Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

15 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I wanted him to start in games like today and Sheffield United where you'd expect us to win, unfortunately that hasn't been the case and for Ramsey himself hasn't really put his stamp on the game and shown too much what he's about. 

I'm absolutely not writing him off. He's a young player and has plenty of time to develop which I'm sure he will but I don't think he's quite ready to start games for now. 

In the matches you mention, without Grealish, is it not like the most critical position almost? Bad selection, but then that's easy to say in retrospect.

Remember when everyone complained that the likes of O’hare where not getting any minutes, one of the academy finally gets some minutes and everybody complains , might as well set a match to the academy 

• Like 2

sanson does more in his cameos than ramsey does in the 50/60 mins prior. there's not an end product to his game yet. i'm not writing him off, but we're losing points by playing him over sanson right now. newcastle were absolutely woeful tonight but the game totally passed him by and it's yet another missed opportunity for him.

• Like 2

I think I've seen enough of him to say that I don't think he's good enough to be starting at the moment for us. Not if we want to get into Europe.

Which I'm sure as hell not giving up on just yet. We're 7 points off 5th with 11 games to go. Its difficult, but not an impossible gap to overcome with a good run of form which Smith and this Villa team have shown they can get.

He's a neat and tidy player comfortable on the ball.

We know Dean likes that in a player in midfield area and he's certainly being trusted with enough minutes since December.

Only prem game where I thought he looked really out of his depth was Sheffield United where he was bullied out of things.

One concern I have though is he gets in final third but dosen't really have much of a killer pass or something to link up with the forward. For example as average as McGinn was again he hit a nice little throughball that got Trez in behind their fullback in the first half.

I've yet to see Ramsey execute that sort of pass, all very sideways and safe currently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's a neat and tidy player comfortable on the ball.

We know Dean likes that in a player in midfield area and he's certainly being trusted with enough minutes since December.

Only prem game where I thought he looked really out of his depth was Sheffield United where he was bullied out of things.

One concern I have though is he gets in final third but dosen't really have much of a killer pass or something to link up with the forward. For example as average as McGinn was again he hit a nice little throughball that got Trez in behind their fullback in the first half.

I've yet to see Ramsey execute that sort of pass, all very sideways and safe currently.

He put Elghazi through twice vs Sheffield  was involved in the goal vs leeds, played a lovely ball to Traore vs Bristol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

To be honest I’m quite okay with Ramsey getting game time. We’re clearly not getting into Europe, so why not let the youth gain valuable development. He’s not perfect but he’ll become a better player for it.

no but every position is worth about 2m. we're losing points because our midfield is poor at the moment and every position we gain gets 2m quid added to our FFP headroom. i want us to finish as strongly as possible, and whilst we're neither getting into europe nor going down, a bottom half finish would feel like a real disappointment

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

no but every position is worth about 2m. we're losing points because our midfield is poor at the moment and every position we gain gets 2m quid added to our FFP headroom. i want us to finish as strongly as possible, and whilst we're neither getting into europe nor going down, a bottom half finish would feel like a real disappointment

I really don't think it would make that much difference to our summer plans.

We finished 17th on the last day of the season and still spent big and were able to attract the likes of Martinez and Barkley.

Regardless of where we finish, I think we will have another productive summer. 

Edited by DCJonah

22 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I really don't think it would make that much difference to our summer plans.

We finished 17th on the last day of the season and still spent big and were able to attract the likes of Martinez and Barkley.

Regardless of where we finish, I think we will have another productive summer. 

whilst i do agree that we'll be busy this summer, i think an 8/9th place finish does change which window you're shopping at slightly vs a 13/14th finish. players would look at the former and think "they're knocking on the door of europe" whereas players are less likely if they think you're 3/4 seasons away from continental footy.

so back on topic, i think we need to be playing our strongest team, which right now i don't think ramsey is part of

Edited by tomav84

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

whilst i do agree that we'll be busy this summer, i think an 8/9th place finish does change which window you're shopping at slightly vs a 13/14th finish. players would look at the former and think "they're knocking on the door of europe" whereas players are less likely if they think you're 3/4 seasons away from continental footy.

so back on topic, i think we need to be playing our strongest team, which right now i don't think ramsey is part of

Maybe. I'm not so sure. 

I think money speaks volumes and I think we're in a strong position in a post covid market. I don't see us struggling to much to again improve our squad next year. 

I'd rather finish as high as possible but I don't think we will have a major knock on effect if we drop.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't really get why he starts. 

He can still develop with minutes off the bench. 

Agreed, off the bench he has looked really bright but every start he's really struggled to impose himself.

It's really hard and he's not doing badly but we have better options atm.

Think he started because Sanson picked up a knock in the previous game and because Barkley has played himself out of the team. 

Ramsey is not there yet but every minute is welcome long term. I wouldn't start him either if Sanson was 100% fit thou.

15 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Remember when everyone complained that the likes of O’hare where not getting any minutes, one of the academy finally gets some minutes and everybody complains , might as well set a match to the academy 

everyone then moans than Kesler isnt starting ahead of Elmo :D 

Jacob's done ok. However, we have too many ok level players, actually all our midfield is ok. Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey... we have an excellent keeper, good defence, ok midfield and ok'ish attack.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

He put Elghazi through twice vs Sheffield  was involved in the goal vs leeds, played a lovely ball to Traore vs Bristol

Just watched the Leeds goal again. He played a part but it was picking the ball up on edge of box and passing a couple of yards sideways to Watkins. Ollie in fairness hits lovely floated ball to AEG so that's more the vision I'm talking about, does Ramsey have enough of it to be effective attacking midfielder in premier league in coming years as I don't really see him as deep lying player in mould of Luiz.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Jacob's done ok. However, we have too many ok level players, actually all our midfield is ok. Luiz, McGinn, Sanson, Ramsey... we have an excellent keeper, good defence, ok midfield and ok'ish attack.

Which I very much would not have predicted at the start of the season. I had the midfield (with Grealish) as by far our strongest area of the pitch.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2021 at 19:13, AVTuco said:

Doing OK when you're his age is good, though, as he'll only get better. 

Â