Jacob Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

22 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

But at the same time - don't hold it against them when they sell one of our players!

It's an uncomfortable truth but until we're competing in the UCL year after year, there's always going to be that possibility.

I think the immediate goal is to get into CL (can’t do that by weakening the team, even EL would be good and a step in the right direction) and to improve revenue streams, boost finances (why Heck is here) rather than sell important players…

it’s just IF (the word of the day) anyone puts in a crazy offer for a player, otherwise… no one important is leaving… that’s my take anyway…

Edited by Jas10

I chuckled when I saw the links earlier. On the one hand we have Newcastle linked, who apparently are being hamstrung by FFP so why would they be shelling out £50m+ for JJ when they need to churn some of their own players to free up FFP headroom. On the other hand we have Spurs, who have been linked with a number of our players over they years going back to the days of Ashley Young Mk1 and more recently Emi Martinez. How many of them have they actually stumped up the money for and signed? I can't recall one actually happening, even when they had a simple tap in to acquire Grealish they still couldn't do it. So whenever I see Spurs are interested in one of our players I have no fear of losing them.

I don't think Ramsey will be going anywhere soon, and if pushed I would guess Douglas Luiz will be our next big name departure and most sellable asset for FFP. That is just a gut feeling based on the constant rumours linking Dougie to Arsenal and his contract coming up to two years remaining this summer. I think Emery and Monchi will have some ideas of replacements already in mind from La Liga. Hopefully I am wrong (wouldn't be the first time) and he signs a new contract this summer.

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe offers very blunt reply to Aston Villa transfer question

Howe has acted quickly to shut down the report [on Ramsey] with a blunt reply. Asked if there were any truth to the reports, the ex-Bournemouth boss simply replied: "Incorrect."

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1860782/Newcastle-transfer-news-Eddie-Howe-Aston-Villa-Jacob-Ramsey

When he was captain of the England U21s, even amongst his talented teammates, he was the one who consistently stood out most. That speaks for itself. 

I even remember Ian Wright singling him out for praise after one game, remarking on how, " he ran the show".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

You know there is no reality in which a Newcastle pays us 50m upfront. That's not how they do business, for the same fiscal reasons we're all discussing here 

That's not the point. You book the £50m straight away, regardless of the actual bank transactions not happening all at once. It's £50m to this year's accounts, regardless of when the money arrives. 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd also argue that Jacob Ramsey being a "key player" is up for debate

I have no doubt whatsoever that when injury free and nearing his prime, he will be one hell of a player. 

Nothing more pleasing to the ear than, "he's one of our own," and long may that continue. 

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We need to stop overblowing this FFP crap and stop shitting ourselves about losing players…

Journos don’t know our situation either, it’s all speculation and guesswork. Controversial headlines and articles gain traffic and clicks…

Unai and Monchi are on it and know what they’re doing… yes, we have to manage things and be sensible but… we’re not going to make huge sacrifices or set ourselves back imo… we’re going to be savvy and come up with ways to counteract these sorts of things… like we did with recent sales…

Just listen to Unai and sod the journos…

I honestly think Villa fans keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. The years of terrible management just has us questioning everything because for a solid decade before our current owners showed up we pissed away every opportunity. As you stated, at some point we just have to trust Unai and the owners know what they are doing.  

What's the saying about not knowing you are in the good ol days til they are gone. Villa fans are going to spend some much time worrying about our success they will never get around to enjoying it in the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

I think it was clear that he was/is not going anywhere this transfer window. Over the summer would be a different story especially financially. 

so we put the BS in cold storage then?....and bring it back out when events are more palpable.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

If Aston Villa were forced to sell Jacob Ramsey for some BS FFP abomination, I would step away from football for a while.

Any decision this version of Aston Villa make will not be forced.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Did nobody learn anything from Grealish.  If right offer comes in Ramsey is off.  Way you build a stronger team in long run unfortunately.  Credit to Purslow, he saw this way before other teams like Newcastle and we were getting best youth from all over UK.  

Its way FFp is, we have to live with it to such a time we have a strong enough squad we don’t have to sell.  We aren’t there yet.

Main difference being Jack was desperate to go for years and we actually wanted to keep him? Regardless of the " big sacrifice for us " fantasy so many have built up in their heads.

Turned out to be a great deal as you say anyway, also, Jack is the one who asked for the release clause.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

I think if JJ got an offer from the big 4 then he would find the decision to go or not far more difficult than Grealish . Jack loves the limelight. JJ the opposite. His initial dream was not to win the Champions League. It was to play for Villa alongside his 2 brothers. 

Things may change in the future but with the full backing of his manager, he isnt going anywhere for a while unless a silly bid comes in and the club makes the decision for him. 

• Like 1

Â