Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Early doors is not an expression I have heard in any other context than football. 

Explanation here.

...Why footballers, commentators and fans say early doors, when early or early on would work just as well is probably due to Big Ron, otherwise Ron Atkinson, a well-known television football commentator, a former player and manager now regarded as one of the characters of the sport. Like another commentator, David Coleman, he’s famous for his accidental sayings in the heat of the moment (“He dribbles a lot and the opposition don’t like it — you can see it all over their faces”). He’s so closely associated with early doors, almost as a catchphrase, that he’s often been credited with inventing it. However, my memories of the phrase go back to Brian Clough, a rather more famous football manager, who is on record as using it in 1979. Readers have suggested it is even older still.

The pub origin you mention is widely believed. In the days before liberalisation of hours, pubs would reopen for the evening at 5.30, just in time for a quick drink after work and before going home. An early-doors beer would be one grabbed as soon as possible after opening time. It’s a neat idea, but it isn’t true.

We’ve actually got to go back well over a century to find the true origin, to the other suggestion you’ve heard, about theatres. Then as now, a last-minute crush usually developed at the entrances just before the performance started, with the street outside crammed with vehicles. Show bills and advertisements commonly urged patrons to arrive early. Around the 1870s, the idea grew up of charging a small premium to members of the audience who were willing to arrive well ahead of the crowd; in return, they were allowed to choose their own seats in unreserved areas — the pit and the gallery in particular. This could be a considerable advantage, as sightlines in those areas were often poor and interrupted by pillars. The earliest comment on the practice I’ve found is this:

It was with some degree of satisfaction that I welcomed a movement in the right direction adopted at most of our local theatres during the pantomime season — namely that of providing special entrances or early doors for the convenience of those who, wishing to avoid the crush, would willingly pay a small extra amount.

Liverpool Mercury, 24 Apr. 1877.

The system continued into the twentieth century and became very well known:

The park-keeper eyed him; thought better of the bitter words he had contemplated; contented himself with: “Funny, ain’t yer?” “Screaming,” said George. “One long roar of mirth. Hundreds turned away nightly. Early doors threepence extra. Bring the wife.”

Once Aboard The Lugger, by Arthur Stuart Menteth Hutchinson, 1908.

It was recorded by G K Chesterton as a First World War battle cry by Tommies going over the top to attack the enemy (“If they had only heard those boys in France and Flanders who called out ‘Early Doors!’ themselves in a theatrical memory, as they went so early in their youth to break down the doors of death.”). Theatres seem to have stopped the early-doors practice in the early 1920s. When J C Trewin wrote in the Illustrated London News in February 1956 about his memories of the practice half a century earlier, he was able to say that “Early Doors is an archaism.”

What he couldn’t have known was that somebody in the football world in the UK — identity now lost — later remembered the expression and reinvented it to refer figuratively to the early part of a game.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, A'Villan said:

If I were to speculate I'd say that Bournemouth have a bit more leverage in this deal than Villa do. At 26, Mings' value is hardly going to depreciate any time soon.

They know we need to bolster our squad, they know our interest in Mings is strong, they know we have promotion money.

Interesting point. 

I am not sure. You're right in the sense everyone knows we need players. 

But I think it's safe to say Bournemouth aren't interested in keeping a player with a solid injury history on big wages that's disliked by a large portion of their fans. 

We can easily buy a CB else where as well. 

As far as I can tell they also signed a replacement already. 

And they probably could do with more cash to finance other purchases. 

Seems pretty even case to me, which is probably why it's a stalemate.  

Remember reading a Liverpool fan said Purslow was hard on transfer fees and refused to budge if the selling club got greedy.  Suspect it all could drag on. Or we will find an alternative. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

Early doors is not an expression I have heard in any other context than football. 

It is used in Horse Racing.. in the betting market especially..

"Did you have that winner? @Rugeley Villa, not bad at 8/1 sp if you did"

"Yeah I did Rigo, although I got 12/1 early doors."

• Like 1

On 04/07/2019 at 10:04, villabromsgrove said:

Signing Tyrone Mings is incredibly important to us.

