Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

maybe, i wouldnt bet on it though, i get the feeling he only extended his contract because he got a run in the team, if he was a bench warmer all season i would literally bet money that he wouldnt extend again.

Im guessing, but after that run in the second half of the season, added to his heroics versus WBA, i dont think he wants to be a no 2 :)

I could be wrong.

He probably doesn’t want to be a number 2. But I reckon he will back himself to try and challenge the number 1.

Ok so if were talking about steer it goes in the kalinic thread and if were talking about kalinic it goes in the steer thread.......

Maybe someone can swap the past 5 pages or so in each thread around or somehow merge the two keepers together. Surely the pair of them combined must make a decent keeper than may even be worth 15 million.

FWIW i would rather start Steer than buy Butland too....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I am not saying anyone will buy Rashford, what I am saying is that is what he would be worth to Man U if they were to sell.

You're not saying anything of substance to argue the point, you're just making snide remarks about me playing too much FIFA (which I don't play).

And I’d guess that nor does the person accusing u of playing too much FIFA, because if he did, he’d know that the pricing model in FIFA undervalues everything.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I am not saying anyone will buy Rashford, what I am saying is that is what he would be worth to Man U if they were to sell.

Exactly. That's how this (and any competitive market) works. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2019 at 22:21, OxfordVillan said:

Was Neil Etheridge a championship keeper the season before last? Yes. He’s had a decent season in a relegated team and now £8m isn’t enough, apparently. What evidence is there to suggest that Steer wouldn’t have an equally decent season?

He might. But he hasn't.

If he plays for us this season and does well in the Premier League then it's a totally different scenario. He's then proven in the premier league and £8m+ is a reasonable estimate.

The fact that we're talking about £8m ish for Neil Etheridge is evidence that people talking about £10-£15m for Steer are being very optimistic.

Why we talking about selling Jed Steer in the Kalanic thread? the last 4 pages are utter madness.

Steer isnt going anywhere, he just signed a new contract and is our number 1 choice. If we were to buy a new keeper then the other 3 would go before him.

He's a top shot stopper. That save against Rodriguez is the best save any Villa keeper has made since probably Bosnich, his distribution is excellent as well.

You all need to give your head a wobble.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Why we talking about selling Jed Steer in the Kalanic thread? the last 4 pages are utter madness.

Because somebody asked how much we'd get if we sold Steer so it prompted a discussion

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

He's a top shot stopper. That save against Rodriguez is the best save any Villa keeper has made since probably Bosnich, his distribution is excellent as well.

Agreed. Although Guzan's vs Blackburn was better. 
But goalkeeping is about much much more than shot stopping. Every goalkeeper at this level is a good shot stopper.

6 minutes ago, Junxs said:

You all need to give your head a wobble.

baby-on-back-seat-really-likes-5407.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I agree he’s a good shot stopper but as has been mentioned previously every keeper should be a good shot stopper. For me his biggest strength is his positioning.   I think he reads the game well. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree he’s a good shot stopper but as has been mentioned previously every keeper should be a good shot stopper. For me his biggest strength is his positioning.   I think he reads the game well. 

There are levels of shot stopping though..

It's like saying every striker should be a good finisher, you expect your striker to finish etc.

Some keepers are better at saving than others, positioning yourself for a good save is like a striker getting in a good position to score. You still have to be able to save/score from a good position.

Being able to anticipate where the striker is going to put it is another skill, sometimes you can pull off an excellent save by reading the strikers body language and anticipating where they are going to shoot. I've seen too many keepers trying to react after the balls already gone, you see some will dive after the shot gone past them.

40 minutes ago, Junxs said:

There are levels of shot stopping though..

It's like saying every striker should be a good finisher, you expect your striker to finish etc.

Some keepers are better at saving than others, positioning yourself for a good save is like a striker getting in a good position to score. You still have to be able to save/score from a good position.

Being able to anticipate where the striker is going to put it is another skill, sometimes you can pull off an excellent save by reading the strikers body language and anticipating where they are going to shoot. I've seen too many keepers trying to react after the balls already gone, you see some will dive after the shot gone past them.

I agree with you mate. But In terms of athletiscm, speed of reaction, strength to parry etc. I don’t think these are Steers strengths and might be why he isn’t as rated as a keeper as he should be.

But what he lacks up in those areas he more than makes up with his positioning and anticipation in my opinion.

2 hours ago, slovenian said:

croatian news sites suggest he lost his place in their starting XI, some guy Livaković will start their game vs wales on saturday.

I didn’t know Jed Steer was Croatian ?

😎

• Haha 2

What on earth is going on with kalinic?

Have we signed him then someone decided he won't cut it?

I heard a rumour he was a suso signing and not a Dean Smith signing?  No idea though.

Sad really if it doesn't work out, not a small amount of money to waste, he's a huge guy also his frame would be ideal for a prem gk, wonder if they think he's not agile enough or something?

Edited by MaVilla

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

What on earth is going on with kalinic?

Have we signed him then someone decided he won't cut it?

I heard a rumour he was a suso signing and not a Dean Smith signing?  No idea though.

Sad really if it doesn't work out, not a small amount of money to waste, he's a huge guy also his frame would be ideal for a prem gk, wonder if they think he's not agile enough or something?

We signed him.

He got injured.

Steer performed well as Number 1.

I think that's all there is to it. Smith has shown that he isn't afraid to leave players out if the player with the shirt is performing and hasn't done anything to be dropped.

• Like 1

Â