Tom Carroll

Farlz

We were godawful yesterday, any player coming into that mess would do well to shine. There was no options, virtually no running into space or intelligent positioning, it was hoofball and competing for 50:50 balls or chasing the opposition down. That kind of football only benefits the Vinny Jones of this world.

Give the lad a chance, when we start playing the high intensity keep ball, smaller triangles, possession football we did during the first QPR game and subsequent matches until Grealish and Tuenzebe were injured, he may shine. At the moment he is in the mud wrestling with the pigs.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I don’t get this weird obsession with Fer. Average player on probably quite high wages. Haven’t we had enough of those???

But he bullied Callum o Hare in one game so people thought was the DM we needed though Fer isnt even a DM

• Like 2

23 hours ago, bobzy said:

He just didn't seem that bad at all.  I have no idea what people were expecting from 16 minutes(!) worth of football from him.

3 assists, a goal line clearance and a screamer from 35 yards would have been adequate. Still too light weight though, you need to be 6’3” to be able to pass a football. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

3 assists, a goal line clearance and a screamer from 35 yards would have been adequate. Still too light weight though, you need to be 6’3” to be able to pass a football. 

Yep, where's Papa Bouba Diop?

• Haha 1

Spoke to a big Spurs fan mate of mine about Tom, he says he's a very good technically gifted player who didn't get much time at Spurs purely because they had 2 or 3 other options (Erikson, Harry Winks for example) who were on fire in his position as a no.10 or deep lying central. He did say he wasn't the physical type though and would struggle in a battle without a rugged defensive mid  beside him.

On 02/02/2019 at 21:55, MaVilla said:

i would be interested to see a Carroll, McGinn, Grealish midfield trio, however maybe they might be a bit small as a group for it to work.

Yeah - Iniesta, Xavi and Messi used to struggle with their lack of height.

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I would respond to that, but eh.

I'll do it for you. Messi is strong as an ox, and Xavi and Iniesta had players like Busquets, Yaya Toure, and Mascherano supporting them. They played in Spain where referees blow for everything. And they're some of the most gifted footballers of all time.

We're in the English Championship, and soft players get bullied unless they have some support. It's a fair point about Carroll's physique - I don't see him working alongside Hourihane. Whether you're playing 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or whatever, you need at least one of your centre mids to be a physical, tackling midfielder who senses danger and holds the team together. I can't think of a single successful team that doesn't have a player like this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I'll do it for you. Messi is strong as an ox, and Xavi and Iniesta had players like Busquets, Yaya Toure, and Mascherano supporting them. They played in Spain where referees blow for everything. And they're some of the most gifted footballers of all time.

We're in the English Championship, and soft players get bullied unless they have some support. It's a fair point about Carroll's physique - I don't see him working alongside Hourihane. Whether you're playing 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or whatever, you need at least one of your centre mids to be a physical, tackling midfielder who senses danger and holds the team together. I can't think of a single successful team that doesn't have a player like this.

I would imagine that’s the long term plan. We were trying to sign Fer but he failed his medical. Hourihane won’t be alongside Carroll next season. 

57 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I would imagine that’s the long term plan. We were trying to sign Fer but he failed his medical. Hourihane won’t be alongside Carroll next season. 

Agree with the long term plan suggestion. However, I never saw Fer as the deep lying CM we clearly need. Yes he’s a big lad but he’s never a DM destroyer type. Quite the opposite in fact, more of an 8 or 10 as his principal qualities are in the attacking third as a creator. 

I too would like a more physical presence in our midfield to help protect the back four, however, looking at Smiths previous teams he has never really favoured the ‘big unit’ type DM....see Woods and also McEachran etc. 

Im hoping for a Roy Keane type DM but expect us to get a tenacious, busy type of player....a more defensive John McGinn for example. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Fun Fact but Carroll and Hourihane are taller than Mascherano

Think all of our midfiekd options are taller

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Fun Fact but Carroll and Hourihane are taller than Mascherano

Think all of our midfiekd options are taller

Yeah but mascherano was a terrier, hourihane is more of a shih tzu.

• Like 1

Â