January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've started feeling like this is a mix of Karma from people who were in love with Bruce and some of us being critical.

I also realise some people will never be happy no matter what, and some will be "happy clappers" as some people say.

I wish more of us could offer a more realistic medium ffs.

The number of fans on here who act like they are new to Football is incredible.

We've signed a number of players we were excited about over the years who have turned out to be shite, and vice versa.

In the years I've been on VT, you'd think the maturity of the fanbase on here will have grown with it.

There is having an opinion, and then there is straight up horseshite and childish expectation (which ironically, is also my opinion).

Now I realise why a shitload of them prefer 'other football' and 'off topic' rather than in here.

Some of the threads in here are just madness at times.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Whether you like to accept it or not, the footballing men at the club probably know more about football than you do

Thank you - as one who tends to be optimistic by nature, this is the correct response

In the trinity we trust.

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Now I realise why a shitload of them prefer 'other football' and 'off topic' rather than in here.

Some of the threads in here are just madness at times.

Hahah mate we both moan at times and of course we will always have our own opinions but I usually find the likes of you, and even @TRO when critical still try to keep some sort of balance.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes indeed.

The likes of you and Screwdriver must he "the most intelligent ones" Steve Bruce referred to.

I'd answer you with : Some fans watch a plethora of football, however are also in tune with the reality of where we are football wise, financially, and so on.

So have realistic expectations and see the long term plan as opposed to emulating your best season in Fifa or Championship Manager.

Whether you like to accept it or not, the footballing men at the club probably know more about foot all than you do.

I'm inclined to think we had a number of target s which none of us knew about which we could not get done for a variety of reasons, so have done the wise thing and tried our best to get the alternatives we could realistically get in positions we feel were the most crucial.

Now we can accept our reality or we can go on message boards and social media to express how shit we feel our club is and "how low we have fallen".

...then you have supporters on here like you, who think that anyone who doesn't back 100% of every decision being made at the club isn't "tuned into the reality" of the situation where the club is at right now.  Some of you need to get off your high horses and actually read the posts you're slagging off before typing your stock "get with the program" responses.  Screwdriver & I were discussing the fact that we dodged a bullet by not signing Fer and are puzzled by the fact that most of our supporters are blindly rating Fer, because he had one good game against us, but ~5 years of declining performances in the Premier League...  You spun this into the response above.  Just because I think that signing a 29 year old, overrated player on big wages for 3-5 years isn't in our best interests, doesn't mean I have "unrealistic expectations" and am bitching about "how low we've fallen".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've started feeling like this is a mix of Karma from people who were in love with Bruce and some of us being critical when he was in charge.

I also realise some people will never be happy no matter what, and some will be "happy clappers" as some people say.

We've signed a number of players we were excited about over the years who have turned out to be shite, and vice versa.

In the years I've been on VT, you'd think the maturity of the fanbase on here will have grown with it.

There is having an opinion, and then there is straight up horseshite and childish expectation (which ironically, is also my opinion).

I think a lot of fans are frustrated by the fact that we've been declining as a club for 10 seasons now and are lashing out at anything and everything they don't agree with.  There are some who are going overboard and unreasonably slagging off many decisions or lack of decisions that the club makes.  On the other hand, you have a new contingent of fans who blindly defend every single decision the club makes, now that we have new owners & a new manager and will bash anyone questioning anything as a "Bruce Lover".  I think most fans are somewhere in the middle and cautiously optimistic with Smith, Purslow, and the new owners, but we've been screwed over so many times in the past by Deadly, Lerner, Xia, and a revolving door of managers, that they're afraid that if they get too bought into the talk, it's only going to end in disappointment, like we've come to expect.  The problem is that both the "doom mongers" and the "happy clappers" are lumping any opinion on here in with the other group and it's becoming Bipartisan Politics.  A lot of fans don't want to express their opinions openly, because if it doesn't match that of the herd, discussions will turn into posts of people just high-fiving each other for being smarter than others.

