Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Wait... some of you wanted him sacked in January? Get out, that can't be true?

I know it was rough but there were a lot of mitigating factors, also we had surely shown enough early doors to earn him time? I feel like my decision to stay away is vindicated. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know it was rough but there were a lot of mitigating factors, also we had surely shown enough early doors to earn him time? I feel like my decision to stay away is vindicated. 

Yes we have some bonkers people on here. I said Hause could go back to Wolves early on, just shows what I know. I have something in common with Deano but it ain't coaching 

I didn't question Smith or any of the choices made by the Three during the season gone. I stuck by him in every way because I knew things needed to change and we had to start placing our trust in soneone. I felt like Smith was that man, that even when things went bad that somehow, someway Smith and co would pull us through.

I never expected promotion, in fact I thought play offs were off, if it had of been I'd of still stuck by Smith. Plans were put in place for next season and Smith and the team were just getting started, I felt they deserved a season or two and push for promotion that way.

Edit/ in fact there's one thing I did question, the kalanic transfer. I knew we were kind of desperate for a keeper but 7 million for a handful of appearances is alot, I think it was money wasted as he won't likely appear now we're in the premier. 

UTV..

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Dark and ridiculous times. If it wasn't for " Off Topic", I would have given Villa Talk the flick.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This thread was absolutely awful in January/February, seriously. "He's a midtable manager" was repeated ad nauseum.

• Like 1

A modern coach with an evolving but always attack minded philosophy and the coaching ability to implement it.

I love him. I love the way the club is now run. 

Our players seem to be getting better at the style of play and also becoming better footballers too. 

I also think he will take confidence in having played Bielsa last season. For Smith he has already played against a world class manager several times this past year. Facing the murderers row of the best managers in the world ready to beat you with better players oh and its your first season in a top league could be pretty daunting.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

The job's too big for him!!

Yeah ok!! 😁😁😁

I think he will thrive and grow in The Premier League.  I'm just drooling over the prospect of which players arrive and what can be achieved with their development over the years...kinda like an Ajax or Dortmund model.

Edited by New_Hope
  • Like 1

Fairly good tactical analysis of the Derby game here.

Think you see how DS's expansive style causes opposition managers problems, even though it's fairly predictable. Lampard clearly wanted to plug the middle to contain McGinn and Grealish, but if you try to nullify any of our threats, we always have other options, because everyone is encouraged to get involved in the build-up play.

A lot of people saying Lampard should have exploited our weaknesses at full back, but I wonder if a wider shape would have allowed Grealish a lot more space. Amazing to have these options!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It did get pretty bad in here. Real sense of deja vu of the first big drop off in form/results under Bruce, at more or less the same point in their Villa careers which at time didn’t make me feel any better.

On Monday my fellow Villa mate was taking great joy in reading out some of my more.....reactionary WhatsApp messages during that bad spell. They weren’t really that bad, no “Smith Out” messages, more raising concerns I had. But it was certainly more frustrated in tone than anything I had posted on here during that run. 

I didn’t want him gone but like a few on here I wanted to see something in the final third of the season to reassure me that he was the right man for the job for the following season.

Just FYI in case you were wondering, all things considered, the last third of the season has provided those reassurances I was after ;)

On 30/05/2019 at 01:51, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Some? There were **** loads of them!

Edited by romavillan

Some play off final celebration scenes:

Smith doing a bit of singing along is ace.. Looks like whelen just wet himself at the camera man 🤣

Bit of sky sports football chat:

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2019 at 12:41, PompeyVillan said:

What striking about that interview, is the interview itself. Not often you will see a chief executive sit down with a manager and do a joint interview. I think it shows a massive show of faith in Smith and also shows that they trust each other enough to give the same message across in an interview regarding the future of the club. 

Striking part for me was that neither used any shitty cliches normally associated with these interviews. Was sensible intelligent talk

Suppose one good thing about him being local lad is that media will keep us under the radar. If he or Wilder had a more exotic name the media be advertising them for every job about which pits more pressure om squad. Bielsa for example got more praise from more people this season than Wilder 

Bit of a rare glimpse into a dressing room - maybe it's a brummie thing but the communication is down to earth, heart felt, and you can see is mesmerising - haven't a clue what it takes, but when DS is speaking, everyone else is silent - they bloody love him. 

• Like 1

On 16/02/2019 at 19:39, screwdriver said:

Smith should do us all a favour by doing a "steve coppell" and resigning tonight.

We should then put the feelers out for Arsene Wenger and if he don't want it blow big sam out of the water.

A new manager bounce might just take us to the play offs.

This was my favourite.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jareth said:

Bit of a rare glimpse into a dressing room - maybe it's a brummie thing but the communication is down to earth, heart felt, and you can see is mesmerising - haven't a clue what it takes, but when DS is speaking, everyone else is silent - they bloody love him. 

The way the players chanted his name at the end says it all really - they are as one. There's a lot of love and respect in that whole set-up and it fills me with pride and promise for the future of our club. 

• Like 3

I reckon a new manager bounce is just what we need to kick off the season in style.....then another new manager bounce in Oct, Jan, March and hey presto, champions!!

Â