Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Was thinking today we'll do well to clear 45 points this season, which puts last season's 55 point haul into perspective. It was really good going from Deano with a weaker squad and Jack out for 1/3 of it. We were flirting with top 6 for most of it, and I'm convinced we'd have been there or thereabouts (no Bruce) had Jack stayed fit.

17 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Weird to think that last season saw us beat Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal (twice), Chelsea and Spurs…

Smith oversaw all of that - and deserves to be proud of that achievement considering he hasn’t any “Champions League” or “International” footballing pedigree…

We did need a change, but everything Deano did for us deserves thanks and appreciation… in my opinion anyway

Not just wins either, the Liverpool and Arsenal games were proper thrashings. Imagine thrashing the reigning champions by 5 goals. The stuff of legend.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Was thinking today we'll do well to clear 45 points this season, which puts last season's 55 point haul into perspective. It was really good going from Deano with a weaker squad and Jack out for 1/3 of it. We were flirting with top 6 for most of it, and I'm convinced we'd have been there or thereabouts (no Bruce) had Jack stayed fit.

But he doesn't have a fancy name for Purslow ego 

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In Championship when we were not an attractive team. Smith paid no money and got us promoted 

I respectfully disagree. It was a big rebuilding job but we were very attractive at that point with the new investment. Smith was hired for the job by Purslow and DS succeeded. It worked out. I do not buy the narrative that Purslow was out for Smith. Purslow was often Smith's biggest backer in interviews. Smith remarked he had an "excellent working relationship" with Purslow when he left, so the theory does not add up. That said, I think everyone was desperate for Smith to succeed this season, especially in front of  Villa fans too after the COVID restrictions. Sadly he was well backed but it was a bridge too far for Dean. We move on and look to the future. 

I think people are seeking an authority figure to hate with Purslow, it is unfair IMO. 

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Villa_Vids said:

I respectfully disagree. It was a big rebuilding job but we were very attractive at that point with the new investment. Smith was hired for the job by Purslow and DS succeeded. It worked out. I do not buy the narrative that Purslow was out for Smith. Purslow was often Smith's biggest backer in interviews. Smith remarked he had an "excellent working relationship" with Purslow when he left, so the theory does not add up. That said, I think everyone was desperate for Smith to succeed this season, especially in front of  Villa fans too after the COVID restrictions. Sadly he was well backed but it was a bridge too far for Dean. We move on and look to the future. 

I think people are seeking an authority figure to hate with Purslow, it is unfair IMO. 

What did I say that was wrong. Smith actually paid nothing and got us promoted 

And FWIW I think we didn't have a push for Europe last season because the players gave up mid January

This season were as inconsistent as ever and have days like west ham and yesterday because the players gave up mid January 

Who knows what the answer is but seemingly our last 2 managers don't know it, this team needs a lot more money spent on it still but money alone won't fix it

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

He was well backed apart from the context of the league, he had a mid table squad with mid table spending on lower end of the league wages safely in mid table

And I don't see anything in Gerrard that is different apart from the wages have also now gone mid table, we aren't better, we aren't doing anything now that was beyond Smith  

Deano losing his job was impatience and a jittery fanbase and this unfair belief of a ceiling handing purslow the bullet 

Fair enough. I do not fully agree with your assessment. It was evident that Smith struggled without Grealish, and we had struggled at the back end of last season which continued into this season. The pre-season was a disaster IMO, not entirely Dean's fault with the COVID stuff & Grealish saga. Smith biggest factual achievement this season is losing five in a row with two different clubs. 🤣

But I think the club made the right choice. There was a real danger of us being involved in a relegation scrap  and  finishing well below what the board were demanding. It is right to demand more from a coach who has been well backed and been here near three years IMO. It was a objective decision and it reversed our fortunes. It was a short term success. I think the fanbase would have given him until the end of the season nevertheless. He was/is popular here. Purslow would have given him time if he was hovering around 12th place, no doubt in my mind. CP acted on behalf of the club's best interests. The club is bigger than Dean Smith.

That said, Gerrard may well come to the same end. We cannot predict. He has not been perfect nor is he infallible. Gerrard is much more shorter into his reign, he deserves more time to implement his ideas. I think Gerrard's approach is much more short term and bringing in players who can deliver "now". Smith preferred to be patient and develop players at the expense of short term results. It cost him his job IMO. We need to find a middle ground of both those visions. Lange needs to take more responsibility for the footballing side now and be under more scrutiny. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If deano got sacked and took over west brom what would you opinion be of him ? 

Why would anybody care. Management is his job and he would be joining a team close to home, it not like he is joining a rival from us

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I’d wish him good luck, really. He’s a lovely man, to whom I’ll forever be grateful for the job he did for Villa, and he doesn’t owe us anything. Guy needs to work somewhere. 

• Like 2

Best of luck to Dean Smith wherever he goes, and he has proven he is a solid manager perfectly capable of managing major teams. 

I think he will win promotion with Norwich next season. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

They have never been in our stratosphere, in fact I had to look them up, nope just a small.local team, let him go there, he'd probably be one of the best managers they've ever had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Best of luck to Dean Smith wherever he goes, and he has proven he is a solid manager perfectly capable of managing major teams. 

I think he will win promotion with Norwich next season. 

I think if everton go down they will bankers to win championship 

Same with watford

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think if everton go down they will bankers to win championship 

Same with watford

Both cant be bankers 😉

Watford only went up automatically as Brentford threw it away with Norwich top all season 

Edited by Zatman
  • Haha 1

Â