Dean Smith

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

MOTD showed the list and it's laughable....nearly 10m on some greek guy who's barely started a game. 8m on Ben Gibson....given he's late 20s and not very good it makes you wonder why they never consider a Gary Cahill type on a 12 month deal just to give them some prem leadership at the back given he was fine for Palace in that role.

Rashica and Gilmour and Brandon Williams on loan were at least fairly logical signings at least but none of them made much impact at all.

They just had too much to do. They were basically in the same position we were in when we came up, but in this analogy it would be like if we had sold Grealish that summer. Buendia was comfortably their best player, but he was ready to go, and Skipp was their second best but Spurs didn't want him to go out again. Gilmour must have seemed like a good replacement for Skipp but he doesn't do much.

I don't really agree with those saying he was daft to take the Norwich job.

He had an outside chance of keeping them up, although it was a tough ask. And assuming they don't sack him he'll have one of the best clubs in the championship and a full season to bring them back up. 

It's not a bad gig

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He had an outside chance of keeping them up, although it was a tough ask. And assuming they don't sack him he'll have one of the best clubs in the championship and a full season to bring them back up. 

It's not a bad gig

Plus you can get pissed with Delia, and she might even make you a cake. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not a bad gig

Absolutely. You don't turn down a Premier league job if you're Dean Smith. 

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

MOTD showed the list and it's laughable....nearly 10m on some greek guy who's barely started a game. 8m on Ben Gibson....given he's late 20s and not very good it makes you wonder why they never consider a Gary Cahill type on a 12 month deal just to give them some prem leadership at the back given he was fine for Palace in that role.

Rashica and Gilmour and Brandon Williams on loan were at least fairly logical signings at least but none of them made much impact at all.

We know how difficult it is to build a Premier League out of £8m signing and loans.

It's difficult enough if each signing is £20m, let alone half the cost of that.

Class to see all our squad give him hugs....you can tell he's a real players manager despite some of his flaws. Not sure if I've ever read a player he's managed actually criticise him for things he said or way he managed the group and you can see the respect in the reactions as they walked past him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PaulC said:

He really hasnt done very well there hss he. Wonder if they will stick with him.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they sack him.

4 minutes ago, jim said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they sack him.

Norwich season come down to two moments.

They had a nice little run when we first came in but I said at the time them playing poorly and not beating a Newcastle team that played pretty much all the game with 10 men would cost them. They lost 5-6 straight after while Newcastle soon picked up.

Then they were 2-2 at Man. United and the better team with chances to win but lost and since then they've been getting hammered again.

Can't see DS being in any danger of losing his job unless they're mid table at xmas.

He will have had 27 games in charge. Has he done enough in that time? Hmmm I’m not sure.

Their style has been the boring defensive hoofball he reverted to at VP that cost him his job. They really are hopeless as it stands and it’s not like he’s come in at the arse end of the season, he’s had nearly 75% of the season. Loads more than others get. 

I do hope they keep him but I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept him or sacked him tbh. 

• Like 1

I didn't think they would sack him, but the way they've completely thrown the towel in after their game against us (and pretty much in that one too, really) isn't promising. His single saving grace might be the truncated off season.

Worth remembering in the lockdown season they weren't far too us when it was stopped. They then came back and lost the last 7/8 but kept Farke. That was with Buendia and Cantwell.

DS obviously needs a good start to the season though otherwise he will be under significant pressure.

If they lose their final two games which could happen given they play Wolves away and Spurs at home, then it will have meant they will have lost thirteen of their last fifteen games. I think at most clubs that would result in a sacking, but Norwich are unsually pragmatic, and can see them keeping Smith on the basis that he did a good job the last time he was in the championship.

56 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Worth remembering in the lockdown season they weren't far too us when it was stopped. They then came back and lost the last 7/8 but kept Farke. That was with Buendia and Cantwell.

DS obviously needs a good start to the season though otherwise he will be under significant pressure.

Cantwell was a shit player, not sure who he plays for now. He had that one game vs City that made him a star but truth is he is crap. Trezeguet or Anwar are better players

10 minutes ago, useless said:

If they lose their final two games which could happen given they play Wolves away and Spurs at home, then it will have meant they will have lost thirteen of their last fifteen games. I think at most clubs that would result in a sacking, but Norwich are unsually pragmatic, and can see them keeping Smith on the basis that he did a good job the last time he was in the championship.

what are Norwich expecting? Smith took them out of the relegation zone in January and they gave him nothing when they desperately needed a defender

Baker and Clark on the worst day is better than Grant Hanley who is the Norwich captain

Â