Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Hmmm....

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, a lot of our early season play from corners was looking for Ming's head. And he got to a lot of them. And got assists from them.

Teams have tweaked to this - which would explain why little Buendia was allowed to sneak in for a goal from Digne's corner versus Everton. Too many defenders trying to tie up Mings, perhaps?

Buendia has tried the near post flick on a few times as I recall. Obviously something from the training ground. Having someone in Digne who can take a decent corner should up our goal tally from too. 

• Like 1

Mings’ position in the side is possibly near the top of the list of areas to improve in the summer. I don’t think Mings is bad at all, but there needs to be a continual push to improve, as there was with Digne / Targett. 

The one thing that does go underrated is just how dominant he is though. He wins the ball in the air, makes blocks, tackles, not afraid to use his physicality against strikers. He also leads the defence with his organisation. I think it’s clear as day when he doesn’t play what a loss he is when he’s not there, so replacing him is far easier said than done. I think most fans agree Konsa is technically a better footballer, but he’s definitely not a dominating or commanding centre half and that’s what has probably held him back playing for England, and is why Mings is so important to us even if he drops the occasional clanger.

However he does lack the concentration and reliability if he is ever going to lead us on a proper European charge. If we did move for a new centre back we should go big and as per above it’s about getting someone with the right characteristics as much as someone with the right level of general ability. No idea who is out there but I expect they might cost £30m+.

Mings and Konsa complement each other, Konsa doesn’t look half the player when Mings doesn’t play.

Mings is a communicator, that is a massive thing and isn’t easy to replace, the last defenders we’ve had that can be mentioned in the same breath as Mings is probably Laursen/Mellberg.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Curious to know how you've come to this conclusion and what technical aspects of konsas game are better than mings'

Because I've not seen anything to suggest this to be remotely true

I think Konsa is a very good player, very composed and excellent on one on one defending, there was a stat one season that he had been dribbled past less than any other centre back in the league, makes less mistakes than Mings too. As I said though he lacks that commanding nature which is OK if he has someone like Mings alongside him.

Mings constant hoofing is making it hard for us to control games. You can't just keep giving the ball away if you want to become a top team.

Gerrard want us to play out from the back. If Mings is unable to do that I can't see him surviving as a starter long term.

Need ball playing centre halves.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Mings constant hoofing is making it hard for us to control games. You can't just keep giving the ball away if you want to become a top team.

Gerrard want us to play out from the back. If Mings is unable to do that I can't see him surviving as a starter long term.

Need ball playing centre halves.

Gerrard wants us to play out from the back when it’s possible, he wants the players to be clever enough to not attempt to play out of the back if in certain points in the game the opposition are playing with a high press.

he pretty much said this I’m his interview with Carragher.

when was your interview him?

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ty is such a gentleman. A far better role model than our last captain 

They are/were both brilliant when it comes to that sort of thing - helping kids and families and stuff.

Why are Mings and McGinn allowed time in Dubai? Is it because they were in the Euros and have played every game this season basically? or because they are Captain/Vice Captain and Gerrard wants to do training without the 2 leaders? 

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why are Mings and McGinn allowed time in Dubai? Is it because they were in the Euros and have played every game this season basically? or because they are Captain/Vice Captain and Gerrard wants to do training without the 2 leaders? 

Most of the players were allowed a small holiday. Hause flew out to NYC same day after the Everton match. 

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Ty is such a gentleman. A far better role model than our last captain 

What's with all this 'Ty' business all of a sudden? Do you know him personally? I was surprised to see Ashley Preece using this over-familiar abbreviation and it quickly spreads to the forum!

Apologies of course, if you and Tyrone Mings are indeed close friends.

Just now, AvonVillain said:

What's with all this 'Ty' business all of a sudden? Do you know him personally? I was surprised to see Ashley Preece using this over-familiar abbreviation and it quickly spreads to the forum!

Apologies of course, if you and Tyrone Mings are indeed close friends.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886lqckyvmz47t33cqzv8

you ok there buddy? 

• Like 4

Â