Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

You said losing 3 games in a row in this league sets you up terribly. A nuch better team than us lost 4 in a row last season and did OK in the end

Depends what position you are in the table when you loose 3 in a row. we're ok. It wont be good but we are safe. 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My biggest concern is actually the Friday night pissed up atmosphere. It can give players a lot of energy. Alternatively if we get on top it could also turn toxic. 

I have never been to The Emirates but it doesn't seem to be able to get much of an atmosphere regardless of what is happening on the pitch. I think if it does get toxic that would be more directed towards Arteta and Edu rather than the Villa. Let's hope it is a good game and we come away with 3 well deserved points. 

• Like 2

Having seen Arsenal vs. Palace this week, we really need to be going for it. They've got some talent in the side but no discernible leader on the pitch and a massive lack of pressing effort throughout the midfield and attack. 

It'll be very interesting to see what Dean goes with, but I'd definitely go attacking 4-3-3 and just hit them early and hard. They're fragile but could grow into a game if allowed.

• Like 1

Not a whole heap of ready made available replacements out there so cannot see change for change sake luckily. I think results and how he incorporates Buendia and Bailey will be decisive in any decisions regarding smiths future.

9 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I think results and how he incorporates Buendia and Bailey will be decisive in any decisions regarding smiths future.

I would add how he gets Ings and Ollie to work together is going to be important too. I think getting the use of these 4 players is absolutely key to Dean's future. If he can get this right then he will be very safe and Villa will no doubt be successful. It does appear we have a lot of the pieces need for a very good team and it is looking very promising 

• Like 2

'I think Arsenal will win, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a unmistakably emphatic victory. The terrible outcome already feels palpable.'

~ This thread will be busy after tonight's game.

Edited by useless
I deleted the positive aspect of the post, but only because I thought It looks better with this many words.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, QldVilla said:

What it doesn't measure unfortunately is how each manager would go with each others squad and resources. Peps been at Barcelona, Bayern and City, he's never had to do it hard, and I don't believe the stats are reflective of his actual ability. Yes he is one of the best managers, but would he achieve similar if he had to build something with limited resources like nearly every other manager? Not every manager has the luxury of buying seven world class defenders until they get it right. Klopp, Rodgers both brought teams up from the second tier and even Mourinho slummed it at União de Leiria to prove his managerial ability.

Win ratios can be misleading.

Any stats can....but we all use them and the modern world craves them.

In the main, we manage by measurement.

I accept what you are saying and anomalies will always surface, but taking in all the factors, they are a pretty good yardstick.

Pep, gets all the best jobs, with the best players, because he can.....His reputation precedes him, so why wouldn't he take the jobs with the best players.

I am not peddling the theory that all stats are sacrosanct....but I do think they are a good indicator...and I'm sure interpretations will vary....but much more learned Data analysts than me , punching a few numbers, use them with impunity.

36 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Out of interest, when was the last time we came back from a losing position to win a game?

I don’t know why but my brain is telling me that it’s something we’ve always struggled with under Smith.

At Spurs at the end of last season, also a few weeks before that at home to Fulham

Edited by a-k
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Any stats can....but we all use them and the modern world craves them.

In the main, we manage by measurement.

I accept what you are saying and anomalies will always surface, but taking in all the factors, they are a pretty good yardstick.

Pep, gets all the best jobs, with the best players, because he can.....His reputation precedes him, so why wouldn't he take the jobs with the best players.

I am not peddling the theory that all stats are sacrosanct....but I do think they are a good indicator...and I'm sure interpretations will vary....but much more learned Data analysts than me , punching a few numbers, use them with impunity.

For me that’s the point though, you become a better coach by the challenges you take on. What would Smith’s win ratio be what would any managers win ratio be with similar resources? IMO the better coaches are the ones that sometimes take the harder road.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

For me that’s the point though, you become a better coach by the challenges you take on. What would Smith’s win ratio be what would any managers win ratio be with similar resources? IMO the better coaches are the ones that sometimes take the harder road.

I think if Smith had players like what City do then we'd be looking at a team challenging for a top spot and champions league football. I think handing everything like that to Smith on a playe straight away certainly wouldn't allow him to learn, simply he has to earn his way to that type of team. If the day comes that Smith gets his hands on a team with that much quality then I do hope it's with us as I think he would do well and by then he will of learned. 

I still say it now but give him time and I still think the best is yet to be seen and felt within the squad from Smith. I think he's still only finding his feet at the top level and once hes gotten himself through those tough challenges like you talk about he will surely shine. I know many would disagree but I think he will capture a trophy or title at Villa and if the Owners can support him all the way as they have been doing then that is fantastic. I also think as soon as Smith finds a winning formula and a system most struggle to deal with he will go onto win something. Once he does win something the real era of Smith will begin and for a while he will be the sought after English Coach not to mention a Coach who once he knows what winning is and what it took him to do it. I think for Smith it's getting that first win of some final and taking a trophy then he will go on and start repeating it many a time just like fergie did with utd. Remember Smith has had us in a final with City and if it weren't for bad timed injuries we may of been in Europe and then who knows.

I personally think Smith has at times had alot of bad luck with squad injuries, especially when it's been apparent that we were doing well then all of a sudden they have hit and its killed the season.

Alot of luck, some good planning and the right tools for the job and if things click right could see Smith and Co take home a trophy or title.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

See this is the issue a few of us have in this thread....we're playing like we've been on the sauce in Camden since midday.

Why hasn't he tweaked anything?

On evidence of first 20 minutes half time is going to be too late tonight.

Edited by VillaChris

Â