Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Be interesting what we do for the final formation wise anyway.

Our back 3 has generally worked very well so far and against some decent teams but Man. City utterly demolished it.

I remember last year in the final everyone thought Sarri would just play his usual system but he actually played without a striker and put Hazard in as a false 9 and Chelsea comfortably got to penalties.

Previous season Arsenal played their usual way and Man. City got an easy 3-0. Less said about Watford's attempt...

Grealish as a false 9 and try to flood the midfield perhaps and hope we can hold out for a while?

City hadn’t created anything against us until Mahrez just ran through everyone and scored a cheap goal. Then for the second another mistake not to put it out and it’s 2-0.  We massively missed Nakamba getting around the pitch in the game. Drinkwater playing was a big mistake. The players just didn’t seem at it.

Against city you have to just accept you won’t have the ball all game and frustrate them. Longer game goes on eventually you’ll get a chance on the break. Both Newcastle and Palace manage its and we’re just as good as both of them teams. 

100% concentration all game and you never know.  

• Like 3

On 27/01/2020 at 18:39, Vive_La_Villa said:

And some people continue to reply to trolls which means people that have blocked said trolls end up seeing their posts.  Our new system is working better than 4-3-3 and anyone that is not on the wind up can see that. 

This, 343 suits the players we have, Targett and Guilbert aren't very good at defending (especially so Targett) but both are very good going forward having 3 at the back helps us exploit that. 

Oh and on a side note please can we stop doing these late goals they are fun but I'm getting on a bit and my body can't cope with the crazy celebrations they bring 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Need to get these players in by Friday deano, nows the best chance of doing it.

What players? There's not much movement in the January window. 

Also for the nth time Dean is the head coach. He doesn't make signings only gives input

Just now, zab6359 said:

Let's hope he is true to his word and his team's do finish the season stronger, our fitness does seem to have really improved lately.

If you look at our appearance stats he has rotated the squad extremely well, where possible. Besides John McGinn I wouldn’t say any of our players have been pushed beyond capacity, so it’s hard to see this group fading.

“The Smith Surge” is a real thing (I posted earlier in this thread that his last 4 seasons as a manager have all had promotion-quality form in the last 10 games).

Actually I’m trademarking the Smith Surge (TM). Remember this post. It is happening.

#SmithSurge #ProwdDesiple

• Like 2

Brendan Rodgers frustrated by 'definite penalty' not given against Aston Villa
"I thought we had a clear handball that looked a definite penalty," he told Sky Sports. "So I am absolutely gutted for my players because they put so much into the game.

"Especially coming from behind and playing with that composure, scoring a very good goal, and by the end of the game there looked like only one team who were going to win it.

yes Brendan, Aston Villa...

10 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Brendan Rodgers frustrated by 'definite penalty' not given against Aston Villa
"I thought we had a clear handball that looked a definite penalty," he told Sky Sports. "So I am absolutely gutted for my players because they put so much into the game.

"Especially coming from behind and playing with that composure, scoring a very good goal, and by the end of the game there looked like only one team who were going to win it.

yes Brendan, Aston Villa...

I get why everyone is saying it’s a penalty but when you jump and turn your back your leaning arm naturally goes up with momentum. To keep it the side of you and jump whilst turning is what would be an unnatural position. Basically you wouldn’t be able to jump. 

I know many won’t agree but I think no penalty was the right call. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

City hadn’t created anything against us until Mahrez just ran through everyone and scored a cheap goal. Then for the second another mistake not to put it out and it’s 2-0.  We massively missed Nakamba getting around the pitch in the game. Drinkwater playing was a big mistake. The players just didn’t seem at it.

Against city you have to just accept you won’t have the ball all game and frustrate them. Longer game goes on eventually you’ll get a chance on the break. Both Newcastle and Palace manage its and we’re just as good as both of them teams. 

100% concentration all game and you never know.  

It was 0-0 but Man. City were still having shots and playing the game in our half so damaged limitation until they scored and repeat until it got to 3-0 and then we just didn't have a clue and wanted the final whistle. I agree about Drinkwater. Gulibert also didn't start that game so that's another selection to give us a bit more in the final third.

I thought we played o.k up there so that's the sort of performance I'd like to see.

Think the best bet with Real Madrid game is they leave likes of De Bruyne and Aguero on the bench.

To really trouble them you need a ridiculously pacy player in the final third, look at the damage Adama caused them in the two games this season. Gabby on a diet for the next month anyone...:ph34r:

• Like 1

What a man, two Wembley appearances in less than 12 months. He’s done wonders with this team, we and us are all learning. Think we’ll improve even more under him, he said himself his teams get better when the season goes along. Hopefully keeps us up and we can see what he can do when keeping a stabile team together 

• Like 1

I'm so desperate to stay up to see what we can build with these players. 

If we can get 17th this year we have such a good chance to progress even more next year. 

A bit of luck with injuries and you'd hope we have enough. 

• Like 2

Â