• Like 2

Can I just say that maybe, just maybe, having a starting point of calling all new players shite is possibly a good one. If they are proven to be shite - you're right. If they prove to be good - you can happily eat humble pie and enjoy watching them play. Win win situation 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Pimlico_Villa said:

Actually quite annoyed with this window. I know January is difficult, but we needed to bring in players that are going to be relevant next season - i.e. use rest of this season to gel and hit the ground running next. 

I can stomach the capitulation of this season if it was clear we were building for next, but the players we’ve brought in - and, more importantly the fact that these are structured as loans without immediate right to buy - is ludicrous. 

Just looks like we are paying other teams to rehabilitate/improve their injured players with no obvious tangible value to us. As it stands, we’re staring at another Summer rebuild. 

Carroll looks small and lightweight, when we need a big, strong authoritarian midfielder who can own a game and dictate play.

Feels like more stupidity from yet another regime. What did we ever do wrong to deserve this!

How do you suggest w epay for these player? Shirt buttons? 

Our preferred option(s) for DM & LB weren’t available for whatever reason therefore we’ve waited until the summer.. It sounds like a very wise business decision to me and hopefully the start of new era of compentancy. We’ve identified players and the ones we’ve signed we’ve got on a try before you buy basis. So if good we keep if shit we say goodbye ... Rather than throw money at the problem with little long term planning I can see a plan is actually there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've started feeling like this is a mix of Karma from people who were in love with Bruce and some of us being critical when he was in charge.

This. There's been tons of signings that have come with massive hype and expectation and a big name and they've almost always ended up being awful. A few lower profile signings may prove to be better? At worst case we should see how they actually perform before casting judgement. 

I mean I'm pretty underwhelmed by our January transfers, but I was excited by the likes of Hogan, Lansbury, Bree etc last year and look how they turned out. Being unsure, or underwhelmed is fine, labelling it a disgrace etc before any of these players have even kicked a ball for us is ludicrous. 

I mean before January started we pretty much all agreed that our squad was hugely imbalanced and top heavy, we had no fit CB, with a common complaint being "Chester playing on the left side is hugely detrimental", a calamity of a goalkeeper and our defensive midfield options were Whelan, Jedinak (injured) or Thor, with a manager who wants them to be a quarterback pinging passes around and dictating the tempo. We've addressed all these issues, we now have 4 CB, 2 right sided and 2 left sided (one of whom is also a competent LB giving us 2 options there as well), with Axel still to return, a new keeper and a new DM who can actually play football in Smith's system. 

While the window was underwhelming we've addressed our weakest areas without a huge financial outlay, so sure it could have been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse as well and there are definately reasons to be positive 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Our preferred option(s) for DM & LB weren’t available for whatever reason therefore we’ve waited until the summer.. It sounds like a very wise business decision to me and hopefully the start of new era of compentancy. We’ve identified players and the ones we’ve signed we’ve got on a try before you buy basis. So if good we keep if shit we say goodbye ... Rather than throw money at the problem with little long term planning I can see a plan is actually there. 

Yeah i just hope they also stick with smith, we need proper continuity and a plan.

Sure they will ofc. (Hope)

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I don't think anything we did in this window would make me as happy as I'm going to be in the summer when so many of our shit overpaid squad players will be leaving.

a couple of more months mate, a couple of more months...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villarocker said:

Personally, I'm a bit of a gambler so like to try to guess how a player will turn out before they play for us. And, I'm probably wrong more often than right :bang:

On that basis, give ‘em hell!

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

...then you have supporters on here like you, who think that anyone who doesn't back 100% of every decision being made at the club isn't "tuned into the reality" of the situation where the club is at right now.  Some of you need to get off your high horses and actually read the posts you're slagging off before typing your stock "get with the program" responses.  Screwdriver & I were discussing the fact that we dodged a bullet by not signing Fer and are puzzled by the fact that most of our supporters are blindly rating Fer, because he had one good game against us, but ~5 years of declining performances in the Premier League...  You spun this into the response above.  Just because I think that signing a 29 year old, overrated player on big wages for 3-5 years isn't in our best interests, doesn't mean I have "unrealistic expectations" and am bitching about "how low we've fallen".

Maybe we're all just dick heads.

• Like 1