Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

16 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

I actually thought in the ten minutes before he was subbed he was growing into the game was taking the ball more than anyone and giving and going and plenty of one touch link play. Think it was wrong decision to sub him

Shouldnt take u 60 minutes to grow inti a game though. He was anonymous and in my view right move to sub him

Let's be clear the team that started never had the invention to break down a stubbornly defending 10 men. Ramsey was the most inventive of the lot. In the final third the final ball which usually came from the widemen simply wasn't good enough. Mcginn was also poor in the final third, and the fullbacks didn't overlap much to support attacks, as they are both slow!

The sending off played into their hands. Mings and Konsa were the only players that can be happy with their performance. They were all sub par. To pin it all on Ramsey is unfair. McGinn continuously gave the ball away when in the final third, Nakamba is all about defending, Anwar lacked the awareness that he had the beating of his man so he should be using that to get into more advanced positions rather than using the yard of space he made without trying to hit deep balls into the box. Traore kept overplaying. Ollie looked like he was lacking a bit of power. 

Making two central midfield changes just as we were building momentum and keeping the ball in the their half, wrecked that and mean we had a 15 minute period of struggling to find any rhythm. He should have just taken off Nakamba for Barkley or Davis.

So much was sub par about this from the management, to the entire midfield,  the fullbacks, and the attackers. To scapegoat a youngster making his third Premier league start is a bit disgraceful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Shouldnt take u 60 minutes to grow inti a game though. He was anonymous and in my view right move to sub him

He is 19, so for me, he gets credit for being as good or crap as our best ' seniors ' at any given time.

He is learning and these experiences will only improve him.

I have alot more time for him than some of the other.

He has a higher ceiling than some of our ' seniors ', and for me, him offering the same but nothing different, st his age and stage of development, is a win.

He will undoubtedly struggle at times but they all do.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

Let down by the players around him last night.

A 19 year old attacking midfielder shouldn't have to be dropping deep to take the ball from the centre backs.

In hindsight we should have rested him midweek ready to be available on Saturday. A bit more experience in that midfield maybe would have helped to break down Sheffield Unitd.

Ramsey did nothing wrong though and was one of the better players last night.

I really like the look of him. Not afraid of taking charge, great technique with his touches and passing. He's got plenty to learn but the future is looking bright for him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Let's be clear the team that started never had the invention to break down a stubbornly defending 10 men. Ramsey was the most inventive of the lot. In the final third the final ball which usually came from the widemen simply wasn't good enough. Mcginn was also poor in the final third, and the fullbacks didn't overlap much to support attacks, as they are both slow!

The sending off played into their hands. Mings and Konsa were the only players that can be happy with their performance. They were all sub par. To pin it all on Ramsey is unfair. McGinn continuously gave the ball away when in the final third, Nakamba is all about defending, Anwar lacked the awareness that he had the beating of his man so he should be using that to get into more advanced positions rather than using the yard of space he made without trying to hit deep balls into the box. Traore kept overplaying. Ollie looked like he was lacking a bit of power. 

Making two central midfield changes just as we were building momentum and keeping the ball in the their half, wrecked that and mean we had a 15 minute period of struggling to find any rhythm. He should have just taken off Nakamba for Barkley or Davis.

So much was sub par about this from the management, to the entire midfield,  the fullbacks, and the attackers. To scapegoat a youngster making his third Premier league start is a bit disgraceful.

I don't think anyone means to do that, but I don't think this was a game for him.....having said that, I don't think he did anything wrong, but to me he looked a bit like a 19 year old learning his trade....He did not look like an Emile Smith Rowe or a Saka taking the game to opponents.....Now I know they have far more games under their belt to be fair....but Jacob looked like a promising kid, which is what he is.

Against Sheff Utd scraping for their lives, in a 3-5-2 you want seasoned players to mix it with them.....This is a team who recently beat man U and only just lost against the mercurial Man City.....They are durable and they throw bodies on the line.

Nakamba is a spoiler, a decent one Imo.....but as you say, not really needed, that was an early change that should have been made....I have no qualms, with the original line up, but as the games dynamics unfolded, counter measures, should have been made earlier....Its hard to judge Keinan when we give him 10 minutes....but if we are to keep using him as a battering ram, I think we are being unfair to the boy.

It was a result and performance, I half expected....You have to be  infinately smarter on the ball to negate their workman like approach, I don't think we are just yet....We struggled to overcome them at VP and only a penalty save seen us through, despite claiming the lions share of possession, like we did then.....nothing really changed other than the score.

Their goal was just poor play on our behalf.....sad fact is you only want one of those moments to lose all games.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

THIRD PL game and he did not look out of place.

People expect more than that from our midfielders.

It's all about expectations. As expectations change so do the demands change.

When fighting relegation it's fine to have midfielders doing an ok job but if fans want us to push for those European places just doing ok won't be enough.

