Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

Just seen a report saying he is had successful surgery on his knee.

Speedy recovery and hope he fully fit and up to speed for next season.

Edited by MaVilla

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Spoony said:

What was the point in this signing? If rumours are to be believed it seems no one ever rated this guy.

There's something a bit weird about it.

It's like he was hanging around on a few people's transfer lists and we were absolutely desperate as Nyland was chucking them in every game.

I remember Smith saying he had good distribution which I'd never noticed with him before. Or good with his feet, something like that. Then I watched him for Villa and as I thought he was lumbering in possession and definitely didn't appear confident playing it on the deck. May have been a cliche Deano was just throwing out there, which is rare for him, he doesn't pander like that. Stuck in my head though because it seemed wrong, and I wonder if the gaffer hadn't seen that much of him.

I think the raw materials are there actually. Guy can be a real commanding keeper for us. He can work on his feet and communication with the defence but Steer can't work on growing taller.

No problem from me starting the season with Lovre and Jed as 1/2. We've got too much else to sort out.

7 hours ago, Spoony said:

What was the point in this signing? If rumours are to be believed it seems no one ever rated this guy.

I do but all I have to go on is the Nations League match between England and Croatia, he was outstanding, singlehandedly kept Croatia in the match. In my opinion, if we give him time, he will come good. As Arsene Wenger used to say, it always takes a foreign import 6 months to adjust to this country. According to wiki, Kalinic has only played 7 tines for us, surely that is too early to write him off

• Like 2

Let’s not forget that Jed Steer has been excellent. By all reports Jed trained the house down, earned the right to an opportunity and took it with both hands.

I commend Smith for making the call to put faith in a keeper competing for a spot with one of his major signings so far. Sends a message to the squad that everyone will get a fair crack regardless of stature. 

As someone above has mentioned, I’d be quite content heading into next season with these two competing for the number one spot. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Let’s not forget that Jed Steer has been excellent. By all reports Jed trained the house down, earned the right to an opportunity and took it with both hands.

I commend Smith for making the call to put faith in a keeper competing for a spot with one of his major signings so far. Sends a message to the squad that everyone will get a fair crack regardless of stature. 

As someone above has mentioned, I’d be quite content heading into next season with these two competing for the number one spot. 

Competition for places makes players better. Not saying Steer wouldn't have taken his chance but if Bunn was No. 2 he might have coasted

At the time of signing him we were pretty desperate for a keeper, and nobody would've foreseen Steer coming through. It was a punt that has so far not paid off. Couldn't care less though as we're now a PL club and it was worth the risk. Besides, he may still prove to be a good signing.

to me his is big guy who struggles to get down with any degree of speed. - This pretty much looks like how he is made - and therefore don't see much scope for improvement. 

He’s been quite unlucky really. Got thrown in goal for arguably one of the worst defences in the league. Gets concussion and then gets a knee injury. At the same time our number 2 comes in and does a great job to keep him out.

Bit of a nightmare move for him really. A preseason with the team will do him good. Almost like a fresh start. 

As for my opinion on him as a keeper I’ve literally only seen him a few teams so hard to judge. For me goalkeeping is a lot about confidence and his must be pretty low after everything that’s happens.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Hawk said:

Agreed. As a minor thought eksperiment. What do you reckon we would have to pay for Steer, a 26 year old in form keeper from a newly promoted side, if we were to buy him? He has easily 10 years of professional football in front of him and is just getting better. 

33 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Agreed. As a minor thought eksperiment. What do you reckon we would have to pay for Steer, a 26 year old in form keeper from a newly promoted side, if we were to buy him? He has easily 10 years of professional football in front of him and is just getting better. 

I reckon most clubs would sell for about 4-5 mil

• Like 1

Â