Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Mings is an important signing for Villa, the best defender we have had since Laursen and is a leader on the pitch. I believe we'll sign him, yes another club may offer silly money, but I think he wants to be at Villa, Bournemouth will know that and should be reasonable in dealings with Villa. Purslow has already put it out there, we won't pay over for players we've improved. Where Mings wants to play his football will play a big part.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

If that kid has moved for £13m from Bristol to Bournemouth, then Mings is a £15-20m CB. Remember that Mepham also moved from Brentford for around the £12m mark. Id rate Mings above both aforementioned CBs. 

So would I. When he's fit. And I think thats the issue. We've had a great 4 months, but Bournemouth had had a very poor 4 years from him. No one's fault.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

So would I. When he's fit. And I think thats the issue. We've had a great 4 months, but Bournemouth had had a very poor 4 years from him. No one's fault.

That's a fair point. But Laursen was another (not to mention God) who had injury issues before arriving at Villa. It's a risk you take with any player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

That's a fair point. But Laursen was another (not to mention God) who had injury issues before arriving at Villa. It's a risk you take with any player. 

100% the risk you take.

But both Laursen and the Good Lord came in at pretty low transfer fees, which I guess were down to their injury record.

Players are insured. If you have a poor injury record, the insurance costs increase so the players value decreases. I think!

17 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Mings is an important signing for Villa, the best defender we have had since Laursen and is a leader on the pitch. I believe we'll sign him, yes another club may offer silly money, but I think he wants to be at Villa, Bournemouth will know that and should be reasonable in dealings with Villa. Purslow has already put it out there, we won't pay over for players we've improved. Where Mings wants to play his football will play a big part.

Although I'd love to agree football is a business now, and sentiment has very little to do in transfer dealings anymore. Bournemouth will try to get the best price for their asset, they won't care if it's from us or somebody else, their only consideration will be if they are selling to a rival then add a bit more to the price.

23 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Although I'd love to agree football is a business now, and sentiment has very little to do in transfer dealings anymore. Bournemouth will try to get the best price for their asset, they won't care if it's from us or somebody else, their only consideration will be if they are selling to a rival then add a bit more to the price.

That works both ways. Other clubs will know that Mings wants to go to Villa, if Bournemouth play around Mings could refuse to go to another club, and they are caught with him. Mings is a professional, he won't sit around and sook, but as has been shown numerous times over many years, the players have just as much power, IMO Bournemouth will play this with a straight bat. They recoup their investment and maybe a little more on a player they'd probably written off 6 months ago, and the player is happy to go to a club that wants him.

Yes it's a business and it's also swings and roundabouts, if Bournemouth play silly buggers, down the track They may want a Villa player and the serve can be returned.

Reading what the Bournemouth fans have to say about him, and listening to a few interviews with him, and seeing all his antics on social media...

...the amateur psychologist in me says he's a good lad, but needs to feel loved, and needs an arm around his shoulder from the coaching staff. He's never been the star man at a club before. Next season could be a huge opportunity for him to experience that in the top flight.

Also, I'm not that worried about a bidding war, because IMO his cash value to us is higher than his cash value to a potential new club - for all the reasons we've talked about re: injuries, career history, etc.

Here I think he feels like he's found his home, and that positive mindset will help him to train and perform at a higher level, especially with someone like JT to guide him.

• Like 1

Apologies if this has already been shared, but this is clearly when Bournemouth started to lose patience with Mings:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bournemouth-discipline-tyrone-mings-after-10451377

Eddie Howe is set to hammer Tyrone Mings after the Bournemouth defender posted pictures of himself shirtless in an Irish bar on social media this week.

The Cherries' boss had given his squad two days off after their weekend win over Burnley.

“We would not expect any of our players to be acting in that way during the season or even off-season, to be honest. It doesn’t hold us in a good light.

“We have given the players a couple of days off this week. At this this stage of the season it is about keeping the minds fresh, the bodies fresh is all important. But the players have to be professional in between to make sure that they perform for the game so that is a disappointing thing to hear.

He was only 24 at the time, and was a fringe player on a day off. Not sure if calling him out publicly was the right thing for Eddie Howe to do.

Surely better to avoid airing it in the press, and then privately have a word with the player about his responsibilities? That seems to be the Dean Smith way.

2 hours ago, QldVilla said:

That works both ways. Other clubs will know that Mings wants to go to Villa, if Bournemouth play around Mings could refuse to go to another club, and they are caught with him. Mings is a professional, he won't sit around and sook, but as has been shown numerous times over many years, the players have just as much power, IMO Bournemouth will play this with a straight bat. They recoup their investment and maybe a little more on a player they'd probably written off 6 months ago, and the player is happy to go to a club that wants him.

Yes it's a business and it's also swings and roundabouts, if Bournemouth play silly buggers, down the track They may want a Villa player and the serve can be returned.

I don't see getting a good price for an asset as playing silly buggers, there's nothing malicious from their side, they will sell to us if we meet their price, it's just business.

If a Premier League team comes in offering more than we are willing to pay and first team football, he will go to them, yes he wants to come to Villa but he's not going to ruin his career trying to force that. Nor should he.

We have the advantage because we know he wants come to us, but that only really helps us if multiple clubs bid the same amount, even then we have to be competitive with the wages we offer him.

I want us to sign him as much as anyone, and I think we likely will, but it's not a done deal, it's a complicated situation, this could be done quickly if all parties are willing and a price is agreed quickly or it could rumble on all summer.

12 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I don't see getting a good price for an asset as playing silly buggers, there's nothing malicious from their side, they will sell to us if we meet their price, it's just business.

If a Premier League team comes in offering more than we are willing to pay and first team football, he will go to them, yes he wants to come to Villa but he's not going to ruin his career trying to force that. Nor should he.

We have the advantage because we know he wants come to us, but that only really helps us if multiple clubs bid the same amount, even then we have to be competitive with the wages we offer him.

I want us to sign him as much as anyone, and I think we likely will, but it's not a done deal, it's a complicated situation, this could be done quickly if all parties are willing and a price is agreed quickly or it could rumble on all summer.

No one said it was a done deal, I’ve already stated Villa may not match a silly transfer fee from another club. Bournemouth may decide to keep him, no one knows. But as I’ve stated I think the stars are aligned for him to become a Villa player, I’m a half glass full person, I know how things work, but I’m not going to look for impediments as to why the transfer won’t occur.

12 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

No one said it was a done deal, I’ve already stated Villa may not match a silly transfer fee from another club. Bournemouth may decide to keep him, no one knows. But as I’ve stated I think the stars are aligned for him to become a Villa player, I’m a half glass full person, I know how things work, but I’m not going to look for impediments as to why the transfer won’t occur.

I'm not looking for impediments, I'm being realistic. We can't expect the deal to happen just because he wants to come here, there are a lot of other factors involved in a transfer.

It seems we both want him to sign and think he will. Fingers crossed we are both right!

I agree with you on another point as well, I also think he's the best defender we've had since Laursen, which is why I hope we pull out all the stops to get him permanently. 

Â