I really hope Ramsey succeed here but if we keep progressing at the current rate and the owners spending power keeps pushing Ramsey will have to develop at a high rate to keep up with us.

Fans have even been critical with Sanson based on his performance. I thought he did ok but fans demands keeps growing. That is very evident to see.

Edited by villalad21

I think he is neat and tidy, comfortable with the ball, plays the safe pass, takes up good positions and seems to read the game well, playing very mature at only 19. But I've yet to see any real stand out qualities from him. Over the last two games I can remember two forward passes where I thought he did something extra, othe rthan that the most impressive thing is that he is young and looks comfortable. Of course he will improve and no idea how high the ceiling is for him, but I don't really get how he warrants a place in the team over Luiz, Barkley and Sanson. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skruff said:

Nakamba, Luiz and Ramsey would be more balanced midfield with McGinn and Barkley out of form. 

Hope we get to see that.

I wouldn't play Nakamba and Luiz together tbh - they're both CDMs and like sitting in front of the back 4. I'd go with Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey, personally. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I think he is neat and tidy, comfortable with the ball, plays the safe pass, takes up good positions and seems to read the game well, playing very mature at only 19. But I've yet to see any real stand out qualities from him. Over the last two games I can remember two forward passes where I thought he did something extra, othe rthan that the most impressive thing is that he is young and looks comfortable. Of course he will improve and no idea how high the ceiling is for him, but I don't really get how he warrants a place in the team over Luiz, Barkley and Sanson. 

I've seen more of that from him than Barkley tbh. Then again I think there's more important qualities in football than being a good cage ball player.

Going through Ramsey's stats on FBref. Still very early days, so much so that the site has not produced a scouting report on him. But I still wanted to see in what stats has he been impressing in the limited time he's been playing for us because I haven't really seen any aspect in which he's standing out yet.

Going to skip stats like goals scored and assists made because obviously he has 0 in both but that's extremely understandable considering the amount of time he's played. 

The following are stats in which his average is better than the average for his position in the league.

Shooting

Shots per 90

Shots on target per 90

Average shot distance(not even sure if I should include this, but it is lower than the average)

Its really hard to make any conclusions regarding shooting yet without having to resort to goals so I think I'm just going to ignore this part.

Passing

Medium passing completion rate.

That's it. Surprisingly, near all his passing stats are actually below average and there are a lot of them. Again take this with a grain of salt considering how little he's played, but I think this is tentative evidence that passing isn't his strength. 

Goal and shot creation

Completed live-ball passes per 90 that led to a shot attempt

Goal creating action per 90.

He actually has 1 goal creating action, which when averaged over his limited playing time, puts him above average in this regard. If you're wondering which goal this is, its the goal against Leeds. He passed the ball to Watkins who slipped and crossed it to El Ghazi who finished it.

Defensive actions

Amount of times dribbled past per 90

Pressures per 90

Successful pressures per 90

Pressures in the defensive third per 90

Pressures in the middle third per 90

Pressures in the attacking third per 90

Blocks per 90

Shots blocked per 90

Passes blocked per 90

Ok these are a lot of stats that are higher than average. You could definitely see this as evidence that Ramsey's true strength may be in defense. If you compare these stats with Barkley's, they probably blow his out of the water but I'm not going to go check myself.

His tackle and interceptions stats however are pretty low.

Posession

Touches in the attacking third per 90

Touches in the attacking penalty area per 90

Dribbles competed per 90

Dribbles attempted per 90

Successful dribble percentage per 90

Players dribbled past per 90

Progressive passes received per 90

The thing that stood out the most to me is how all his dribbling stats are higher than average. However his carrying stats are paradoxically pretty low. I would think those two would be positively correlated, and any reason for why they aren't with Ramsey is beyond me.

Note that being better than average doesn't necessarily mean he's a standout in this category, just that well he's higher than average. Trying to cast a wide as net as possible to try and identify all his positive attributes.

It seems to me that he's impressed most in pressuring players and dribbling in the short time he's been playing so far. And of the main attribute groups, he has impressed most in defense. May need to work harder at his passing however.

https://fbref.com/en/players/1544f145/Jacob-Ramsey

Edited by Laughable Chimp

On 04/03/2021 at 17:33, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I don't really understand the criticism, Ramsey is starting only his third...THIRD PL game and he did not look out of place.

Don't you? Haven't you been on this forum for years? 🤣

On 05/03/2021 at 00:09, Keener window-cleaner said:

He put Elghazi in twice against leeds

On 04/03/2021 at 16:33, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I don't really understand the criticism, Ramsey is starting only his third...THIRD PL game and he did not look out of place.

People aren't judging the lad, they're judging the performance. A performance is good or bad regardless of the player's background. The conclusions you draw after that on the other hand must take the  player's background into account. 

I'm sure everyone (or nearly) is very enthusiastic about Ramsay and have high hopes and expectations. There's nothing wrong in saying he might not be the best option to start games right now. 

Â