Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Norwich season come down to two moments.

They had a nice little run when we first came in but I said at the time them playing poorly and not beating a Newcastle team that played pretty much all the game with 10 men would cost them. They lost 5-6 straight after while Newcastle soon picked up.

Then they were 2-2 at Man. United and the better team with chances to win but lost and since then they've been getting hammered again.

Can't see DS being in any danger of losing his job unless they're mid table at xmas.

Id say the worst one was that leeds loss. They never should have lost that game

20 hours ago, Zatman said:

Cantwell was a shit player, not sure who he plays for now. He had that one game vs City that made him a star but truth is he is crap. Trezeguet or Anwar are better players

He still chipped in with a few goals when they came up, 6 by 1st Jan 2020 very decent haul for first season in prem.

No idea what's happened since, seems off field issues impacted on his football as he's been out of their side for long periods last 18 months.

Most Norwich fans from what I can see blame their board and Webber for their predicament, by their standards they spent quite a bit of money and were also able to bring in some highly rated youngsters on loan, but seems much of that money was wasted, especially that spent on attacking reinforcements, their top scorer in the league is Pukki with ten goals, their second top scorer is Sargent with two goals, other than those two no else has scored more than one goal.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 01:55, Zatman said:

Truth is Smith is the best Villa manager since Gregory, got us promoted, to a cup final. Our highest points total in over a decade and smashed the reigning champions and beat all the Sky 6 except City and I think we would have got a result except for Jon Moss tactics time

The people that have been negative against Smith are embarrassing and thought Bruce was a good manager :D 

A lot will disagree but I think Oneill was better as we were getitng regular top 6 finishes. I'm not convinced Smtih could have taken us to that level. 

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

A lot will disagree but I think Oneill was better as we were getitng regular top 6 finishes. I'm not convinced Smtih could have taken us to that level. 

I don’t think Smith would have us regularly in sixth place, but then what sixth is now is different to what sixth was back at the time of MON, if that makes sense.

Much, much harder to break into and establish yourselves in that top group these days. 

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah I can see why you were shot down.

Brentford who we played third game of the season?

And whose stadium is an hour from Watford, where the whole squad was?

What do you want him doing between 6pm and 10pm before the season starts? Sleeping? Talking to the team?

Terrible management? Ha.

I dunno. But because of the performance thats how it felt to me. Felt underprepared . But i never said disgrace or Deano out. Just felt like a **** up from the management on that occasion. 

The players would have been resting the evening before the game, doubtless after a day of training and otherwise preparing for the game, odd thing to complain about imo, but that performance was an absolute disgrace so I can understand trying to pick out causes

• 2 months later...

I do wonder if Smith will end up (ironically) being to Norwich what Lambert was to us. Sometimes it just works out for managers at one club (and it mostly did for Smith here) and then they just never get back into that groove anywhere else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I do wonder if Smith will end up (ironically) being to Norwich what Lambert was to us. Sometimes it just works out for managers at one club (and it mostly did for Smith here) and then they just never get back into that groove anywhere else.

He's done enough to have a few championship clubs continue to look at him even if it dosen't work out at Norwich. Likes of Stoke and West Brom would look at him if he's available the next time they have a vacancy.

Think Southampton would be a decent fit for him in prem but reality is he'll have to take a team up to get another chance in top flight.

Poor move for Smith, always said should have waited. He had money from a pay off he's never had before, there was plenty of time to chill and spend time with the family. He could have got a better prem job lower end of the table ofcourse.

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Poor move for Smith, always said should have waited. He had money from a pay off he's never had before, there was plenty of time to chill and spend time with the family. He could have got a better prem job lower end of the table ofcourse.

The sort of prem jobs that become available mid season are always bad.

This year's will be Everton, Bournemouth, Forest, Southampton.

Are any of those jobs you'd fancy him to do anything but get relegated with? At least Norwich have a track record of getting back up, it wasn't a poor move. That he's failing currently is on him and shouldn't be put on the club when they've previously walked the league.

He needs a win very soon. Millwall on Friday won't be easy at all and that has ominous feeling to me if he can't get 3 points.

I wish him well. Actually think he'd be a terrific fit for the Southampton job that will come up pretty soon but they likely won't consider him if he's just been sacked by a championship club.

Proper chump for taking on Norwich. Done himself out of some decent jobs.

Taking over a guy who had got them up twice with a side that was largely destined to lose a lot for the next sixth months.

Silly sausage.

• Like 2

Â