Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Good chance of him being gone within a week, IMO, two must win games for him, for Norwich to be bottom after 3 games is appalling.

He was always on a hiding to nothing, said it at the time - as low as PL expectations were, he did himself no favours going in to lead a team of whipping boys for 6 months. He'll get no patience that he might have got with these results if he'd taken over in the summer.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

i think the whole thing happened very suddenly, wasnt he on holiday in New York when he got the call and had to rush back and next thing you know he was confirmed as boss? i think he can salvage his job and not get sacked for the time being, he has to beat huddersfield tommorow though, i think if its not max points there than it will be hard to come back from.

17 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Played 3, lost 2 and drawn 1, I don't think the fanbase ever took to Dean. He must be in trouble there, they have huddersfield, millwall and sunderland next all of whom are quite good at the physical and scrapping asepcts of the game.

thats where he falls down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith made a collosal **** up taking that job. He probably get sacked and then up at a club like wigan hull

very much this

should have waited and gone to a good championship team on the up rather than norwich on the way down

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Too soon, to say that, really.....Its not a club you can buy your way out of trouble.

He needs time, but my worry for him is, the game as a whole is more physical, and Its not Deans Forte, he like the dainty ball players....I think they will get steamrollered.

I dont think it is too early to say to be honest. He did probably as bad as farke did in pl and has started the season absymally. He also let a 2 goal lead at home slip to a poor weakened blose team in the cup. 

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think it is too early to say to be honest. He did probably as bad as farke did in pl and has started the season absymally. He also let a 2 goal lead at home slip to a poor weakened blose team in the cup. 

Yeah, but if you are going to change Farkes Approach.....and to be fair, despite his superb promotions, the format didn't work in the Premier League.....Dean has to change it.

That takes time, effort and Money.

He would do well imo to have a gander over at his old mate at Brentford, to see how he has transformed his side in to a durable, combative outfit.....that can give most teams a game.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith made a collosal **** up taking that job. He probably get sacked and then up at a club like wigan hull

53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

very much this

should have waited and gone to a good championship team on the up rather than norwich on the way down

I just dont get this logic.

Smith took over a PL/Champ yo-yo team, with a squad that is really high quality for the Champ.

Nobody realistically expected him to keep them up last season (even if that was their hope - anyone could see it was highly unlikely), i think the real expectation would be to have taken this very, very good squad (for championship level), add a couple of quality players, get automatic promotion and give the PL a reasonable shot next season.

I think personally, that Norwich when Smith took over, was a great job for a manager, yes relegation was pretty nailed on, but Norwich have yo-yo'd for a few years now, they have plenty of cash in the bank, a bit of money to spend if needed, and a quality squad for the level they are at.

If Smith cant get a tune out of that Norwich squad, then its entirely on him and his coaching staff, many, many managers would give their right arm to be given the chance to manage that squad in the champ.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah, but if you are going to change Farkes Approach.....and to be fair, despite his superb promotions, the format didn't work in th Premier League.....Dean has to change it.

He would do well imo to have a gander over at his old mate at Brentford, to see how he has transformed his side in to a durable, combative outfit.....that can give most teams a game.

Im sorry to say but i think frank is a much better manager than smith is

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Yeah, but if you are going to change Farkes Approach.....and to be fair, despite his superb promotions, the format didn't work in the Premier League.....Dean has to change it.

i dunno mate, i dont think it would take much at all to harden Norwich up.

They have okish central defenders for their level, if they play 4231 or 433, they only really need two more combative midfielders who can recycle the ball well, then let their attackers do their thing, of which their attackers should be tearing up the champ.

I think the fact is, unfortunately, that Smith isnt doing a very good job, at all.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Smith took over a PL/Champ yo-yo team, with a squad that is really high quality for the Champ.

Nobody realistically expected him to keep them up last season (even if that was their hope - anyone could see it was highly unlikely), i think the real expectation would be to have taken this very, very good squad (for championship level), add a couple of quality players, get automatic promotion and give the PL a reasonable shot next season.

