The NSWE Board

Guest av1

Deciphering this I would assume that due to FFP they are manoeuvring to transfer the ground out of the asset by "selling" it to the 'Trust' - not sure of what the trust's legal standing thereafter is or how it is linked back to the club other than it share some common ownership (only Sawiris and Edens)? I would imagine its completely separate but don't understand the significance of the 'Trust' halo, but think it may link the trust i.e. the ground to the club therefore protecting it and ensuring its association with the Aston Villa FC in perpetuity, removing any cynical concerns of fans that they think the ownership separation in the future could shaft the club. Basically its another way of inject ing capital into the club via another means and satisfying FFP  at the same time, but clearly this is a once only transaction.

By selling the ground at a price above the book value, the difference is profit and mops up shortfall keeping us within FFP rules. This is what Middlesborough's Gibson got his knickers in twist about with Derby's Mel Morris. But it is a legitimate transaction and allowed.

I don't know If Sawiris is personally funding this and therefore this is why the share ownership and structure has changed, but would imagine that Xia and Purslow are removed as they only have a stake the 'Aston Villa FC' and not the ground purchase vehicle as this basically a huge unilateral injection of cash by the owner(s).

I do however think it means we will have a lot of money to spend to reinforce this summer as well as retrospectively mopping up the legacy spend in the last Championship year.

I am sure we have an accountant/lawyer here somewhere who might understand this better or who can interpret the implications and likely intention of all this.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Deciphering this I would assume that due to FFP they are manoeuvring to transfer the ground out of the asset by "selling" it to the 'Trust' - not sure of what the trust's legal standing thereafter is or how it is linked back to the club other than it share some common ownership (only Sawiris and Edens)? I would imagine its completely separate but don't understand the significance of the 'Trust' halo.

By selling the ground at a price above the book value, the difference is profit and mops up shortfall keeping us within FFP rules. This is what Middlesborough's Gibson got his knickers in twist about with Derby's Mel Morris. But it is a legitimate transaction and allowed.

I don't know If Sawiris is personally funding this and therefore this is why the share ownership and structure has changed, but would imagine that Xia and Purslow are removed as they only have a stake the 'Aston Villa FC' and not the ground purchase vehicle as this basically a huge unilateral injection of cash by the owner(s).

I do however think it means we will have a lot of money to spend to reinforce this summer as well as retrospectively mopping up the legacy spend in the last Championship year.

I am sure we have an accountant/lawyer here somewhere who might understand this better or who can interpret the implications and likely intention of all this.

As long as the ground is still owned by the club then that's fine. Otherwise it's dangerous.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Just added an edit note on this 

Interesting! I suppose the game is to keep it part of the "club" but have it moved from one legal entity to another to justify a transaction. Shenanigans by any measure but if it gives us the clout to survive without FFP hassles and no risk of club and ground being separated then I'm ok with it.

Looking at the press info Derby managed to generate £40m from this. 

Villa Park is one of the most prestigious Stadiums in World Football and must be worth loads more than Pride Park.

Could we generate £50 - £60m from this? 

I like the sound of a trust, hopefully it contains some rules that the ground can't be ever separated from the Club, which is my main worry. 

Edited by sidcow

7 hours ago, villa89 said:

The difference is that Spurs are in London and Villa are in Birmingham. The match day revenue Spurs can generate is much higher than what we can, especially now with the new stadium that's multi functional. That's why I said above that it would take serious stadium investment for us to compete with the top 6, we would need to be really making a lot of money from match days or else have owners subsidising the running costs which I don't think will happen. 

It is now, but it wasn't then. Which is the point. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

6 hours ago, av1 said:

100% agree. They may not be our owners in 5yrs time but I'm convinced they will leave something better than they found. 

Edens has owned the bucks for 5 years and doesn't appear to have any plans to sell up. I don't see why he would take a short term view with villa. 

• Like 2

It would be nice if they came out with an official statement on this just to ease our minds.  I suspect owning a Premier League club in the long term is a far better investment than just buying the ground, so I'm hopeful and fairly sure it's all above board.  I just hate that creative accountancy (if that's what it is) is needed in a sport.

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Edens has owned the bucks for 5 years and doesn't appear to have any plans to sell up. I don't see why he would take a short term view with villa. 

Well, in the NBA you make a boatload of money every year no matter how much you spend. There's seldom a need to sell.

One for the accountants: would the club need  to submit a set of consolidated accounts for each legal entity in the group or can they keep them separate? 

If it’s a consolidated set then surely selling the ground to another entity would make absolutely no difference for the purpose of FFP? 

20 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Looking at NS/WE backgrounds, I'd always assumed that their intention was to restore us in the PL, re-establish the club as a PL club and then look to cash out through a sale and take return on their investment.

I've little doubt their vision for ownership is in the short term rather than medium to long

@TrentVillaWhat makes you think this?  Is it just a gut feeling, or something more than that?

• Like 1

On 31/05/2019 at 08:17, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

One for the accountants: would the club need  to submit a set of consolidated accounts for each legal entity in the group or can they keep them separate? 

If it’s a consolidated set then surely selling the ground to another entity would make absolutely no difference for the purpose of FFP? 

as I understand you submit an ffp statement - that determines whether or not you have breached FFP - Its a separate document from the accounts.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Loving the decisiveness of this boards decision making.

Seeing the back of Richards and McCormack, Gardner too it feels like we are not messing about, undoing wrongs from previous administrations.

Decisiveness is very apt and i agree. This board are real professional and steely. Have we ever been run with this level of business acumen and professionalism before ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Decisiveness is very apt and i agree. This board are real professional and steely. Have we ever been run with this level of business acumen and professionalism before ?

No, not ever I would say. 

In the days football has been serious business we have had Doug the control freak who ran it like a typical owner manager of a small / medium business. Lerner the rich kid spending daddies money and Xia the Amber gambler. 

They all employed businessmen of varying amounts of skill and knowledge but no grade A types like these serious Billionaire's will be surrounded by. 

• Like 1

I am very impressed with the new owners so far. But let’s not get carried away, loads of people said the same about Lerner and even Xia.; 

We need ro reserve judgement for now imho. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

This is incredible, Scott Hogan and Aaron Tshibola must be shitting themselves 🤣

I don't think that there has ever been a time I've been a supporter of this great club where we didn't have a gaggle of players deemed "not good enough" in our reserves that we massively overpaid for and couldn't offload.  Hoping this is the first thing which changes with the new regime.

• Like 1

Â