Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

When's the last time we lost to Norwich in the PL? We even beat them the year we got relegated. 1 of 3 wins. We are their bogey side. Couldn't lay a glove on them in the Championship though (apart from that one Keinan Davis masterclass).

So happy Deano got his annual victory over Bruce. I would love it if Bruce got another appointment and Deano continued to own him match after match lol. 

28 minutes ago, a-k said:

Has no team had their final match of the season and the first of the next season against the same team?

I had a look at some of the replies to that tweet and double checked them. In fact Stoke City beat Liverpool on the final day of the 2014/15 season (6-1, Gerrard scoring the consolation goal on his final premier league appearance). At the start of the 2015/16, Stoke against played Liverpool, this time losing 1-0. 

Mark Hughes and Brendan Rodgers in charge for both fixtures.

I would maybe venture that this is the first time a manager has faced the same club in the same season, no transfer windows in between, it’s literally the same team.

I like stuff like this. Although it’s not as good as Bruce being on opposite sides and losing both fixtures in the Sheffield Wednesday - Aston Villa games. I don’t think that was a first either, still funny though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I had a look at some of the replies to that tweet and double checked them. In fact Stoke City beat Liverpool on the final day of the 2014/15 season (6-1, Gerrard scoring the consolation goal on his final premier league appearance). At the start of the 2015/16, Stoke against played Liverpool, this time losing 1-0. 

I would maybe venture that this is the first time a manager has faced the same club in the same season, no transfer windows in between, it’s literally the same team.

I like stuff like this. Although it’s not as good as Bruce being on opposite sides and losing both fixtures in the Sheffield Wednesday - Aston Villa games. I don’t think that was a first either, still funny though.

in other words, don't tweet a fun stat unless you're sure it's correct!

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I am not shitting on Smith at every opportunity, I am discussing Smith. Smith did a fantastic job during his time at Villa. Promotion, cup final, premiership retention and 11th, plus a few brilliant games to remember, most notably against Liverpool. I have also said that Gerrard is not my first choice and he is a risk. However, some people can't take off their 'Dean Smith is God' glasses for long enough to actually see what is posted

Hmmm, maybe you should read some of your own posts, because they certainly do not read that way.

Where can one get hold of some "Dean Smith is God" glasses? They sound like fun. 

22 hours ago, DCJonah said:

The lengths people will still go to, now that he's done, to have a pop at the man. So strange.

Because it means they'll have been right in October 2018 when they bitched Smith wasn't the man to take us up.

Tragic.

Maybe they're upset they sat on their hands through 10-in-a-row, promotion, survival, beating nearly every top team in the country and giving an awful fright to the only top team we didn't beat in a cup final.

:flag:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

At least Deano should be well prepared for what Norwich will have to face. I would like to see him get the win and put Newcastle bottom 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Hmmm, maybe you should read some of your own posts, because they certainly do not read that way.

Where can one get hold of some "Dean Smith is God" glasses? They sound like fun. 

I am not sure where u get the glasses, maybe some of the other posters on here could help with that, there appears to be a lot of people that have them

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

When's the last time we lost to Norwich in the PL? We even beat them the year we got relegated. 1 of 3 wins. We are their bogey side. Couldn't lay a glove on them in the Championship though (apart from that one Keinan Davis masterclass).

We lost 2-0 at Carrow Road that season.  Horrific performance although they were par for the course that year.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

We lost 2-0 at Carrow Road that season.  Horrific performance although they were par for the course that year.

It is quite amazing how quickly the brain forgets things it doesn't want to remember. I clearly remember us beating them 5-1 and Wes scoring twice but I don't recall the 2-0 loss :)

16 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

It is quite amazing how quickly the brain forgets things it doesn't want to remember. I clearly remember us beating them 5-1 and Wes scoring twice but I don't recall the 2-0 loss :)

Relegation season 

Â