Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, birdman said:

I've been harping on about this for weeks and weeks but see what a difference it makes when you move the ball with some pace. Our movement is better and our possession is better. That was a great game to watch and first time I've not felt too nervous about conceding! 

Best I’ve seen is play this calendar year …. Before I fell asleep.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Exactly this for me 

Nakamba plays 5 to 10 yards deeper than Luiz, you bring him on and the whole team ends up dropping deeper, that's not what you want, energy is one thing but you have to maintain the shape that was working 

So my first thought of attacking my criticism was this idea. Then i felt it was kinda simplistic or lazy because you can demolish it very easy.

Our most energetic player in midfield is mcginn and i think everyone agree with that.

So If we using presure or attack as defence taking of Barkley and bringing Nakamba and telling John go wild a little higher where Barkley operated quickly demolishes this idea in my opinion. And in attack we still strong  Mcginn has a good pass and creativity and can shoot.

Edited by Tumblerseven

It does been the question though, why haven't they played like this more often in the last few games? Maybe it's taken the team n Dean some time to adjust without Grealish, let's hope this is a winning formula, I think he also knows that Davis can be of huge use either off the bench or starting. Something we didn't see at the beginning.

Really hoping Deano has more playing on options now, hopefully less reliance on Grealish as a team too.

38 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Didn't watch the game when I saw the team, that will teach me.

Sounds like a good performance and a good result.

You do realise that you cannot watch another game, just the way it works, however the good thing is it resets at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, supermon said:

It does been the question though, why haven't they played like this more often in the last few games? Maybe it's taken the team n Dean some time to adjust without Grealish, let's hope this is a winning formula, I think he also knows that Davis can be of huge use either off the bench or starting. Something we didn't see at the beginning.

Really hoping Deano has more playing on options now, hopefully less reliance on Grealish as a team too.

I think it’s exactly the Grealish issue. Everything goes through him when he plays, so take him out of the side and it will take a while to adapt.

That’s the downside of having a standout player. I don’t blame the manager for that - he has rightly tried to get Grealish involved as much as possible, and that’s the reason we had such a good start to the season.

Also worth mentioning that several players have been struggling recently, which has made it harder for Smith. I think McGinn and Barkley are both looking fresh again, and that gives him more options in attack.

The only players who have been dependable, in form starters throughout the season are Martinez, Konsa, Targett and Watkins. Everyone else has had a dip and / or an injury.

Smith has done well to hold his nerve and back players who a lot of us probably thought weren’t up to the task. On tonight’s showing, it looks like he was right to persist with Barkley, for example.

This is why I’m reluctant to criticise or ‘just ask questions of’ Dean Smith. I was really hoping he’d take either Anwar or Bertie off, and was wondering what Deano was waiting for, before Bertie went and assisted Anwar’s excellent winner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

This is why I’m reluctant to criticise or ‘just ask questions of’ Dean Smith. I was really hoping he’d take either Anwar or Bertie off, and was wondering what Deano was waiting for, before Bertie went and assisted Anwar’s excellent winner. 

Yeah, and let's be honest - not bringing the subs on was a brave move on his part. The standard thing to do would be bring one player on at 60 mins, and another at 75. But clearly he saw his players weren't struggling to keep up, and he was happy with the shape. It's not like we had loads of game changers on the bench. I thought he got it spot on.

• Like 3

Just now, KentVillan said:

Yeah, and let's be honest - not bringing the subs on was a brave move on his part. The standard thing to do would be bring one player on at 60 mins, and another at 75. But clearly he saw his players weren't struggling to keep up, and he was happy with the shape. It's not like we had loads of game changers on the bench. I thought he got it spot on.

Absolutely. The importance of this is often underrated, when your gut tells you to ‘change it up’ because you’re desperately for a goal. Changes are just as likely to be disruptive as they are to improve anything. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Those getting restless with Don Smith

It’s about time people realise that he’s a made man and show some respect. I wouldn’t like to imagine what some posters could find in their beds this morning........

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Haha 2

Â