Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Great chance for him to build something here at the club he supports. Get this right and there's no telling where this adventure could end. 

We went for an Arsenal man, a Chelsea man and ended up with a Villa man. I'm happy. 

• Like 1

Happy with this- felt like we needed an attacking coach and we have one. Ive read that brentford article and dont really see the problem. He wont be buying players, we all know the style of football we want and what we need is someone to execute it. 

Plus hes from the area and has proved himself at champ level. If we're giving anyone a shot at stepping up a level why not him?

Welcome Dean!

with the speed this was done and that he was in a job, reckon he was the only real name on the list. Not necessarily the biggest name on the list but definitely has a lot of credintials. My only concern is whether he has the ability to handle the pressure. If he can, he will be just fine!

Pleased Terry is back also - will give the players a damn good hiding again for all the mistakes they make! 

Dean Smith will be bringing his own staff too.

I believe that would be Richard O Kelly as his 2nd assistant head coach as well as a few others.

The compensation package must include some additional members of staff.

Brentford have mentioned that they will make a further announcement on their first team football structure.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Great Barr boy in charge of the Villa. He's got that going for him at least.

The statement welcomes him and his staff which will be interesting. 

Terry's role will be important too I feel.

Let's see.

I thought the same. 

Very pleased with this. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Really happy for DS - boyhood Villa fan gets to manage the club, at a point in his management career where he is truly capable of excelling into something special. It is fate, and I am sure he will not let us down. Plus he has the third richest owners in English football behind him. I see good things ahead. Feels right. 

I actually think this appointment means - that the 3rd richest owners either can not or will not be bankrolling a manager - at least not in the short term

• Confused 2

Yes.  I don't get this repeated refrain that because Brentford have a very specific setup to deal with various things that have traditionally been lumped into the role of "manager", he can only cope in such a system.

It seems patronising, as well as unlikely.  It's as though people think he's never seen another model of organisation, and will fail to adapt.  If we adopted that mindset in other fields, there would be very little job mobility.

Absolutely and well said @peterms

Concerns over his suitability to the Villa role and ability to operate outside of Brentford's framework is guesswork at best.

Did Cortese's influence at Southampton undermine the work that Pochettino put in? No. They complemented each other. Pochettino went on to enjoy success at Spurs.

Welcome to the club Dean! I hope it's a rewarding move for you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Henry who has never managed before ? Rodgers who manages a semi-pro team in a bush league ?

No. The Rodgers I'm thinking about managed Liverpool. Rui Faria has been extensively praised by and worked closely alongside Jose Mourinho, a man who's got 2 Champions Leagues with spells coaching at Barca and managing Real Madrid, Man Utd and Inter Milan.

As for managing a semi-pro team in a bush league, who's Dean Smith been managing recently? And where did he manage before?

Walsall.

Interesting appointment. Wasn't my first choice (Lambert was a similarly attack-minded up and coming manager and look what happened there) but it's good that we appear to be putting a structure in place. Really pleased about Terry being involved as well.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I actually think this appointment means - that the 3rd richest owners either can not or will not be bankrolling a manager - at least not in the short term

And it will be their second big call which they called right. Also, they needn't bankroll him, they have bankrolled the squad - DS's first job will be to craft this talented squad into a team. 

• Like 2

Pleased with this. He’s served his time. Now ready for a really big club. His teams always play attractive attacking football.  May take time for his methods to deliver, but after the garbage that Bruce served us , I’m feeling optimistic again.?

• Like 3

Â