Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Must confess to being underwhelmed, given the names previously linked.

Perhaps the owners tried to bring in bigger names and couldn't attract them?

Don't mean to rain on parades, but I would prefer someone with a bigger profile. This is a big club with expectations that are commensurately difficult to manage. I think this job is too big for him.

But I very much hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

As a Villa fan (plus the size of this club anyway) there's no way he'd turn this opportunity down. He has absolutely, the right philosophy, he knows the right way to play football, which is built on ball retention, movement and a high press. Done a brilliant job on a shoestring at Brentford but this is a massive step up and we'll need to make sure we get a lot of his backroom staff in.

Must bring O'kelly with him though. Vastly underrated coach. You see the Brentford statement ? Interesting wording. Thomas Frank will take training tomorrow.  O'kelly not involved.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Must confess to being underwhelmed, given the names previously linked.

Perhaps the owners tried to bring in bigger names and couldn't attract them?

Don't mean to rain on parades, but I would prefer someone with a bigger profile. This is a big club with expectations that are commensurately difficult to manage. I think this job is too big for him.

But I very much hope I'm wrong.

Henry who has never managed before ? Rodgers who manages a semi-pro team in a bush league ?

• Like 1

Hope Dean smiths no 2 at Walsall  & brenfford comes as well - otherwise it looks a bit of botch job.

Not blown away - but I think this appointment might come into its own in the slightly longer term - if we can't keep paying big fees for players

Happy enough with this.

One word of caution, Dean is a bit of a slow burner. Takes a while for his methods to really click into place at Walsall and Brentford. Yes better players here but they need to be organised and coached. He will do that but needs time.

I think our rest of the season will probably be similar to when SB came in. Next season is when I really expect us to look good providing FFP dosen't cripple us.

I would imagine Richard O'Kelly will be coming in to join the staff. Dean's number 2 at Walsall and Brentford. Used to manage Hereford.

• Like 1

Â