Racism Part two

Demitri_C

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Offiah used to come to a club night I ran quite regularly but anyway... I really don't think the song was ever about him, like Brian Moore said, it was sang in Rugby Clubs years before Offiah was even a Rugby Player of any code. We used to sing it after games at our club and that was in the late '70s (Brian Moore made me remember that)

I agree - I was just explaining the Offiah story as @chrisp65 brought it up. It was definitely sung at Offiah at the Middlesex Sevens, and generally thought to be in reference to his "Chariots" nickname.

But yes, no doubt the origins go back much further. Either way, I don't think they ever had anything to do with race.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Wales rugby sing a song called Delilah.

It’s about stabbing your girlfriend because she laughed at you after shagging another bloke.

Yeah, that song pretty much defines 'problematic' really.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

He was actually smeone I really disliked as a player but in recent years he's become a voice of reason in some areas

When Moore commentates on the BBC I find him insufferable.  I'm not a fan of the sport at the best of times but listening to him as well just makes me want to throw stuff at the TV.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

When Moore commentates on the BBC I find him insufferable.  I'm not a fan of the sport at the best of times but listening to him as well just makes me want to throw stuff at the TV.

No I agree but when it comes to some politics like Brexit and other current stuff, his actual opinions are in the right area.

• Like 1

Just had an out-of-office from a client at a company based in Cheshire.

They've taken the day off for the Juneteenth holiday.

Caught in two minds really. It's an American-owned company, so sort of makes sense, and showing solidarity with Black Lives Matter like this is a welcome gesture. But equally, a little piece inside of me dies when an American holiday or custom is imported to the UK like that.

Just now, bickster said:

The what?

Exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Juneteenth (a portmanteau of June and nineteenth;[2] also known as Freedom Day,[3] Jubilee Day,[4] and Liberation Day[5]) is an unofficial American holiday and an official Texas state holiday, celebrated annually on the 19th of June in the United States to commemorate Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in the city of Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all slaves in Texas were now free.[6] Although the Emancipation Proclamation had formally freed them almost two and a half years earlier and the American Civil War had largely ended with the defeat of the Confederate States in April, Texas was the most remote of the slave states, with a low presence of Union troops, so enforcement of the proclamation had been slow and inconsistent.[6]

A common misconception is that this day marks the end of slavery in the United States. Although this day marks the emancipation of all slaves in the Confederacy, the institution of slavery was still legal and existed in the Union border states after June 19, 1865.[7][8] Slavery in the United States did not officially end until the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States on December 6, 1865, which abolished slavery entirely in all of the U.S. states and territories.[9]

I understand why you'd celebrate it in Texas, and maybe in the United States more generally. Not sure it has much relevance in the UK, but appreciate the timing coincides with the BLM protests, so I get the thinking. Just seems a bit odd.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Wales rugby sing a song called Delilah.

It’s about stabbing your girlfriend because she laughed at you after shagging another bloke.

Isn't that just a Friday night in Cardiff? 

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Isn't that just a Friday night in Cardiff? 

Usually by about 10pm by my experience. 

• Haha 1

No, no, we’ve actually gone very cultured in the Capital now.

Little wooden forks with the chips, streets hosed down in the early hours whether there’s puke or not.

Very European. Think Barcelona but with a light drizzle.

14 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

No, no, we’ve actually gone very cultured in the Capital now.

Little wooden forks with the chips, streets hosed down in the early hours whether there’s puke or not.

Very European. Think Barcelona but with a light drizzle.

Its true  , even Chip shop Alley ,has  been renamed  Paella Callejón

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

He's come a long way since breaking up Les and Janice Battersby's marriage. 

I hadn't realised who he was at first mate although it is knocking on 20 years since he was in Corrie.

21 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Going back to this, it's very disconcerting that so many people seem to think that because someone has once been convicted of a crime then their life doesn't matter anymore.

*Unless his name is Stephen Yaxley Lennon

Â