Tom Carroll

Farlz

3 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

At the moment our midfield gets the ball and more often than not loses it in seconds. Carroll will help us recycle the ball while we look to get players forward. He's not physical, but he's technical and has a good engine.

giphy.gif

20 hours ago, Nigel said:

Close, the sweeper was played behind the defence, and was obviously a defender by trade.

The most prominent being Franz Beckenbaer.

Can't believe the lack of love for the new boy!

This time its not the manager plugging the chinks in the armor with big lumps.        it's "Smith the visionary" putting his "build it from the back" philosophy in place.

Like pep bringing in his unknown sweeper keeper over Joe "the hero" hart.          

Smith lovers should be rejoicing!

And after watching his interview vid I like him even more. He's not one of these arrogant clearing in the woods footballers parking in disabled spots, he's like the humble kid who lives on your road and knocks on your door to get his ball back instead of jumping over the fence and taking a slash over your petunias whilst in there.

He has a high pitch voice. but **** it so does beckham. and allan ball. they could play.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Well that was definitely something...

I was told he’d make forward passes and bring energy but he touched the ball once in 20 minutes, didn’t complete a single pass, and got a yellow. 

probably not his fault, the team was playing bruce ball in the closing 20 minutes, the mid field may as well not have existed.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

That's a weird assessment of his 16 minute(!) cameo.  At one point, he passed the ball out wide and actually ran forward for a quick one-two - aside from McGinn/Grealish, I can't remember any midfielder doing that for us this season.  Even the yellow he got was the result of a **** awful ball to him from the defence.

Just for comparison, he made 11 passes in 16 minutes with a passing accuracy of 90.9% (he misplaced one pass).  Whelan - who he replaced - made 29 passes in 73 minutes with a passing accuracy of 76%.

He just didn't seem that bad at all.  I have no idea what people were expecting from 16 minutes(!) worth of football from him.

Well that was definitely something...

I was told he’d make forward passes and bring energy but he touched the ball once in 20 minutes, didn’t complete a single pass, and got a yellow. 

So which one is true? Did he make 1 pass pr 11?

I haven't seen him play, so can't really comment....but the vibes I get is that he is much like we have already got....light and ineffective.

Taylor and Carroll....we do seem to like these lightweights from Swansea.

• Like 1

His role in the team long term IMO isnt dependent on his size I envisage his role will be to keep things ticking over in midfield recycling possession taking the ball from defence and moving it hopefully upfield so Grealish, McGinn etc can do what they do best. Plus if he is the player some fear him to be he gets sent packing.

If he comes good and is here next season id expect a with a more athletic midfielder than Hourihane supporting him doing the dirty work alongside him. Just hope he has the mental strength to grasp his opportunity as I reckon he has the potential to be a great little player . Time will tell!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People on here act like Fer is Edgar Davids LOL

I thought Carroll looked decent, he passes and moves into space and always looks to be in space. This is a huge upgrade on the extremely pedestrian Hourihane or the exceptionally limited Whelan.

Sadly quite a few of the other players didn't seem to be at the same wavelength as him. Which caused a few half weird moments; Surprised to get the ball back so quickly. Not moving. Not release it back when he moved. Not moving on the 1-2.

But think he will link up well with Grealish and McGinn . 

• Like 2

Â