His huge presence is felt on the pitch, in the dressing room and in the stands.

He is already becoming a talismanic figure for us.

Finally some common sense, I must of been so confused at people suggesting they are not so bothered in Mings anymore, what are these backwards thinking people saying.

Mings was excellent for us and we have fans saying they ain't bothered, Mings played his heart out for us and needs to be signed.

Pay the 20 mill if that's what they're asking, the work he will most likely do for us will be worth it if he helps keep us up this season.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Finally some common sense, I must of been so confused at people suggesting they are not so bothered in Mings anymore, what are these backwards thinking people saying.

Mings was excellent for us and we have fans saying they ain't bothered, Mings played his heart out for us and needs to be signed.

Pay the 20 mill if that's what they're asking, the work he will most likely do for us will be worth it if he helps keep us up this season.

Backwards thinking?? That’s a bit harsh.

On 04/07/2019 at 10:09, Dante_Lockhart said:

If he has a bad few games, gets sent off, injured etc... what will happen?

The same as every other player, try is hardest to move forward.

Can't see Mings being the type of player who takes a seat when he knows he has to make everything count.  You only had to pay attention in his attitude for us to know how important he became on the pitch, he most likely stopped many of our players being sent off last season.

He came in and had instant power and positive  influence on our lads and they thrived off him keeping the order, we need that again from him.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Backwards thinking?? That’s a bit harsh.

Well it is backwards thinking what's going on after everything Mings did for us, he didn't just play well it was his character, his commanding, the situations he sorted out and especially his heart. 

It's like some people are failing to see how important he was for us and can't see that he's worth 20 mill if that's the price.

Mings is one player who definitely put everything he had Into helping us get to where we are now, he deserves a fresh start.

You made it sound as though I just cursed someone's mother. Instead I'm simply saying there are those who are living in Mings past with his career with Bournmouth and the fact he was injured for a while which is totally backwards thinking, rather than seeing his career for us which is more important.

He is worth it.

Edited by Dave-R

10 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Well it is backwards thinking what's going on after everything Mings did for us, he didn't just play well it was his character, his commanding, the situations he sorted out and especially his heart. 

It's like some people are failing to see how important he was for us and can't see that he's worth 20 mill if that's the price.

Mings is one player who definitely put everything he had Into helping us get to where we are now, he deserves a fresh start.

I would pay 20m for him personally, maybe 15 with another 5 add onns.

But tbh we have no idea what Bournemouth are asking (30m???), or even why the transfer is taking so long, have we even made an offer?, who knows what's going on.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He has posted himself with a new tattoo of a compass to help him get direction. 

It points north to Birmingham. 

It’s a done deal lads!!!

Agreed its a nonsense, said so at the time, utterly meaningless.

Personally we should sign another cb just to show Bournemouth that we are not desperate for him. At the moment they know we are light at cb so can try charge as an inflated fee. Let's sign another cb and then I bet their stance changes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Personally we should sign another cb just to show Bournemouth that we are not desperate for him. At the moment they know we are light at cb so can try charge as an inflated fee. Let's sign another cb and then I bet their stance changes.

With all due respect mate I’d really like to believe that multimillion pound transactions with apparent high calibre of businessmen mutually working on them doesn’t get influenced by

‘’look we’ve bought another centre half, we don’t need Mings anymore’’.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

With all due respect mate I’d really like to believe that multimillion pound transactions with apparent high calibre of businessmen mutually working on them doesn’t get influenced by

Not exactly what I said.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry mate didn’t mean to misread your post. I just would like to think us buying another centre half wouldnt change their stance.  

It would be quite amateurish if it did.

What if we bought two more CBs? 😀

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not quite true.  I’ve been involved in multi-million dollar transactions in the software industry and moves by the client and/or competitors has influenced dynamics of the transaction both early in the process and late in the process.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not quite true.  I’ve been involved in multi-million dollar transactions in the software industry and moves by the client and/or competitors has influenced dynamics of the transaction both early in the process and late in the process.  

That’s why I started my post with I’d really like to believe’.....

Looks like I stand correctly and @Demitri_C could be right. 

Shows what I know.

• Haha 1

Â