Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Thug said:

I love mings, and we’ve a lot to thank him for..

...but this chap’s not wrong with what he’s saying.

I don’t think he’s wrong with what he’s saying in the post that I replied to. I agreed with him. I just don't agree that people aren’t allowed to be critical of Mings.

At some point I'm guessing that if we are serious about pushing top 4 and for European trophies whereas you can see a case for Konsa, then its less so for mings. That said, his mistakes do get amplified and while he does have them in him  so does Stones, Maguire et al. He has been brilliant for us all season and deserves his recognition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peterw said:

At some point I'm guessing that if we are serious about pushing top 4 and for European trophies whereas you can see a case for Konsa, then its less so for mings. That said, his mistakes do get amplified and while he does have them in him  so does Stones, Maguire et al. He has been brilliant for us all season and deserves his recognition.

This is the point I was trying to make a few days ago, outside of Villa he seems to be really unpopular. People are totally intolerant of him and almost will him to make mistakes (which is why I was annoyed he gift wrapped this one for his critics). 
If I’m honest I do wonder if it’s because he is the footballing face of BLM/taking the knee. 

• Like 3

People who take the lead and are outspoken will always divide opinions. Whether that's BLM, Israeli apartheid, feminism or global warming.

I quite like he has a cynical side to him cause we as a club need it, but I find the focus on a few errors he makes pretty funny. Maguire, Alexander Arnold and the lot have had plenty of mistakes the last 12 months, but it's not a talking point.

People say he is a dirty player, but I could name players in buckets the last 20-30 years that make him look like a saint.

It's just a thing when it's AVFC it's focused upon, and when Mings also is naturally outspoken as a person he won't go under the radar.

• Like 2

Mings has got one yellow card for Villa since the Zaha incident so either he isnt really that dirty or is a bit sneaky. 

He is one of our most important players but always the first to get the blame. If McGinn is in bad form he still gets support bit if its Mings its we can replace him

• Like 3

Overall he is an immense player, the difference he's made to Villa since he came in is huge. We were fantastic defensively after he joined in Championship. We were then excellent post lockdown to now defensively in the PL. He makes some mistakes, far fewer than Stones and far more than Konsa. But he brings to much to Villa and hopefully England this summer too. 

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

Overall he is an immense player, the difference he's made to Villa since he came in is huge. We were fantastic defensively after he joined in Championship. We were then excellent post lockdown to now defensively in the PL. He makes some mistakes, far fewer than Stones and far more than Konsa. But he brings to much to Villa and hopefully England this summer too. 

He doesn't have the elegance of Stones. Mings needs to be better with his distribution, imo. 

13 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don’t think he’s wrong with what he’s saying in the post that I replied to. I agreed with him. I just don't agree that people aren’t allowed to be critical of Mings.

I've been critical of him on occasions. Some of the mistakes he has made have been costly. Tbh, I think he has improved a lot this season, he seems to have more of a presence about him,  which is a vital asset as a centre- half. As I said in an earlier post, I still think he could have more composure when on the ball. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

This is the point I was trying to make a few days ago, outside of Villa he seems to be really unpopular. People are totally intolerant of him and almost will him to make mistakes (which is why I was annoyed he gift wrapped this one for his critics). 
If I’m honest I do wonder if it’s because he is the footballing face of BLM/taking the knee. 

I think this is probably it. If you stick your head above the parapet, you are always putting yourself in the line of fire.

I admire him for having the courage to do it.

• Like 2

Just a mistake, it was a clumsy, unnecessary challenge thats all.

Overall in the game I thought he was very good, and England much weaker when he was substituted off.

The main factor he brings to a team is that he can play out from the back; something Coady next to him can't do well. The problem you get when you are a ball playing centre back is that your passing errors are highlighted as such when they are made. Passing the ball and losing it in the midfield isn't too bad, passing a ball and losing it from the back can be a problem. Mings has become a victim of being the main distributor of the ball from the back. It's why he sometimes get caught on the ball as he looks to play the ball out.

For me in a back 5 for England I would start him (if Maguire is not fit), or in a two I would play him next to Stones.

Our defence has been superb at times this season, with Mings at the heart of it. People say that to improve further then Mings needs replacing next; I completely disagree, the next stage of strengthening ourselves defensively is the defensive midfield and more ball carriers further up the pitch.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

He doesn't have the elegance of Stones. Mings needs to be better with his distribution, imo. 

I agree he has areas to improve, doesn’t everyone. But if we swapped Mings for Stones I’d be mortified. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, peterw said:

For real? What would you call playing for England if not a good case?

• Like 1

There’s a certain Ben Godfrey who doesn’t seem to cop a mention considering he almost passed the ball straight past Pickford into the back of the net and he dicked around with the ball against Villa and got sharked by Ollie. 

Stones is decent but is always one touch away from a brain fart himself.

And the amount of times I see Maguire **** up and be saved by a teammate, the opponent not being quite clinical enough, or the referee is off the the ******* charts.

Konsa will get there but Mings is still the better overall player for now. When Konsa’s form dropped in the final 3rd of the season Mings was superbly consistent. 

If people are going to criticise for a penalty kick that COULD have been paid - we may have to re-think this whole Buendia thing as he’s good for 1-2 red cards per season.

• Thanks 1

Â