy for US info., post up something by Washington Post or Fox or CNN and instantly half the audience presume its bullshit.

It was more to illustrate a direction of travel, that for whatever reason and however you dissect all the stats, black people make up a disproportionate number of deaths and prison sentences. That you can point at every individual case and say x was killed because he resisted, y was killed because he was stupid, z was killed because he didn’t know if he was supposed to not move or turn out his pockets or lay on the ground...

There always appears to be a reason or an excuse. But somehow, it always ends up in a disproportionate amount of terribly bad luck and poor judgement for the black males.

So unless we are going to propose black men are just plain genetically unlucky, then something else is at play.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

U.K.

I wonder if there have actually been complaints or if they're just covering it up out of fear of causing offence.  

Edited by Davkaus

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder if there have actually been complaints or if they're just covering it up out of fear of causing offence.  

Probably just thought the admin in sticking a bin liner over them was easier than the admin involved if anyone did decide they wanted to take a sledgehammer to it. 

Edited by ml1dch

Shall I tell you what’s worse than Racism? Being a victim of racism and doing nothing about it. 

When I was a kid playing football once a group of about 10 skinheads walked past. Being the only ‘brown’ kid playing they started shouting racist abuse at me. 

You know what I did? Absolutely nothing. I shit myself and took the abuse until they just left.   Whilst it was the sensible thing to do I regret it to this day that I just stood there and took the abuse.  As I got older I vowed I would never tolerate any form of racism directed at me again and I’ve stuck to that. 

Now I know this has nothing to do with the protests and the kind of racism that BLM is fighting is a lot more complex than direct racial abuse.  

I’m also not trying to make some sort of point. 

I just wanted to share this with you all. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My understanding is that they’ve been ‘aware’ of them for a long time and didn’t really know what to do about it.

But now the subject is hot they thought they should do ‘something’, rather than have them vandalised, or protected by an elite guard of EDL grave nonces.

It’s two slightly different cases too, the bloke described as chocolate coloured actually wasn’t, he used to black up. The woman described as ‘a c*** singer’ actually was black and that wasn’t her choice of epitaph.

40 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Shall I tell you what’s worse than Racism? Being a victim of racism and doing nothing about it. 

When I was a kid playing football once a group of about 10 skinheads walked past. Being the only ‘brown’ kid playing they started shouting racist abuse at me. 

You know what I did? Absolutely nothing. I shit myself and took the abuse until they just left.   Whilst it was the sensible thing to do I regret it to this day that I just stood there and took the abuse.  As I got older I vowed I would never tolerate any form of racism directed at me again and I’ve stuck to that. 

Now I know this has nothing to do with the protests and the kind of racism that BLM is fighting is a lot more complex than direct racial abuse.  

I’m also not trying to make some sort of point. 

I just wanted to share this with you all. 

That's shitty.

No surprise at all you didn't say anything to a big group. If one of your friends said something to show they supported you then you'd have had an easier time biting back. Easy to say at my age though as I'd have been too scared as a kid up until about 13. Absolutely no blame on you. As adults we understand most of these gobby dipshits aren't threatening at all, but as a kid them fronting up and shouting at you in a group would be terrifying and that's probably what would have happened.

Stuff like this absolutely is what BLM is fighting for. The movement was sparked by incidents with police in America, but the main fightback will always be education. In an ideal world every one of those guys is taught you shouldn't judge people superficially before they even started school and never develops prejudices. Maybe one does, but all your friends have been taught to stand up to bullies too so they all up to them. If everyone was properly educated like this it's unlikely any discriminatory legislation or practices ever comes into existence.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

Uh-oh, looks like the Uncle Ben's logo and some syrup called Aunt Jemima could be going.

Sure people will be extremely angered by this on social media and then never thinks about it again after it's changed.

19 hours ago, Chindie said:

I don't tend to align with him all that often, and I didn't on this occasion either.

He basically says that undoubtedly America has a race problem and the Floyd murder is despicable act born of extremely callous misconduct.

But... He then basically goes on to say that police kill a number of people every year and this is inevitable, and in many cases are perfectly justified in doing so. He then posits that of those deaths the majority are white people. He rubbishes the statistics on pure population split by arguing that crime statistics are more relevant, in which case the figures become much higher for black people and when you accept that police are going to inevitably kill some people, then your going to inevitably end up with considerably more black dead people.

He does concede that it seems police are more likely to use force against black people, of all kinds, but generally they are less likely to kill black people than white, and also that it appears non-white officers are more likely to kill black people than white officers. He also concedes that police are poorly trained on how to deal with many situations, but also that the job is difficult and in many cases the actions of those being arrested contribute to their deaths.

He ends up basically in a rant against the left with a plea to ditch race politics or reap the whirlwind.

Incredible that he can suggest something so daft to be honest.

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Uh-oh, looks like the Uncle Ben's logo and some syrup called Aunt Jemima could be going.

Sure people will be extremely angered by this on social media and then never thinks about it again after it's changed.

Aunt Bessie will survive due to white supremacy :trollface:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

A family friend has a black mate whose nickname has always set me on edge. Apparently it's what the bloke likes to be referred to as. The name?

Reveal hidden contents

'Spade'

Absolutely hate it every time I've heard it uttered.

I mean: how and why (would he like to be referred to it not why it would obviously set you on edge)?

2 hours ago, sne said:

I always wondered how Uncle Ben's had managed to survive this far tbh,

• Like 1

Â