Tom Carroll

Farlz

Swansea over the years have caused imbalance on themselves through all their managerial changes.

One players suits one manager but doesn't suit the next and players get affected in many ways.

A prime example right now would be the mad exadous going on at Chelsea.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Westwood was slammed for being invisible and non influential on games when he was here.

Expect the same for this guy i'm afraid.

This is very Harsh - he is a very gifted passer of the ball and has this nasty habit of passing to a team mate - I honestly think he is the best passer of the ball we have had since Barry and if anything he's probably a bit more expansive.

For those who have not seen him play yet - I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave J said:

This is very Harsh - he is a very gifted passer of the ball and has this nasty habit of passing to a team mate - I honestly think he is the best passer of the ball we have had since Barry and if anything he's probably a bit more expansive.

For those who have not seen him play yet - I think you will be in for a pleasant surprise 

I hope he turns out to be good because our midfield is shocking at the minute, but from what i've read from Swansea fans the majority are glad to see the back of him.

Edited by AshVilla

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

I hope he proves me wrong because our midfield is shocking at the minute, but from what i've read from Swansea fans the majority are glad to see the back of him.

When he got a taste of the first team at spuds he looked a player and I thought he would do well with Swansea - sometimes it just doesn't work out at a club ( Scot Hogan ) being a prime example.

I feel sure if you are willing to give him a chance - he won't let you down 👍🏻

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nigel said:

I'd argue that the reason the defence has looked poor is not the system, rather injuries and players used with the wrong skillsets. 

The system makes sense, you don't need a bruiser there, rather to simply keep the ball better. 

A dedicated passer here relieves the pressure on the defence by keeping the opponents on the back foot.

If Carol is this player I have no idea but tbh I don't think fer was. Maybe we have our first choice here?

Some sense at last! I don't understand this obsession on here for a traditional midfield enforcer.

When you play a possession based game, an enforcer is pointless, as you have the ball most of the time. Does anyone remember the FA cup final versus Arsenal?! Cazorla was playing as a deep lying midfielder and absolutely ran the show, because he never lost the ball and could keep things ticking over. Obviously Carroll isn't on that level but will fulfil a similar role here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

If i had a pound for every time Villa fans were happy/extatic/lol'ing that a player left, then that player went on to do well and on most occasions go on to play at a higher level than AV are at......i wouldn't be typing here, i would be overseeing one of my many gold digging wenches typing on my behalf because why not, as my other wenches fan me gently and feed me grapes, as i relax in the heat of a marbled palace in some foreign hot country.

If you listed the players we have let go through mis management, failure to integrate or develop them, or play hoof ball rather than proper football, or a myriad of other failures, I swear we would be premiership top 10.

Know what i mean 'arry?

Any examples? 

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Some sense at last! I don't understand this obsession on here for a traditional midfield enforcer.

When you play a possession based game, an enforcer is pointless, as you have the ball most of the time. Does anyone remember the FA cup final versus Arsenal?! Cazorla was playing as a deep lying midfielder and absolutely ran the show, because he never lost the ball and could keep things ticking over. Obviously Carroll isn't on that level but will fulfil a similar role here. 

Our problem isn’t when we have the ball. It’s when we lose it and get hit on the break. We don’t have players that react or cover quick enough. 

8 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Westwood, Lowton, Bennett and Clark spring to mind straight away. Add to that Cahill from the Mon era. 

The first four fair enough. That’s cuz they aren’t actually that good but it turned out we ended up being even shitter than their standard. 

But If anybody was laughing at us selling Cahill then they need to have a good hard look at themselves. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our problem isn’t when we have the ball. It’s when we lose it and get hit on the break. We don’t have players that react or cover quick enough. 

Relying on an enforcer to do all that is a bit of a stretch. You win the ball back quickly as a team from fullbacks, midfielders and even forwards. Our fullbacks are not good at this and horihane is a perennial ball watcher. As for whealen, i have seen slugs move quicker. 

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Any examples? 

Cahill - Bennett - Lowton - Herd - Stevens - Robinson - Johnson - Traore - Baker - Elphick - Westwood - Makoun - Vertout - Albrighton

There are probably more, you could almost make a team of them.

All of those (that were rated negatively by a good proportion, if not majority), are either playing at the same level or a higher level, 2 of the are premiership winners.......

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Relying on an enforcer to do all that is a bit of a stretch. You win the ball back quickly as a team from fullbacks, midfielders and even forwards. Our fullbacks are not good at this and horihane is a perennial ball watcher. As for whealen, i have seen slugs move quicker. 

I agree the issue is beyond an enforcer. The team aren’t doing it right. But I player in the middle they can cover a lot of ground would always help. Personally I think Mcginn should learn that role.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Cahill - Bennett - Lowton - Herd - Stevens - Robinson - Johnson - Traore - Baker - Elphick - Westwood - Makoun - Vertout - Albrighton

There are probably more, you could almost make a team of them.

All of those (that were rated negatively by a good proportion, if not majority), are either playing at the same level or a higher level, 2 of the are premiership winners.......

Second person to name Cahill. If fans seriously said good riddance when we sold him then I give up on villa fans.

The bold part is not actually true and you know that. It was probably Westwood and Bennett out of that whole list that got scapegoated by the usual moaners!

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Second person to name Cahill. If fans seriously said good riddance when we sold him then I give up on villa fans.

The bold part is not actually true and you know that. It was probably Westwood and Bennett out of that whole list that got scapegoated by the usual moaners!

yeah agreed, i over played it a little, but i still stand by my general point that as a club we have historically wasted reasonable talent to varying degrees, and if we were better run and managed, we may not have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Out of all the positions in the team, I think our holding/deep-lying midfielders have gotten the most flack from our fans over the years.  Even Petrov was getting called "The Crab" by fans because he only passed the ball sideways.

If they can tackle, fans bitch about how they can't pass.  If they can pass, fans give them stick about not defending well enough.  If they aren't dominating games, they're "too lightweight", etc.

• Like 1

Smiths type player on a loan to view to buy at a good age adding a different option to the teams tactical approach...... it’s a no brainer of a deal. If he’s shit we send him back if he’s good we keep him. I’ve got high hopes and good competition for Hourihane. Let’s see how he does before writing him off as shit perhaps ?! 

• Like 2

The only ones I regret letting go are Cahill, Albrighton and Davis, maybe Baker at this level. The rest were a pile of shite if not as players then definitely here. Bennett was the worst defender I've ever seen at VP. Westwood was as good as a scarecrow for about 5 seasons. Traore thought he was Pele but was closer to his goalkeeper son and Makoun and Vertout couldn't or wouldn't apply themselves in the prem. 

However everyone who joins should be given a fair chance here. 

Â