I think personally, that Norwich when Smith took over, was a great job for a manager, yes relegation was pretty nailed on, but Norwich have yo-yo'd for a few years now, they have plenty of cash in the bank, a bit of money to spend if needed, and a quality squad for the level they are at.

If Smith cant get a tune out of that Norwich squad, then its entirely on him and his coaching staff, many, many managers would give their right arm to be given the chance to manage that squad in the champ.

as you know, I agree with you most of the time, and yes, I think Norwich is a good/ decent job.

I think the main problem with many managers,is Balance in the team......They see a certain style and over cook it, with too many players of one style in the team......The best managers, see balance and subsequently, their teams can tackle all scenarios.

I think Dean needs time to change it.....that of course is, if he can see it in the first place......I think Signing Hayden, suggests to me he can.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think he jumped in too soon 

he should have stepped away, recharged and then gone to norwich or someone else full of beans

as it is I think they have a demotivated squad with a demotivated manager and a demotivated fanbase riding the back of a relegation and it shows, the goals they conceded at the weekend were nothing to do with football coaching, you cant coach that level of shitness in to a professional footballer, i think a lot of it is in their heads, they havent got that buzz around them of being a top championship team and deano wont shake that because he's also got that failure hanging around him

for all the yo-yoing of say norwich, fulham, baggies etc who from them has actually taken over as a manager mid way through a season, been relegated and then come straight back up? i think its just parker and even he was only caretaker manager of fulham and they were relegated after 1 game in charge so relegation really didnt land at his feet, it sounds easy on paper but im not convinced many have done it

Edited by villa4europe

On 13/08/2022 at 21:16, Mantis said:

Sometimes it just clicks for managers at certain clubs. I've felt for a long time that it clicked for Smith here for the most part, but that on the whole he's a pretty limited manager. Think he'll basically go down in history as the Villa Nigel Adkins (and that's not a bad thing from the Villa point of view).

We had some good players to get promotion, in Terry and Abraham, Grealish, McGinn.....Players arguably better than what we have now.

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Proper chump for taking on Norwich. Done himself out of some decent jobs.

Taking over a guy who had got them up twice with a side that was largely destined to lose a lot for the next sixth months.

Silly sausage.

What jobs are those?

If a Premier League club offers you a job you’ve got to take it. You never know if another offer will come along. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

What jobs are those?

If a Premier League club offers you a job you’ve got to take it. You never know if another offer will come along. 

Quite a naive view, IMO. You don't want to stay out of a job for years, or you become Alan Curbishley, but that doesn't mean you need to take the first job that comes your way a week later.

Since he was sacked, the below clubs sacked their manager:

Man United

Everton

Watford

Leeds

Burnley

I think he could have comfortably got 3 of those 5 jobs, and yeah, two of them went down, but he'd have been in a better position at the start of this season if he were at Burnley. Everton would have been a bloody good job for him that I think he'd have got.

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Quite a naive view, IMO. You don't want to stay out of a job for years, or you become Alan Curbishley, but that doesn't mean you need to take the first job that comes your way a week later.

I think he could have comfortably got 3 of those 5 jobs, and yeah, two of them went down, but he'd have been in a better position at the start of this season if he were at Burnley. Everton would have been a bloody good job for him that I think he'd have got.

Everton only seem to want to hire big name managers though so cant imagine Smith would have been near the running

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Burnley and Watford are the only ones he might have been able to get. 

Everton want a bigger name and Leeds fans wouldn't have accepted him due to the history. 

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

West Brom will take him on post Bruce I reckon. Stoke have started with 2 defeats out of 3 so think Michael O'Neill has taken them as far as he can and he'd be an o.k fit for them so he'll still have other chances to get teams up to premier league.

Didn't realise Norwich had a game tomorrow, home to Huddersfield is a real must win for them it's fair to say.

Â