Racism Part two

Demitri_C

I just think the name itself Black Lives Matter is a bit clumsy and easily hijackable and using the alternative slogans of All/White Lives Matter can get traction on social media especially, while they all completely miss the point (either purposely or through ignorance) it seems to entrench people further into their corner of the political spectrum.  

54 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yep , i had that one from friends in a WhatsApp group  ... pointed out , not only do they wear a shirt with a poppy on it , it is then sold off after the match to raise money for charity , been going on for years   ..not one word back

Even my "Yay , its back comment"  on Facebook yesterday  , first reply " What the **** were those clowns doing on their knees????"

These are friends who I grew up with , they aren't Britain first Nazi types ,  they are just from that era and their occasional casual racism comment has sort of been a way of life to them ,   but both these comments go way way beyond that ... I'm not the sort who is going to go around defriending people because they don't agree with taking a knee but there comes a point when you realise you've outgrown some old friends

I've said for a while that people naturally don't like being told how they live is wrong.

The whole point of BLM is pointing out that the country you live in is inherently racist. So a lot of people's natural reaction to that is to deny deny deny because they can't accept that the country they live in and their way of life is racist, even if it's not directly accusing them of anything.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

One of the best bits of The Office is when David Brent gets Fray Bentos mixed up with Fidel Castro but it's only very recently that I realised that Fray Bentos is a place, not a person. 

It's a make of pie...

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

It is, but it's also a place in Uruguay which is big on meat processing. Where the Fray Bentos products originate. 

I know but I think the joke in the office was because it was a pie rather than it being a place.

Like it wouldn't have been as funny if he'd said Montevideo as his answer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I know but I think the joke in the office was because it was a pie rather than it being a place.

Like it wouldn't have been as funny if he'd said Montevideo as his answer.

Surely the joke is that Brent thought Fray Bentos was the Cuban leader rather than Fidel Castro was a pie?

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

it seems wrong to then stereotype the English

That isn't what happened though is it?. No-one said this was all English people, you've projected that yourself. It's a description of a small section of British Society and its pretty bloody accurate

48 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Surely the joke is that Brent thought Fray Bentos was the Cuban leader rather than Fidel Castro was a pie?

Yes that's the joke but it's funny because it's a brand of pie. It's not funny because it's a random town in Uruguay

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What’s the issue with swing low? 

Being welsh, I don’t know the words or the context beyond ‘swing low, sweet chariot’

I think there is a perception that rugger types decided to Increase and focus the singing of an African American spiritual song to celebrate Martin Offiah.

The english rugger types say this is tosh and piffle and they embrace absolute equality and it never occurred to them there was any connection as they don’t see colour.

I personally have no opinion.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What’s the issue with swing low? 

Being welsh, I don’t know the words or the context beyond ‘swing low, sweet chariot’

No idea, it’s an Afro-American spiritual, possibly about the Underground Railroad. It was also used in the ‘60s by Civil Rights protesters.

whats funny, is that the RFU don’t know this

Â