Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Remember the Smith that brought Kodjia on against Rotherham when we lost Mings to a red card.

What happened to that proactive guy

To be fair, attacking strategies against Rotherham and Barnsley are less dangerous than against some of the best sides in Europe.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Amazing performance.

Shows there is quality even without Grealish.

Need to see this energy more often.

Do you agree Smith got it right today, including in-game management?

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Smith has now gone ahead of VT hero Bielsa again. Who next is his rival, maybe Klopp or Pep

Compare him to Graham Potter this week as he tactically outclassed the legend that is Bielsa. Potter also won this weekend by one more goal than Smith. Smith out, Potter in ( I reserve the rights to change my mind on this next week and replace Potter for whoever gets the best result next weekend!).

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Smith has now gone ahead of VT hero Bielsa again. Who next is his rival, maybe Klopp or Pep

Yeah yeah but you have to remember it's Smiths second season! 

So nice win good job manager proud of you.But i think i have a  criticism of Smith. .

So if im not delusional i would say we had masive holes in the middle in this game. In my opinion luiz and mcginn teamwork was really bad this game. Luiz especialy looked like hes not very aware of opposition players in cdm zone and at times he would seem like hes operating there alone because mcginn would operate higher.

So my question or criticism is.  Why when we scored we didint bring on our most defensive midfielder Nakamba??????  Nakamba brings energy in problematic area and fixes those holes.

I think all of you would agree that at that point 2-1 80th minute our objective is securing the win.  So can someone answer this question or elaborate if you agree or disagree with my observations or thinking.

Edited by Tumblerseven

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Zero complaints about the manager if we've played a bit more like this in last two months!

See it's not impossible to play with purpose and intensity and create chances without Jack as we've seen in first 45 so that's the frustration so many of our performances have been way off since Feb.

I think tonight Everton started in a very open way because they are chasing wins to try and get to Europe whereas many teams we have played over the last couple of months haven't allowed us to play on the counter so much.  Barkley seemed to have a bit more time as well as being a lot sharper which helped us as I feel McGinn and Luiz have been having to do a 3-man midfield's job between the two of them and struggled.  

I've been harping on about this for weeks and weeks but see what a difference it makes when you move the ball with some pace. Our movement is better and our possession is better. That was a great game to watch and first time I've not felt too nervous about conceding! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

So nice win good job manager proud of you.But i think i have a  criticism of Smith. .

So if im not delusional i would say we had masive holes in the middle in this game. In my opinion luiz and mcginn teamwork was really bad this game. Luiz especialy looked like hes not very aware of opposition players in cdm zone and at times he would seem like hes operating there alone because mcginn would operate higher.

So my question or criticism is.  Why when we scored we didint bring on our most defensive midfielder Nakamba??????  Nakamba brings energy in problematic area and fixes those holes.

I think all of you would agree that at that point 2-1 80th minute our objective is securing the win.  So can someone answer this question or elaborate if you agree or disagree with my observations or thinking.

Sometimes when you bring on a defensive player the whole team gets a little defensive. Maybe Dean wanted that element of attack as a form of defence.

5 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

i actually thought Mcginn, Luiz and Barkley were excellent together, really high workrate and seemed to link up very well. I was surprised not to see Nakamba at 2-1 but also glad. I think whe hes on the pitch we play deeper and invite pressure. Keeping the midfield 3 together and adding Ramsey was a smart option. We kept quality and legs on the pitch.

8 minutes ago, Tumblerseven said:

In simplest terms Dean just trusts and rates Doug highly, even if he has been off colour since the covid break.  Nothing wrong in what you suggest though.

Â