Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think martinez did get a hand to it

But I also don't think he has bionic wrists that could result in the ball being pawed away in that fashion

The trajectory of the ball suggests it was mings head that ultimately saved it... Doesn't mean that martinez wouldnt have but that he didn't have to because mings was there 

Its crazy that some have had a hard time accepting it though, almost like they don't want it to be mings 

I'm not as strong as Martinez, and I can easily make a ball do that. I love Mings and Martinez, so I'm not biased at all and the replays make it look like Martinez 100%. I'm not sure why you'd think this is a conspiracy to not give Mings his credit. 

In fact, the only bit of evidence otherwise is a hilariously unclear photo that doesn't show Martinez's hand. That photo above doesn't help at all. 

I think the answer to improving Mings lapses of concentration was highlighted yesterday. In the first half there were three occasions where he looked vulnerable. Each time was when he had loads of time on the ball and was playing at half pace or less. When he has too much time to think he sometimes confuses himself about what he's going to do next after a couple of extra touches.

When he plays with a faster tempo his brain is totally engaged and much less lightly to lose concentration. If SG can coach that inherent laid back attitude out of him he can become a 100% rock.

He was important to us yesterday and was commanding most of the time. We probably wouldn't have got that result without him.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Rolta said:

I'm not as strong as Martinez, and I can easily make a ball do that. I love Mings and Martinez, so I'm not biased at all and the replays make it look like Martinez 100%. I'm not sure why you'd think this is a conspiracy to not give Mings his credit. 

In fact, the only bit of evidence otherwise is a hilariously unclear photo that doesn't show Martinez's hand. That photo above doesn't help at all. 

I believe it was both. Martinez also shaked his hand as if it got hit by something afterwards. My guess is that Mings powered his hand from behind.

6 minutes ago, allani said:

I'm not even sure why this is being discussed (sorry yours was just the last post to mention it).  The point is that Everton had one shot on target from a header and both our keeper and our central defender had it covered.  If Emi doesn't get there, Mings has it under control.  Suggests that we've set ourselves up pretty well to deal with that situation.  Also suggests that both players deserve credit for doing their jobs regardless of who did / didn't actually touch the ball.  All a bit pointless.

100% agree

17 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I never get this Mings vs Konsa thing, centre backs are a partnership and they're both great at what they do.  If they were in competition for the same place in the team then fair enough but they aren't.  Up against Richarlison and Calvert-Lewin plus under Ferguson's management was about as tough a physical test they'd come up against in a season and Mings dealt with it really well.

i don't think anyone's trying to do mings vs konsa, it's more highlighting how no one brings up anything konsa does wrong yet mings' performance are dissected with minute detail. i mean, look at the amount of people trying to figure out whether it was mings or emi that saved it ffs.

i'm guilty of it too. mings is probably my favourite AVFC player so it's difficult not to bite when he has a great game, keeps a clean sheet, and people are still finding things to criticise. reading some posts since the game you'd think we kept a clean sheet in spite of mings

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly that 

Mings plays under a microscope that other players don't for whatever reason, there is definitely an element of "wheres mings" with every goal we concede and he's somehow costing us goals every week despite our keeper setting a clean sheet record last season... 

He has his faults and sometimes deserves criticism but it's outright **** weird on here at times 

He has it with England fans too. 

He’s only ever covered himself in glory when asked to play. Was great first few games of the euros before Slab head came back in. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spiezels said:

He has it with England fans too. 

He’s only ever covered himself in glory when asked to play. Was great first few games of the euros before Slab head came back in. 

England is even weirder, he's not made a single mistake leading to a goal and has this brilliant record of something like 12 clean sheets in 16 games and yet he's not good enough? How's that work 

19 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

If SG can coach that inherent laid back attitude out of him he can become a 100% rock.

As others have mentioned, it seems impossible to pinpoint why Mings seems to be dissected after each game yet Konsa doesn't.

Taking that aside, no CB will ever be a 100% rock. I can dig out compilation videos of Nesta getting shitpants'd over and over or Vidic making **** howlers if you like. It doesn't make them bad defenders. 

I'm not saying Tyrone is in that league, but he's a **** good defender, our leader, vital to our team and most of all, he's a thoroughly decent human being who is very likeable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

As others have mentioned, it seems impossible to pinpoint why Mings seems to be dissected after each game yet Konsa doesn't.

Taking that aside, no CB will ever be a 100% rock. I can dig out compilation videos of Nesta getting shitpants'd over and over or Vidic making **** howlers if you like. It doesn't make them bad defenders. 

I'm not saying Tyrone is in that league, but he's a **** good defender, our leader, vital to our team and most of all, he's a thoroughly decent human being who is very likeable.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

going to get my head bitten off by saying this, but i'll say it anyway...

the criticism started when he started being more outspoken off the pitch and going on anti racism marches. there's a portion of football fans that wants players to "stick to football". see replies to tweets from gary neville or gary linekar criticising the government as some examples.

his off the pitch conduct is one of the things i like most about him btw...not putting myself in that bracket

I think there's probably some truth in that. 

Â