Dean Smith

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

With all due respect mate.

I can't think of any " group of angry fans who never wanted Smith and so didn't enjoy 2/3 of the best seasons in 20 years  " outside of a miniscule number of fans on the likes of VT and Villa Facebook groups.

I also reckon most fans who " never wanted Deano in the first place " never wanted him, for the same reasons some of you claim to not want Gerrard, ironically enough ( Top tier experience, pedigree etc ). However, we all grew to love him, especially as a Villa fan and one of our own.

I'm also certain that 99.99 percent of Villa fans appreciated what Deano did for us and have absolutely no problem with this banner and gesture. Especially since we all spoke about this here, and on other social media outlets and pretty much universally agreed we want to see him get this reception?

On the flip side, it seems the fans who " never wanted Deano gone " are the actual " angrier set of fans ". Just like how you bizarelly used the above post, to flip it into a dig at anyone not wanting to hound Gerrard out after half a season,  because " we don't like him " and he took " Our boys " job 🤦🏿

I am sorry I cant agree, is a element of Villa fans that were anti Smith from the start because Bruce was doing a great job allegedly. 

Ironically they are now Stevie Me biggest fans. People that just like the big name aura

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am sorry I cant agree, is a element of Villa fans that were anti Smith from the start because Bruce was doing a great job allegedly. 

Ironically they are now Stevie Me biggest fans. People that just like the big name aura

I hope you can find a place.in your heart, to spot the intense irony in this mate. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's more like human nature and the sunk costs fallacy. Here's what happens:

Fans never agree on anything, so some people like Manager A and other fans don't. When results take a turn for the worse, some of Manager A's backers get fed up, but others don't, and they do things like blame players, blame ownership, reminisce about the good times etc. Meanwhile the fans who don't like him get mad. Then the club sacks him, and appoints someone else. Now, Manager A's defenders have spent ages defending Manager A on the internet, so - because everybody wants to be right on the internet - they look for faults in Manager B. For Manager A's critics, it's the reverse process. Then, Manager B gets sacked, and everyone flips roles again.

The result is a sort of dual sine wave pattern to fan sentiment. Here ends my Ted talk.

Indeed. Some of us also enjoyed and defended Manager A's tenure whilst also being open to Manager B's tenure. Then we have the eternal pessimists...

23 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Not surprised it's drawing criticism.

There's a group of really angry fans that never wanted Smith and so didn't enjoy 2/3 of the best seasons in 20 years. Pride wouldn't allow them to for some reason.

They're my favourite weirdos.

Funnily enough they nearly all now think Gerrard is brilliant despite minimal to no evidence.

Thought this was a very on point post until the last sentance.

I doubt there are many who think Stevie G is "brilliant" right now. He's doing about just as good/bad as Deano was over the same amount of games as I believe @useless among a few has pointed out.

I think the real issue is that some fans just make up their minds immediately and then stick to their guns like their lives depend on it. Regardless of which side of the coin they're on so to speak.

Personally I was a bit indifferent at first to Deano, but I loved his time for us and will only remember it fondly. He was massive for us, but not without his own faults (good and bad runs a plenty).

I also thought that Gerrard had a lot of potential initially when he was rumoured and still think this is the case even though the start has been rocky. I'm willing to give him a pre-season and some funding to see where we can go. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't. I'm not going to give credit to those saying "I told you so mate!" or discredit myself for having that belief. Time will tell and I'm willing to give him that time. This isn't an exact science as we've seen coaches over-perform and coaches under-perform at different clubs over different seasons.

Patience and humility might be the keywords I'm going for here...

edit: As for the banner, I fully support it. Deano's one of our own.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

On 27/04/2022 at 13:20, Talldarkandransome said:

The banner is fine with me, doesn't disrespect SG in any way. Its the same as Liverpool fans applauding SG when he returned. 

Deano worked wonders getting us back to PL and that should be re recognised 

Exactly this.

• Like 1

Why are reporters such clearings in the woods? They are asking him extremely awkward questions.

About how Gerrard has done, and about how he sets up the team etc 

If he's still dissappointed about leaving and so on.

Luckily Deano doesn't entertain the foolishness, and rightly says he has no interest in commenting on who has taken the job up after he was sacked etc. as it wouldn't be right.

Obviously he is still a bit bitter and anyone would be.

Video clip:

https://www.facebook.com/100000473462841/posts/7991226950903008/

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

35 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Nothing but respect for Deano tonight please...

Hope we stuff Norwich 5-0 but still give Deano some respect on the way.

If you boo him, you're a numptey

Sorry I do respect for what he did for us, but he was a numpty to take that Norwich job.

58 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Nothing but respect for Deano tonight please...

Hope we stuff Norwich 5-0 but still give Deano some respect on the way.

If you boo him, you're a numptey

Nobody will boo him. No animosity towards him from anybody. Sure, many wanted him replaced, but I’m sure he is respected by all Villa fans for what he achieved with us and for being one of our own. 

• Like 2

On 29/04/2022 at 12:32, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why are reporters such clearings in the woods? They are asking him extremely awkward questions.

About how Gerrard has done, and about how he sets up the team etc 

If he's still dissappointed about leaving and so on.

Luckily Deano doesn't entertain the foolishness, and rightly says he has no interest in commenting on who has taken the job up after he was sacked etc. as it wouldn't be right.

Obviously he is still a bit bitter and anyone would be.

Video clip:

https://www.facebook.com/100000473462841/posts/7991226950903008/

Scummy journos, never met a nice one

Â