Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This could be the first time in his managerial career his team doesn’t finish in the top 6. In some ways probably his biggest ever challenge.

It has to be a medium term project tho’.

Don’t entirely dismiss him yet.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think Everton fans are very similar to ours in a lot of respects. Big club with ambitious owners who have spent big and will spend big again in the summer. 

With that comes expectation. Had Smith got us to where we are now having spent half the amount, I can’t imagine anyone on here would have any criticisms. However we have, and like Everton, fans and the board will expect results and success off the back of it. 

Personally I think Smith is doing great. He’s not without criticism but right now I wouldn’t swap him for anyone. Next season will be the big test to see if we can push on. 

What I will say is our squad is in a much better place than Everton’s. We have a young, established back 5, a very good striker and one of the best attacking players in the world. They will be focusing heavily on shifting 7/8 ageing players along with bringing quality in whereas we can concentrate on shifting 2/3, allowing players out of contract to leave and then focus on filling the gaps (DCM as an example) with expensive, quality starters. 

This summer will be exciting. 

Based on what I saw last night Everton fans seem to be saying the same as us - for where we want to be he's not good enough - the difference is they're talking about £25m players signed from barca not £2.5m players from hibs we signed in the championship... 

They're a bit of a patch work quilt, a squad of (expensive) ghosts from managers past and more than once this season I've seen them have a bench similar in quality to ours, to me they are what happens when you have 4 managers in 5 years or whatever it was and now they're saying carlo has maybe another year or two in him so they'll do it all over again, you need consistency 

They have 10 players that cost more than our record signing and I completely agree that our squad on paper in terms of age and ability is in a better place than theirs, both need huge amounts of work

The bottom line is, any fan who’s been through the mill and the uncertainty of the last decade; can only be ecstatic that we’re officially back in a place where we feel part of the fabric of the top flight again. Backing like NSWE have given us is a blessing, and a manager who is steeped in the history and traditions of the club, aswell as only having the clubs wellbeing in mind, again, is a blessing. Those calling for him to go just come across short sighted and spoiled. If we have 10 crap games for whatever reason, you dont need to disregard all that went before. We know he has it in him to turn it around. People call for subs and changes, myself included, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt, you’ll get fan resistance either way. But I fully trust Smith knows what he’s doing and whatever way you spin it, this season has been good for us.

We play the best football under Smith when we click. I think we’ll be a top side in a few years, once we have the squad.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

We are only 6 points off last years runaway champions

I agree with the sentiment of your post, but I absolutely hate this false narrative.

It's like saying we are 31 points above last years 9th place team (Sheffield United ).

OR that 9th is shit because it's where this years bottom team finished last year.

Mourinho could have told Levy that they are only 1 point behind last years " Runaway Champions ", as reasoning for why their season has been extraordinary.

They are NOT the Champions right now, nor have they been in any sort of " Champion " form this season.

It's the same reasoning we used to justify our shite performance against them.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

When literally every single post of yours is being critical of a manager that has brought us more success than we've seen in more than a decade then I'm sorry mate, that's an agenda. If every single post of mine was criticising Jack Grealish I'm sure most would consider me nothing more than a troll, opinion or not. Dean Smith is to Villa managers what Jack Grealish is to Villa players. 

There you go again, completely dismissing the win because it doesn't suit your narrative. Why are only games since January important? Why not the whole season? Why not Smiths whole tenure? Why, if you have no agenda, are you only considering games that we played badly in when you critique the manager, why dismiss the games we play well? Especially when this is our best season in about 15 years? 

You say you won't change your opinion overnight, and given that he is a manager that has brought us consistent and sustained improvement from the first minute he walked through the door I'd say that must be right. I'd say you didn't want him to start with and if he won the Champions League with us you'd still be critical. 

If you are completely incapable of offering a single bit of praise without caveat during the clubs most successful season since MON then you clearly have an agenda 

thebachelorau kill me shoot me GIF

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Based on what I saw last night Everton fans seem to be saying the same as us - for where we want to be he's not good enough - the difference is they're talking about £25m players signed from barca not £2.5m players from hibs we signed in the championship... 

They're a bit of a patch work quilt, a squad of (expensive) ghosts from managers past and more than once this season I've seen them have a bench similar in quality to ours, to me they are what happens when you have 4 managers in 5 years or whatever it was and now they're saying carlo has maybe another year or two in him so they'll do it all over again, you need consistency 

They have 10 players that cost more than our record signing and I completely agree that our squad on paper in terms of age and ability is in a better place than theirs, both need huge amounts of work

Some fans just ignore this kind of thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Based on what I saw last night Everton fans seem to be saying the same as us - for where we want to be he's not good enough 

I'm not sure i agree he isn't big enough for where we want to be.  If you mean he isn't big enough "at the moment" for where we want to be "in the future", then maybe....  but I'd much rather have Smith than any number of "big" managers at the moment. Mourinho? No thanks.  Brendan Rodgers? Not any better.  Dean is fine for where we are, and learning/ getting better every year. If he achieves something with us next season,  his reputation grows with us and I see him continuing that trend.

Only if we see regression, do I worry that he's reached his limit, but for now the sky is the limit. I think he could well establish a reputation as one of the great managers if he kesps it up.

hHe's had success and/or progression every where he's been, year after year.  To the point where I feel he's as likely to get poached as he is sacked at the moment.

