Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ben White was constantly out of position and losing runners. Yet he "looked assured" .

Absolute bollocks. Mings played well. 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Add to that the fat left back, Shaw, let runners go past at will a did next to nothing to stop crosses coming in....

The defence was a shambles. It wasn't a unit, it was a collection of individuals.

All things considered Mings played well, as he usually does.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Very poor today. 

11 hours ago, PaulC said:

Poor game. Cant make those type of mistakes against better teams and get away with it. 

He made an early mistake which looked clumsy but never would have actually led to a goal against anyone, and another error later on, but no way on earth can his overall performance be described as "poor" 

Actually played as well as anyone else if not better at the back. 

People do so love to latch onto any errors he makes then make that override anything else he does. 

Edited by sidcow

Thought Mings played well. The issue with England has always been that we're not a unit, as was the case last night. I presume either Stones or Maguire will get injured in the group stages and Mings will get his chance to shine. Shaw is awful.

Mings had a poor first half, but was very good second half.

I actually think the reason for his poor first half was due to the players around him. Shaw was constantly out of position, as was Godfrey on the other side of the pitch. Phillips ahead of him was also constantly missing, he didn't give an option for a pass from the back making it harder for Mings to play out.

But don't let that change the commentators narrative that Mings was our weakest player.

Personally think he will start against Croatia in either a back 2 or a back 3. Really hope he proves the doubters wrong.

I love Mings, but I'd be wary about having him on against Croatia personally. My experience from the Balkans and football is that they are;

1) Very good and very technical.

2) Incredibly cynical and dirty

3) Could piss of a rock by point 2.

Mings could easily get a red card there as he's not very good at handling those to try to get a rise from him.

11 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I love Mings, but I'd be wary about having him on against Croatia personally. My experience from the Balkans and football is that they are;

1) Very good and very technical.

2) Incredibly cynical and dirty

3) Could piss of a rock by point 2.

Mings could easily get a red card there as he's not very good at handling those to try to get a rise from him.

On the plus side, he might batter some Nazi-sympathising clearing in the woods.

• Haha 2

In tournament football against the best teams you won't get away with those silly mistakes of him. 

Doesn't matter if he does OK after. Making a mistake in tournament football is more often than not the difference in being knocked out or advancing to the next round. 

If Maguire doesn't make it it's absolutely disastrous for England 

I'm worried for Mings.

For me, the criticism of him in the last two games has been massively over the top by media, fans etc. He had two decent games, with a few minor lapses in both. Nothing horrendous or calamitous in either. Yet pundits are slaughterong him.

I think GS likes him and will play him if no maguire. 

If he makes a mistake i worry the idiot fans will start making effigys like they did for beckham and southgate

5 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm worried for Mings.

For me, the criticism of him in the last two games has been massively over the top by media, fans etc. He had two decent games, with a few minor lapses in both. Nothing horrendous or calamitous in either. Yet pundits are slaughterong him.

I think GS likes him and will play him if no maguire. 

If he makes a mistake i worry the idiot fans will start making effigys like they did for beckham and southgate

Disagree - the block against Austria was utterly ridiculous.  It's a stonewall penalty all day long and even looked violent to me.  Off the ball, no danger whatsoever - just incredibly stupid (and definitely horrendous/calamitous).

That said, I also agree that his mistakes are highlighted.  "He has a mistake in him" has become a common phrase which means that his good work is under appreciated.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Disagree - the block against Austria was utterly ridiculous.  It's a stonewall penalty all day long and even looked violent to me.  Off the ball, no danger whatsoever - just incredibly stupid (and definitely horrendous/calamitous).

That said, I also agree that his mistakes are highlighted.  "He has a mistake in him" has become a common phrase which means that his good work is under appreciated.

Yeh fair point id forgotten the block against austria. He is still getting very unfairly treated imo

I do think he sometimes makes careless errors, but he also reads the play incredibly well, marshalls his fellow defenders around and is a leader on and off the pitch. We saw how much weaker our great defence looked without him. 

It's what happens when people only watch highlights though, they see the mistakes and don't see the 89 minutes where he wasn't allowing a highlight at our defensive end. I doubt Southgate just watches highlights. 

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

He made an early mistake which looked clumsy but never would have actually led to a goal against anyone, and another error later on, but no way on earth can his overall performance be described as "poor" 

Actually played as well as anyone else if not better at the back. 

People do so love to latch onto any errors he makes then make that override anything else he does. 

I really like Mings. I thought his positioning throughout the game was a bit off. He was as good as the rest of the back four - all of whom were poor for me. I think he was nervous to be honest - has a genuine chance of starting next week. 

Much like with us and Konsa you can understand supporters of other teams' frustrations. Mings isn't bad by any stretch but there's better players waiting at home for a call up.

18 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Much like with us and Konsa you can understand supporters of other teams' frustrations. Mings isn't bad by any stretch but there's better players waiting at home for a call up.

I don't think konsa is better than mings 

Not a lot in it mind 

I think konsa gets away with a lot more and doesn't play under the same microscope 

The main thing is that between them 2 and then cash + Targett as a 4 they just about get it done, we have a solid partnership and defensive unit (with emi too) - England on the other hand do not look like a settled partnership or unit, someone at this tournament is **** up and going under the bus and like someone else said in one of the threads I'm almost close to hoping that mings doesn't actually play so that it can't be him, I don't want him coming back after the summer with that weight on him 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I do think he sometimes makes careless errors, but he also reads the play incredibly well, marshalls his fellow defenders around and is a leader on and off the pitch. We saw how much weaker our great defence looked without him. 

It's what happens when people only watch highlights though, they see the mistakes and don't see the 89 minutes where he wasn't allowing a highlight at our defensive end. I doubt Southgate just watches highlights. 

Football is a funny old game, eh?  I actually think this is his weakest point.  Being vocal, throwing body on the line, last ditch challenges - yeah, he's great.  His reading of the game is generally pretty poor, though.  Often caught out positionally or attempts to win a ball that just isn't there for winning.

This is the problem - "he has a mistake in him"; it's completely true and it's in basically every game.  Because he will have that lapse in concentration and/or he will make a positional error leading to a big chance.  This is why he's at Aston Villa and not a top, top club.  If he didn't "have a mistake in him", he'd be almost the perfect all-round central defender.

Edited by bobzy

20 hours ago, smg said:

It really wasn’t he took his eye off it and lost control, poor concentration , just like the near post header when he left his man unmarked.

Hardly. He was marking the second striker. He needed communication from White to tell him to bump down. Much rather the man at the front post get it than the striker in the centre of the area.

It could have also been a zonal system but either way. Needed communication from behind. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

In tournament football against the best teams you won't get away with those silly mistakes of him. 

Doesn't matter if he does OK after. Making a mistake in tournament football is more often than not the difference in being knocked out or advancing to the next round. 

If Maguire doesn't make it it's absolutely disastrous for England 

And our other first choice centre backs objectively make more costly mistakes than him more regularly. Maguire is the most mistake prone centre back in the country barring John Stones. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

It was a f*ckin hospital pass from Shaw that dropped Mings in it.

I thought it was the combo of Mings and Shaw that was poor - as soon as Shaw went off Tyrone was good. It was like they were on completely different wavelengths the whole time.

• Like 2

Â