Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We signed him.

He got injured.

Steer performed well as Number 1.

I think that's all there is to it. Smith has shown that he isn't afraid to leave players out if the player with the shirt is performing and hasn't done anything to be dropped.

true but i mean more we are looking at new keepers (etheridge etc), so to do that there must be a concern that one or the other isnt up to it? (or maybe kalinic doesnt want to be a no 2, dunno)

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

true but i mean more we are looking at new keepers (etheridge etc), so to do that there must be a concern that one or the other isnt up to it? (or maybe kalinic doesnt want to be a no 2, dunno)

yeah that's a fair shout.

I said elsewhere that I wouldn't be surprised if we went in for another keeper this summer.

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We signed him.

He got injured.

Steer performed well as Number 1.

I think that's all there is to it. Smith has shown that he isn't afraid to leave players out if the player with the shirt is performing and hasn't done anything to be dropped.

Agreed. Absolutely nothing to see here, Kalinic got injured and it then became very difficult to drop a guy when his inclusion coincided with a winning run. 

That said it won't be lost on Smith that the winning run also coincided with the significant improvement of the back 4 with the introduction of Mings and Hause, and latter the return of Tuanzebe. 

I'm sure decisions will be made over the summer, and if rumours are correct we might even be in for another keeper, but i wouldn't at all be suprised (nor would i be upset) to see Kalinic start the season as number 1. 

i would like to see Kalinic given a shot, the dude is a man mountain and a perfect build for a top keeper, i know there are questions over his agility etc, so dunno, suppose time will tell.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would like to see Kalinic given a shot, the dude is a man mountain and a perfect build for a top keeper, i know there are questions over his agility etc, so dunno, suppose time will tell.

Again I've said it before, but I think there's more chance of Kalinic starting next season as our Number 1 than Steer

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I got a feeling we want to sign a new keeper. But with the amount of positions we need to fill it’s probably not a priority.

I agree and think a new GK is pretty much right at the bottom of our list in importance for new signings, but weirdly with the rumour of the etheridge offer seems the club think otherwise 🤔

I think it would be strange to spend £7m on a keeper, or any player, and then bin him after a handful of matches. We appear to be doing things properly now and I’d assume that includes due diligence on players. 

I can only conclude that it’s just paper talk, or we realise we’ve dropped a clanger and aren’t messing about before we put it right. Perhaps his injury was worse than we’re lead to believe so we’re getting  shot without any fuss. 

I think he will be our number 1, with Steer in the background providing the perfect motivation to perform. 

8 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Unless my memory is gone I'm sure Bruce team scouted him and we tried to buy him ? Then when we were desperate for a keeper under Smith we signed him ?

yeah Jan 2016 i think, he was denied a work permit.

our relegation year, Garde was the manager at the time iirc.

Edited by MaVilla

39 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I expect he will be our first choice goalkeeper for the first game of next season. You don't give up on a £7.5m keeper that you waited years to sign that quickly. 

Agree with this entirely

For he looks slow getting down and his kicking isnt great.

The kicking can be worked on ...not so sure his speed can.

Unless we sign someone Steer is no 1 for me. Over a season kalinic will get a chance - for me steer is the better keeper.

Â