Still has lots to learn, but we have a squad that is 2+ years from its prime. Could all come together beautifully.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Speaking to a pretty well spoken Liverpool fan yesterday (I know!!!), who was extremely complimentary of us. Singled out Watkins and cash as fantastic signings, said Watkins should go to the euros. 

It was his comments on Smith that made me proud as punch to be a villa fan. Talking about how we've come on in the last couple of years, how good the recruitment is, how we play lovely football to watch (even commenting that it hasn't been as good recently) so has clearly watched us a bit. 

Talked about how it's unique having a genuine fan and captain in charge of the club and what an unbelievable job Dean has done. Even stating he should be in the running for manager of the year. 

When I said that there's some dissenters toward Smith amongst the villa fan base, he was in complete shock. 

How come other fans can see it? 

I was more pleased for Deano than anybody else Saturday night (couldn't sleep I was so buzzing), it was a testament to his belief and philosophy that he stuck to his guns tactically and with the shape and it bore fruit. It clearly what he believes in, we will buy players to fit his way of playing so changing the system unless in drastic circumstances won't happen too often. 

Would we have won the game with Davis and Ramsey starting, or going 2 up top? We can't be sure either way, but deano got some abuse for the starting XI, he got it absolutely spot on. I thought we were were getting better in recent weeks... And then excellent Saturday night. I hope, and my gut feeling is we will, continue the improved form (2W, 1D, 2L - those two losses to Liverpool and man City and the Liverpool one was a 90th minute goal). 

A number of posters inconspicuous. Usually very vocal ones. Fantastic work deano, keep proving people wrong. I hope you do. 

In a way this why I’m glad fans haven’t been at stadiums this season it’s allowed our team to grow, I’m sure we are the most difficult fan base to please.

19 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

In a way this why I’m glad fans haven’t been at stadiums this season it’s allowed our team to grow, I’m sure we are the most difficult fan base to please.

We are not I promise you. I dip into other clubs forums to amuse myself occasionally. If you want to see hard to please take a look at the Spurs “fighting cock” forum they are 95% delusional with the odd fan that realises they are not a big club and are on the decline after over achieving by virtue of getting lucky that a world class striker came through there youth team. We on hear I think for the most part are fairly balanced and objective in comparison. 

FWIW i think smith is doing a really good job and we have progressed beyond belief from where we were when he joined us. I think next season will be interest to see if he and the club can get us kicking on from this year or if we slip backwards. If we skip then it’s time I think to look at if smith is our best option.

21 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

The Smith out brigade absolutely baffle me. 

Like 1000% baffle me. 

We have a Villa fan managing the club who is doing a phenomenal job.

We are only 6 points off last years runaway champions who have been in the league over 20 years, we dropped out and have had to rebuild from literally scratch. What’s been achieved this season is incredible and that’s with our star player missing for over a quarter of the season.

Why on Earth would you want to replace this manager while we are still in the process of rebuilding. The fact we are still in with a faint shout of Europe as well with 5 games left... what a **** great season! 

Here we go again!  :rolleyes:

So, no matter how shit we have been of late, everyone should just sit and accept it and say nothing because we've had a brilliant season and Dean Smith is a Villa fan?

It's Johnny come lately posts like this that get people's backs up, "The Smith out brigade". I mean seriously, WTF.

It interests me and makes me wonder if you would have made the same post had the scoreline been Everton 2 - Villa 1?

Everyone who has posted showing concerns about our recent form are equally as quick to congratulate Dean Smith when we also get good results.

I think some posters just like the feeling of point scoring against others with moral high ground "Told you so" posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Here we go again!  :rolleyes:

So, no matter how shit we have been of late, everyone should just sit and accept it and say nothing because we've had a brilliant season and Dean Smith is a Villa fan?

It's Johnny come lately posts like this that get people's backs up, "The Smith out brigade". I mean seriously, WTF.

It interests me and makes me wonder if you would have made the same post had the scoreline been Everton 2 - Villa 1?

Everyone who has posted showing concerns about our recent form are equally as quick to congratulate Dean Smith when we also get good results.

I think some posters just like the feeling of point scoring against others with moral high ground "Told you so" posts.

Lol Johnny come lately?

We have been poor lately sure, yet only 7 points off 6th place having survived by the skin of our teeth last season. Having had a huge Covid outbreak. Having our star player miss over quarter of the season. 

I can only assume by your reaction you have been calling for a change in manager?

It’s really not point scoring, it’s just exasperating seeing people calling for a change in manager because he doesn’t make subs early enough or some other nonsense reason.

We have a great thing going here, why on Earth would we ruin the progress the club has made and potentially take a step backwards to bring in an unknown quantity to be at the helm when we have a Villa fan as the manager who lives and breathes bringing success to this club. 

And in my personal opinion he has the ability to form a team that can challenge for premier league titles, 100%. 

Did I want Smith when we appointed him, hell no, I didn’t think he was good enough, I was disappointed. I wanted a big name. 

I was wrong, we have the exact man in charge who should be in charge. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

To clarify... I would’ve yes. 

24 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

It's a fair point, but the performance was very good and a few commented in the match thread that they were satisfied. Before we had scored the winner. 

On a similar note, if you flipped our season around and we were poor to begin with but excellent in recent weeks, would the frustration be there with Smith? 

• Like 1

Â