Tom Carroll

Farlz

My Spurs supporting mate used to say to me for years that we should sign him when he played for them - more like trying to offload him to us until he went to Swansea. I told him this morning that we had loaned him off Swansea and he asked for his opinion of him and he told me "he's weak but he keeps the ball moving" - but then he said "he secretly flaps it". He said he's definitely a bit of a bottler, which is a worry so I guess only time will tell how he will do in our team.

2 minutes ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

If he is meant to be a defensive midfielder, then we are in trouble. He has the physique of an attacking midfielder, and proper players will bull him. 

I know him only because he was popular in FPL couple seasons ago. Not defensive midfielder at all

41 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He's a poor man's Westwood. Call me a fickle fan. Mings and Carroll is an absolute joke

Mate to be fair you had a proper gung ho campaign for weeks about why Jedinak should continue be our Centre Back early in the season.

So i'm a bit on the fence with your judgement. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Khizzy said:

My Spurs supporting mate used to say to me for years that we should sign him when he played for them - more like trying to offload him to us until he went to Swansea. I told him this morning that we had loaned him off Swansea and he asked for his opinion of him and he told me "he's weak but he keeps the ball moving" - but then he said "he secretly flaps it". He said he's definitely a bit of a bottler, which is a worry so I guess only time will tell how he will do in our team.

Fills me with melancholy.

seems like.....meet the new player, just like the other players.....samey,samey.

but we'll see.

listening to his interview on AVFC official site, he says "he knew about the possible transfer for a while but wasnt sure it would happen". (specifically mentioned "a few weeks ago" in response to when he first heard of the possibility)

So basically it just went totally under the radar, but was on the agenda for a while.

Nice to know that DS actually intended this transfer, and is wasnt a knee jerk purchase.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Thanks 1

Looking at Swansea's lineups at the beginning of the season it looks as if he was playing as the deeper CM role and that he was in their team ahead of Leroy Fer, who was on the bench.

EDIT: But it was the other way around when they lost to us, but with a slightly different formation.

EDIT: He got subbed off at half time for Fer when they were losing 1-0 against Blackburn, and Swansea won that one 3-1.

Edited by praisedmambo

So says he heard of our interest three or four weeks ago yet not a sniff of it has been mentioned in the media. Just another example of how little those 'clowns' really know and why it's best to take any names linked with the club with a pinch of salt.

Lays to rest the argument on here that this was a last minute panic decision.

In the interview something about him reminded me of Gareth Southgate, make of that what you will.

Don’t know much on him, beyond being a neat and tidy footballe, who likes to dictate play, and arising with Bale’s Tottenham. In that, I think he offers different qualities to our other midfielders. Perhaps he could be like our Josh McEachran?

12 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

carrol will be the deep lying playmaker picking the ball up between the two centre halves and bringing it out.  this is the role conner houihane could not do

in the 1990's this would be called the sweeper position.

I think that’s exactly what he’s been brought in to do

13 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

carrol will be the deep lying playmaker picking the ball up between the two centre halves and bringing it out.  this is the role conner houihane could not do

in the 1990's this would be called the sweeper position.

the sweeper was a defender effectively, who could bring the ball out of defence and "sweep up" as required, sometimes actually behind the two standard CB's.

The Hourihane / Carroll role you are mentioning is really more like the standard deep lying playmaker probably.

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that’s exactly what he’s been brought in to do

i wouldnt imagine that tbh, sitting in front of the defence and bringing the ball out/holding on to the ball/playing retention passes etc, i can see that, but i doubt as an actual sweeper, that makes no real sense when he isnt a defender.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

anyways, will be interesting to see what he can bring to the team.

I hope to the lord Carroll, Huase and Mings dont just sit on the bench......... (like Hause has done so far)........otherwise why bother signing them.

• Like 1

Â