Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Frustrating to come back to VT after a few weeks and this one hasn't gone through, only because he was such an asset to our side last season.

If I were to speculate I'd say that Bournemouth have a bit more leverage in this deal than Villa do. At 26, Mings' value is hardly going to depreciate any time soon.

They know we need to bolster our squad, they know our interest in Mings is strong, they know we have promotion money.

Mings has been impressive when he has played and showed a lot of promise. 10million pounds four years ago for a championship CB is pretty hefty.

No doubt Bournemouth see him as a financial asset even if not part of their immediate football plans.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

With this matching clause, or whatever it’s called, I can’t see how this can get done until a minute before the transfer window slams shut. 

Why can't it be closed gently?

It's a typical football cliche, you should read tis:

51FS2-71P+L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's brilliant. I now find myself hearing these cliches everytime Villa are a comms game on WM. People don't realize they're saying them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

With his previous injury record I don't understand why they wouldn't sell him ASAP. 

Because we have a clause to match other accepted bids before passing up the chance to sign him.

Knowing that, why would they agree to sell him to us early doors? Even if they know they'd sell him to us, for say, £14m they may as well hang on and see if someone gets crazy and offers more that we'll then match.

There'll be a breaking point where either it's not worth the wait to either us or them. Or they need the money to buy another of their own targets but until then. Why rush it? 

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Because we have a clause to match other accepted bids before passing up the chance to sign him.

Knowing that, why would they agree to sell him to us early doors? Even if they know they'd sell him to us, for say, £14m they may as well hang on and see if someone gets crazy and offers more that we'll then match.

There'll be a breaking point where either it's not worth the wait to either us or them. Or they need the money to buy another of their own targets but until then. Why rush it? 

Yep there's another one, even the fans do it :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Yep there's another one, even the fans do it :)

Early doors is not an expression I have heard in any other context than football. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

It's brilliant. I now find myself hearing these cliches everytime Villa are a comms game on WM. People don't realize they're saying them.

The transfer window is contractually obliged to slam shut. My fear is that one day it will be sponsored by some sort of window mechanism company and the good old fashioned transfer window will be no more. From then on the window will be gently brought to it’s hermetically sealed end by the “Super Closer 24”.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

That looks great to be honest, although it’s not clear on an iPad. I’ll look it up. 

15 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

With this matching clause, or whatever it’s called, I can’t see how this can get done until a minute before the transfer window slams shut. 

Matching clause is a non entity.

means nothing.

forget matching clause.

22 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think Bournemouth are just trying to get the most amount of money for their asset, it's a sensible business strategy and I'd expect us to do the same if we were in the same position. They know we have a matching clause and are prepared to wait and see if anybody else come in with a bid, it seems like they may have already bought a replacement for him meaning they are well set to play the waiting game.

Another spanner in the works is recent interest in Ake, if he were to leave then they may not let Mings go until they've found Ake's replacement.

I did have a discussion with  @QldVilla about why I thought this wouldn't be a straight forward deal right from the start, Bournemouth aren't some hard up club that just hand over players when the big boys are lurking. It's going to take patience if we want to sign him for anywhere near our valuation of him.

Yes Nostradamus but you only read what you wanted to read, I didn't say it would be straight forward, I said I thought Bournemouth would be reasonable and they may still be. I said:

" Mings is an important signing for Villa, the best defender we have had since Laursen and is a leader on the pitch. I believe we'll sign him, yes another club may offer silly money, but I think he wants to be at Villa, Bournemouth will know that and should be reasonable in dealings with Villa. Purslow has already put it out there, we won't pay over for players we've improved. Where Mings wants to play his football will play a big part."

Being reasonable doesn't mean they were going to bend over, it means if they want to sell the player, they should be reasonable, that may mean they want to bring in players before selling, or it could mean as per Purslows quote, they were unreasonable and the club has moved onto other options. No one knows except the club. Maybe Mings after his holiday and time to take emotion out of it, wants to fight for his place at Bournemouth? It is all speculation.

I get the impression mings is loving all this attention he is getting.

Do i want him here? Yes

But seriously the way fans are begging him to sign on social media is embarrassing 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Yes Nostradamus but you only read what you wanted to read, I didn't say it would be straight forward, I said I thought Bournemouth would be reasonable and they may still be. I said:

" Mings is an important signing for Villa, the best defender we have had since Laursen and is a leader on the pitch. I believe we'll sign him, yes another club may offer silly money, but I think he wants to be at Villa, Bournemouth will know that and should be reasonable in dealings with Villa. Purslow has already put it out there, we won't pay over for players we've improved. Where Mings wants to play his football will play a big part."

Being reasonable doesn't mean they were going to bend over, it means if they want to sell the player, they should be reasonable, that may mean they want to bring in players before selling, or it could mean as per Purslows quote, they were unreasonable and the club has moved onto other options. No one knows except the club. Maybe Mings after his holiday and time to take emotion out of it, wants to fight for his place at Bournemouth? It is all speculation.

I wasn't claiming to be right or wrong, I was merely pointing people in the direction of the conversation we had which raised some interesting points. I have no desire to poke that bear again.

But, you know, read what you want to read ;) UTV! 

Mings was injured in the Playoff final, I don’t recall seeing anything about that since then. Are we sure it was just a minor injury, or was it something more serious? It may have been reported on and I missed it in the general euphoria, but it could have some significance if it was more than just a minor knock. 

We're going to sign him after a summer of fawning and he's going to wind up being somehow inexplicably shite from then on, isn't he?  That would be so utterly, utterly Villa.

• Haha 1

Â