Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

If they do they do if they don’t they don’t, they will be certainly the team whose result in that division I look for first after the blues. Whatever happens in his career I love you Deano, You reunited my family

I've generally always been o.k with Norwich as a club, decent fans and nice part of the world for an away trip but am finiding it boring them coming up every other year and generally making no impact on the prem so would rather teams come up who we haven't seen in a while like Forest and whoever's down there next season.

Think ideally I'd like Norwich to do well enough not for DS not to be in any danger to lose his job e.g. 3rd or 4th but probably lose in the play offs and let someone else come up.

It would have been very interesting if he had got his reported targets in the summer and kept Jack. Grealish - Buendia - Smith-Rowe. I wonder what might have been, It could have been all very different. However, I do think he has a limit as a club coach and he does make a few fair excuses when he doesn't win a game or a collection of games.

I appreciate what he achieved for Villa, and I am very glad he got a good reception. The whole circumstances around his tenure were very unique and special, nobody can say he didn't move the club forward. I personally think he would have suited a role like England u21 coach or returning to Brentford as Franks assistant in the short term. I am not totally convinced he will win them promotion next season.

Was nice seeing the Villa players and ex staff hug him after the game.

They obviously still have alot of love and respect for him.

I missed the start, did they do the banner as well?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Interesting to see though Tyrone didn’t give him a full hug it was a handshake and a pat on the arm type thing. Or am I overthinking it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Interesting to see though Tyrone didn’t give him a full hug it was a handshake and a pat on the arm type thing. Or am I overthinking it. 

I saw that as well 🤔.

I thought about it, but maybe it's because he was topless and didn't want to soil him up in his clean white shirt lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

If Dean Smith waited and took on the Everton job he’d have kept them up. 

I don't know. 

I think their squad is MASSIVELY overrated because it's Everton and they cost a lot of money. 

There are enormous problems there, they seem **** up to me, not convinced they are any better than where they are to be honest. 

Maybe he could have wrung a bit more out of them but I don't think so,  not even sure their players are capable of being helped. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I saw that as well 🤔.

I thought about it, but maybe it's because he was topless and didn't want to soil him up in his clean white shirt lol.

I actually think that's it to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I am sure Mings has said he felt guilty about Smith getting sacked as was the first manager he ever had that was sacked

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Great respect for the man.

Emotional day for him. Wasn't the manager to take us to the next level but put the club back on the map after it had been in a slump for nearly a decade and you've got to be grateful for that.

As for Gerrard, I remain far from convinced that he is the manager to take us to that next level either. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't know. 

I think their squad is MASSIVELY overrated because it's Everton and they cost a lot of money. 

There are enormous problems there, they seem **** up to me, not convinced they are any better than where they are to be honest. 

Maybe he could have wrung a bit more out of them but I don't think so,  not even sure their players are capable of being helped. 

Everton is deck chairs on the titanic 

Lampard is nearly as under the bus as Garde, their players aren't quite as bad as our clowns but they're definitley not playing for that club anymore 

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

yes but it was upside down 🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Think they'll do well to finish top 6 next season personally, they have the feel of West Brom coming down who everyone assumed would just go back up but really it was old team completely demotivated that needed to be broken up, Watford and Norwich I think are similar so don't think we'll see either get in premier league for a few seasons although of course I wish DS well and he does have a good record working with young players so would imagine that's the route Norwich will go for with loans etc.

Depends om what happens with the squad. If they can keep Rashica and Pukki they will be top 6 next season.

12 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Depends om what happens with the squad. If they can keep Rashica and Pukki they will be top 6 next season.

im not convinced. that looked a poor side yesterday. yes it's difficult when you know you're going down and barely 1500 fans have bothered to make the trip because they know the same, but that side looked dreadful.

personally, whilst i have nothing personal against norwich, i'm tired of seeing them come up, make zero attempt to stay up by way of investment, and go down. that's a space that could go to a forest or similar who you'd expect to make a real go of it

i feel for deano. i feel he needs a project and not sure he'll get that at norwich. if they manage to come back up, the outcome will be the same.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

im not convinced. that looked a poor side yesterday. yes it's difficult when you know you're going down and barely 1500 fans have bothered to make the trip because they know the same, but that side looked dreadful.

personally, whilst i have nothing personal against norwich, i'm tired of seeing them come up, make zero attempt to stay up by way of investment, and go down. that's a space that could go to a forest or similar who you'd expect to make a real go of it

i feel for deano. i feel he needs a project and not sure he'll get that at norwich. if they manage to come back up, the outcome will be the same.

Top Championship and bottom PL are quite poor overall. Totally agree with the zero attempt to stay up argument but there is more clubs in that bracket I feel. The difference in quality between the leagues grows every year. Mitrovic for example won't score many goals in PL next season.

46 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Last time they went down they had Buendia and also Todd Cantwell so miles more creativity than looking at them yesterday where someone like Kieran Dowell was just a ghost for the whole game.

Thought that was a DS side at its worst yesterday, just passing the ball around endlessly with no end product whatsoever, we had a few of those games under him in early 2021 and other seasons so completely agree with what Danny Murphy said about them needing to find some sort of identity as they certainly don't have it at prem level.

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

That's not really true of this season though. They spent something like £60m, which was something like 6th highest in the league. It's true that last time they came up, they really didn't spend anything, and Webber did the whole 'I sent Farke to war without a gun' mea culpa, but this time they did spend money, and that's why Farke was sacked for not getting any results.

The problem was not not spending money really, it is what they spent money on, which was mostly guys who had shown promise in weaker European leagues but not in England. I think it would be fair to argue that they 'spent badly' (though how possible was it really for them to 'spend well'?), but I don't think it's true to say that they made 'zero attempt to stay up by way of investment'.

Edited by HanoiVillan

40 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's not really true of this season though. They spent something like £60m, which was something like 6th highest in the league. It's true that last time they came up, they really didn't spend anything, and Webber did the whole 'I sent Farke to war without a gun' mea culpa, but this time they did spend money, and that's why Farke was sacked for not getting any results.

The problem was not not spending money really, it is what they spent money on, which was mostly guys who had shown promise in weaker European leagues but not in England. I think it would be fair to argue that they 'spent badly' (though how possible was it really for them to 'spend well'?), but I don't think it's true to say that they made 'zero attempt to stay up by way of investment'.

MOTD showed the list and it's laughable....nearly 10m on some greek guy who's barely started a game. 8m on Ben Gibson....given he's late 20s and not very good it makes you wonder why they never consider a Gary Cahill type on a 12 month deal just to give them some prem leadership at the back given he was fine for Palace in that role.

Rashica and Gilmour and Brandon Williams on loan were at least fairly logical signings at least but none of them made much impact at all.

Â