Tom Carroll

Farlz

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

The only ones I regret letting go are Cahill, Albrighton and Davis, maybe Baker at this level. The rest were a pile of shite if not as players then definitely here. Bennett was the worst defender I've ever seen at VP. Westwood was as good as a scarecrow for about 5 seasons. Traore thought he was Pele but was closer to his goalkeeper son and Makoun and Vertout couldn't or wouldn't apply themselves in the prem. 

However everyone who joins should be given a fair chance here. 

ye forgot about Davis, could add Bannan to that list too imo.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Westwood was utter shite, every morning to this day i jump out of bed in the morning and dance a merry jig that I don't have to watch him get run all over every week.

In my opinion, he was more than consistent for us, a steady Eddie if you will, he played a big part in us staying in the PL under Lambert I think

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, he was more than consistent for us, a steady Eddie if you will, he played a big part in us staying in the PL under Lambert I think

oh he was consistent and not in a good way

I think if Carroll is tidy in possession and helps us keep the ball better and provides an easy out ball for the defenders and then gives it to McGinn, Grealish, Green, Albert or El Ghazi etc. and offers a safe option for them if they run down a dead end. Then he will be a great asset for us, even if he's not a dynamic box to box lung busting monster ball winner and creative force.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

I think if Carroll is tidy in possession and helps us keep the ball better and provides an easy out ball for the defenders and then gives it to McGinn, Grealish, Green, Albert or El Ghazi etc. and offers a safe option for them if they run down a dead end. Then he will be a great asset for us, even if he's not a dynamic box to box lung busting monster ball winner and creative force.

I think that’s absolutely right. His availability and wanting the ball, instead of the pass and hide mentality some of our midfielders seem to have, should make a big difference. His physicality may not be a strength, but hopefully his passing game will make up for that. We’re unlikely to find the complete central midfielder in January and playing in the Championship. 

From what I’ve read he lacks confidence, so he will need support if he is to flourish. Give the fella a chance and he could be a real asset. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think that’s absolutely right. His availability and wanting the ball, instead of the pass and hide mentality some of our midfielders seem to have, should make a big difference. His physicality may not be a strength, but hopefully his passing game will make up for that. We’re unlikely to find the complete central midfielder in January and playing in the Championship. 

From what I’ve read he lacks confidence, so he will need support if he is to flourish. Give the fella a chance and he could be a real asset. 

If he lacks confidence god help him when VP gets on his back for one bad pass.

I really hope he does well though, fingers crossed.

Edited by MaVilla

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

If he lacks confidence god help him when VP gets on his back for one bad pass.

I really hope he does well though, fingers crossed.

I think we’ve been so poor for so long, our default setting as a fan base is that we expect to fail. Whilst that is understandable after the last 10 years, it isn’t helpful. That can only change with good performances, that was starting to happen until performances dropped off. If we can get back to the early Smith games and build some momentum then Villa Park can be a totally different place and become the fortress that we need it to be. 

On 01/02/2019 at 08:50, Dr_Pangloss said:

Potentially quite an astute signing TBH, he has a lot of premier league experience, has good fitness/stamina and good distribution, he operates in a deeper role. He's the sort of player we need in many ways. 

I can't comment on Carroll as I can't recall ever watching the kid, but your description is exactly what we need in that position considering how Smith wants to play. 

I do get frustrated by any players that are scared to tackle so that aspect of his game is going to do my head in (If that is actually true) but if he gives us what you suggest above I think the positives could outweigh that one negative. 

Edited by av1

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

I can't comment on Carroll as I can't recall ever watching the kid, but your description is exactly what we need in that position considering how Smith wants to play. 

I do get frustrated by any players that are scared to tackle so that aspect of his game is going to do my head in (If that is actually true) but if he gives us what you suggest above I think the positives could outweigh that one negative. 

I think with stronger and fitter players at CD, Carroll’s lack of physicality may be less of a factor. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think with stronger and fitter players at CD, Carroll’s lack of physicality may be less of a factor. 

In terms of helping defensively, as long as he is mobile enough to block off the passing lines that will be enough to help the back 4.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think we’ve been so poor for so long, our default setting as a fan base is that we expect to fail. Whilst that is understandable after the last 10 years, it isn’t helpful. That can only change with good performances, that was starting to happen until performances dropped off. If we can get back to the early Smith games and build some momentum then Villa Park can be a totally different place and become the fortress that we need it to be. 

This.

I think our position strengthens once Jack is back followed by Tuanzebe. Normaility will be restored and the few additions we added in January will also come together and we could see a positive last minute surge to the play-offs like Fulham did last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

In terms of helping defensively, as long as he is mobile enough to block off the passing lines that will be enough to help the back 4.

100%. Jedinak is a perfect example that a good DM is more than just getting stuck in.

Â