Dean Smith

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Sad day for him being relegated at Villa Park. However, I’ve no doubt he’ll bring them straight back up. Class man.

Honestly? I'm not so sure. I'm glad we gave him a good reception and he did a brilliant job with us but I have doubts. They'll be in the race though for sure.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Had a bit of grit it my eyes at that point

Me too. Classy bloke. 

It was also noticeable that every Villa player gave him a big hug at the end, lots of love for the bloke. 

On 28/04/2022 at 12:15, osmark86 said:

I doubt there are many who think Stevie G is "brilliant" right now. He's doing about just as good/bad as Deano was over the same amount of games as I believe @useless among a few has pointed out.

We'll have to disagree on this then. I think (exclusively) the special ones who are embarrassed to have been wrong about Smith are delighted he's gone and were always going to overrate and hyperbolize whoever replaced him. It's not a 'Steven Gerrard' thing.

On 28/04/2022 at 12:15, osmark86 said:

I think the real issue is that some fans just make up their minds immediately and then stick to their guns like their lives depend on it. Regardless of which side of the coin they're on so to speak.

Plenty of this about everywhere these days. Loads of cutting off noses and spiting of faces. It's how we ended up out of the EU and with this government getting away with lying constantly.

I look forward to becoming a fan of Gerrard as manager if some more evidence appears he can do the job well. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Great respect for the man.

In some ways it's a shame he took the Norwich job, but I'm glad we got to play him and close the chapter this season, he deserved a proper sendoff. 

• Like 1

Love Deano, his time at Villa was great. The Dean and Jack show, brilliant times as a fan. 

Always be grateful for what he did here. 

Still remain baffled why he chose Norwich though. 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

My problem with Gerrard is still Dean Smith 

Such a great point. You’re not just replacing a Villa fan, your replacing a great bloke that took a mid table championship team and took it back to where it belongs. The next bloke almost has to overachieve to be thought of in the same light. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Love Deano, his time at Villa was great. The Dean and Jack show, brilliant times as a fan. 

Always be grateful for what he did here. 

Still remain baffled why he chose Norwich though. 

Not sure about the last sentence mate. Yes they were doomed, but they seem like a well run club that will be amongst the favourites to come back up, and if he achieves that he will have two promotions on his CV. 

Unless of course you think he could/should have held out for a PL gig. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure about the last sentence mate. Yes they were doomed, but they seem like a well run club that will be amongst the favourites to come back up, and if he achieves that he will have two promotions on his CV. 

Unless of course you think he could/should have held out for a PL gig. 

Norwich isn't a bad job and Norfolk is a great place, but it was like he took the first job after he was sacked bu us. If I was him I'd have sat it out for the season. Recharged my batteries. See what else came up. Norwich are never going to have the resources to stay in the premier league or progress. 

I wonder if he had passed on the job, whether he would have been interested in the baggies job when it came available?

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

I wonder if he had passed on the job, whether he would have been interested in the baggies job when it came available?

I think that’s my point to be honest mate. Unless you think he could have got a PL gig with a stable club, you’re looking at the likes baggies, and other good championship clubs, but are any of them a better gig than Norwich? 

Even putting aside the local rivalry aspect, I think Norwich is a better gig than baggies 

On 27/04/2022 at 19:58, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I also reckon most fans who " never wanted Deano in the first place " never wanted him, for the same reasons some of you claim to not want Gerrard, ironically enough ( Top tier experience, pedigree etc ). However, we all grew to love him, especially as a Villa fan and one of our own.

Fair comment.

I will react to what I see on the pitch. IMO, thus far we have underperformed drastically. If Gerrard can give us three seasons like Deano...wowee.

We are going to get better next season because of the money we'll be spending. I would like to see some general improvement in coaching and on pitch organisation as well.

On 27/04/2022 at 19:58, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On the flip side, it seems the fans who " never wanted Deano gone " are the actual " angrier set of fans ". Just like how you bizarrely used the above post, to flip it into a dig at anyone not wanting to hound Gerrard out after half a season,  because " we don't like him " and he took " Our boys " job 🤦🏿

I'll have to disagree.

The time had come for Smith to move on when he did IMO. Not getting an upgrade and instead gambling on Purslow's favourite player was my issue.

Chucking away the connection Smith had with the squad wasn't worth it for getting in Gerrard IMO.

I think funds of £400-500m across the next five or so windows would have been incredibly attractive to a hell of a lot of managers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Fair comment.

I will react to what I see on the pitch. IMO, thus far we have underperformed drastically. If Gerrard can give us three seasons like Deano...wowee.

We are going to get better next season because of the money we'll be spending. I would like to see some general improvement in coaching and on pitch organisation as well.

I'll have to disagree.

The time had come for Smith to move on when he did IMO. Not getting an upgrade and instead gambling on Purslow's favourite player was my issue.

Chucking away the connection Smith had with the squad wasn't worth it for getting in Gerrard IMO.

I think funds of £400-500m across the next five or so windows would have been incredibly attractive to a hell of a lot of managers.

Fair play mate.

On a side note, just watched his post match interview.

I feel kinda bad.

Think they'll do well to finish top 6 next season personally, they have the feel of West Brom coming down who everyone assumed would just go back up but really it was old team completely demotivated that needed to be broken up, Watford and Norwich I think are similar so don't think we'll see either get in premier league for a few seasons although of course I wish DS well and he does have a good record working with young players so would imagine that's the route Norwich will go for with loans etc.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Norwich isn't a bad job and Norfolk is a great place, but it was like he took the first job after he was sacked bu us. If I was him I'd have sat it out for the season. Recharged my batteries. See what else came up. Norwich are never going to have the resources to stay in the premier league or progress. 

Yeah he'd likely have been in contention for jobs at Stoke, West Brom, QPR and Blackburn if he'd sat this season out (as can see a few of of those changing manager this summer). Perhaps Burnley would've come in for him if he'd been available so really it's trying to rebuild team while still a prem club....or rebuilding one in championship.

I wish him well next season but certainly don't see Norwich running away with the league at all.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah he'd likely have been in contention for jobs at Stoke, West Brom, QPR and Blackburn if he'd sat this season out (as can see a few of of those changing manager this summer). Perhaps Burnley would've come in for him if he'd been available so really it's trying to rebuild team while still a prem club....or rebuilding one in championship.

I wish him well next season but certainly don't see Norwich running away with the league at all.

If they do they do if they don’t they don’t, they will be certainly the team whose result in that division I look for first after the blues. Whatever happens in his career I love you Deano, You reunited my family

• Like 1

Â