Racism Part two

Demitri_C

in fairness, it's 1 man, it went viral. he handed himself in, therefore it was much easier to get it done and dusted nice and quickly. if the exact individual that threw an object that hit a police horse went as public, i have no doubt they would have been dealt with as quickly and severely

it caused public outcry...it needed to be dealt with swiftly

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Like saying two thieves rob a house one gets caught then people ask about the other theif then you get called priceless. 

Just because you support their notion no excuse to defend that they shouldnt be punished.

Funny how everyone who was yelling about the right wing racists peeing and throwing bottles are not asking for action for those left wing idiots who assaulted police on horses the week before?

But yeah lets let them off because i/you share their beliefs. .

I didn't say I shared their beliefs, I didn't say they should be let off and we don't know they haven't been punished.

• Like 1

Going to take a punt on this. If a BLM protestor or someone who was part of that protest took a slash near, adjacent to a memorial or a policeman downed as part of terrorist activity, if that happened and photos of it were around. Without doubt there would be a similar outpouring of condemnation. If not more. Would the same anger be on here, probably. Would the same sentence be passed by the courts, probably. 

• Like 1

This was particularly quick for two reasons. Firstly, as pointed out, he handed himself in, and plead guilty. Secondly, due to the expectation there'd be a lot of trouble this weekend, magistrate court opening hours were extended with the goal of getting through any protest related cases quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Why do you say that?

I’m personally ok with sentences at the top end of the scale being dished out to help de-escalate the situation. It’s not a normal situation. It’s especially reckless in the current climate.

Sorry, realise I didn't actually answer your question. Basically, I find 'mob justice' even more concerning than 'mob rule'. The principle of 'equal treatment before the law' gets bent or broken in many ways (not just 'some people can afford fancy lawyers and some can't', but also judges give harsher sentences in the last hearing before the lunch than the first one afterwards), but it's an important principle and we should work towards it at all times.

30 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I didn't say I shared their beliefs, I didn't say they should be let off and we don't know they haven't been punished.

Your priceless comment suggest otherwise 🙂

Priti Patel did put a proposal forward after the original violence at the first BLM protests that there should be fast track court hearings available to get people in prison within 24 hours should the BLM protests persist and violence and vandalism break out again.

They were caught on the hop at the first protest, 135,000 people had marched peacefully and then there was trouble after the event.

But they hadn’t managed to get the legislation through in time, so there was no quickly court set up for the right wing protests this last weekend. It’s simply a case of one pissed idiot managed to get his face and arse on camera and his dad persuaded him to turn himself in. Had he intended to please guilty he would not have been processed this morning.

It could potentially be, that by the time of any further protests, there could be quickly courts waiting to process people. As there have been in the past after riots in 2011 and after some well publicised bank holidays.

The right wing people have just been stupid enough to go looking for trouble, 7 days after the police were criticised for not clamping down on people. Whereas the official BLM protest was cancelled to avoid any further trouble.

It’s not that people were being unfair to fascists, just that they didn’t have much of a strategy.

30 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Going to take a punt on this. If a BLM protestor or someone who was part of that protest took a slash near, adjacent to a memorial or a policeman downed as part of terrorist activity, if that happened and photos of it were around. Without doubt there would be a similar outpouring of condemnation. If not more. Would the same anger be on here, probably. Would the same sentence be passed by the courts, probably. 

I doubt it mate but that is a very good question.

Incidentally, it might be worth noting that along with the Mayor of Bristol being ambivalent about the Colston statue and the Head of Avon and Somerset Police being ambivalent about the statue, the local paper, the Bristol Evening Post, basically issued a guide for BLM protestors on what to do should they get arrested.

Advice

Yesterday evening, The Bristol Rising: BLM group said: “Some advice we've received from Bristol Defendant Solidarity for people present or involved in the take down of the Colston statue: 

"Don't panic, and don't hand yourself in. You will get solid support and solidarity from us (Bristol Rising: BLM), Bristol Defendant Solidarity and a lot of good people on your side and on the right side of history.

“Don't chat publicly about [you], or anyone else's involvement.

“Keep all stories and accounts off your own social media. Encourage others to do the same.

I’m not saying that’s the correct approach. But it is interesting.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Guy gets arrested for pissing on a dead police officers memorial.

"But...but what about.."

Priceless.

It was just a question nothing more nothing less. I was not saying he shouldn't be punished, just wondered why nothing has been heard of the person who sprayed painted Churchill's statue.  Anyway that's me finished on this thread. 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

It was just a question nothing more nothing less. I was not saying he shouldn't be punished, just wondered why nothing has been heard of the person who sprayed painted Churchill's statue.  

Because as far as I am aware he hasn't been arrested, therefore he hasn't been charged, therefore he hasn't pleaded guilty, therefore hasn't been sentenced.

Other than that, the two cases are just the same. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

just wondered why nothing has been heard of the person who sprayed painted Churchill's statue.

Because they've not been identified. Turns out it's a lot easier to solve crime when the criminal arrives at the police station and confesses, who knew.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

It was just a question nothing more nothing less. I was not saying he shouldn't be punished, just wondered why nothing has been heard of the person who sprayed painted Churchill's statue.  Anyway that's me finished on this thread. 

Was that person that did the spray painting photographed smiling at the camera, spotted by his dad and handed in with a confession?

I think there’s a basic misunderstanding here. Plod haven’t run face recognition software, jumped in a helicopter and dawn raided the guy’s house. He handed himself in.

We’re in danger of giving the police far more credit and discrimination than they deserve here.

It's also worth noting that the woman who tried to set the Union flag on fire on the cenotaph was charged with criminal damage and bailed pending a court date in July.

When I was a kid, late 70’s, early 80’s, the first bank holiday of the year would take the police by surprise. Every year.

The second bank holiday, the police would be better prepared and people would get their cases processed before the people arrested on the first occasion.

I think there could be something similar here. To cause trouble in the same place on a second consecutive weekend is not going to turn out well for you.

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think there could be something similar here. To cause trouble in the same place on a second consecutive weekend is not going to turn out well for you.

I think you're exactly right. there were quite a few arrests during the BLM cases, a few days later it was announced they'd be prioritising cases the next weekend and extending court hours.

Other cases we haven't heard more about are likely going to fall in to one of:

• Still haven't gone to court due to insufficient evidence, requiring further investigation or because the defendant isn't pleading guilty, which obviously takes more time
  • Have gone to court but just didn't get as much media attention
  • Or in the Churchill plinth case, they've evaded arrest entirely.

Edited by Davkaus

It's an important principle to remember that when evidence of a crime comes to light, the police should act upon it - it's kind of universal isn't it?

Which is why Dominic Cummings was charged with breaking the lockdown once that came to light , and why he wasn't defended by the Cabinet and why the Durham Police didn't say that  In line with Durham constabulary’s general approach throughout the pandemic, there is no intention to take retrospective action in respect of the Barnard Castle incident since this would amount to treating Mr Cummings differently from other members of the public.

Easy.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's also worth noting that the woman who tried to set the Union flag on fire on the cenotaph was charged with criminal damage and bailed pending a court date in July.

would you happen to have a link for that? googled but can't find it. be a useful piece of ammo for a lot of the whatifism that i'm seeing around

Just now, tomav84 said:

would you happen to have a link for that? googled but can't find it. be a useful piece of ammo for a lot of the whatifism that i'm seeing around

It's barely a footnote here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-53010198

I suspect it'll get a bit more coverage closer to the time.

The Metropolitan Police say a 20-year-old woman was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage in connection with the incident at the Cenotaph. She has been bailed to a later date in July.

• Thanks 1

Â