The NSWE Board

Guest av1

On 13/10/2018 at 18:32, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

There could have easily been a lag between what the press knew and what was actually happening. An alternative scenario might have been that we did consider Henry, and maybe even make some form of contact, but then the Monaco gig came up along and he rejected us to talk with them. Meanwhile, in the press, the story was still that Henry was the main target; all the reporting was heavily lagging.

The Faria approach wouldn’t have taken long at all; a five minute phone call and a polite rejection. 

So then we approach Brentford for Dean Smith. Given how much of a well run club they are, it could be that they were already prepared for an approach, and already had a contingency plan in place, so dealing with them probably wouldn’t have taken long at all. 

I just can’t believe there was no contact whatsoever with Henry or his representatives. I think at the very least, we fluttered our eye lids in his direction, and made it clear we were interested, even if there was no formal approach. 

Faria - who knows! But Henry Winter seems adamant about it and even suggested people could email him if they felt so inclined to find out more. 

I think Smith was most definitely in the top pool of candidates, but necessarily the first choice within that top pool. It’s all opinions as I doubt we’ll ever find out for sure. 

Not that it matters anyway. How we arrived at the recruitment of Dean Smith is of no importance, it’s whether he turns out to be a successful choice is what matters.

Not my info but fairly sure it's been covered elsewhere

The Owner(s)  wanted Henry and approached him in the close season , for whatever reason they changed their mind and stuck with Bruce 

This time around the owner(s)  still wanted Henry (far as I know Henry wasn't offered the job )  but Purslow favoured a Howe , Smith or Rodgers  type .. Purslow got his way , I'm not privy to how

I don't know if we actually approached Howe or Rodgers or even Faria but that kinda suggests Smith was first choice (ish) as you say

Great if Smith works , but if it doesn't then Purslow could find himself under pressure 

• 2 months later...

Just shows how daft FFP is - if your network of businesses is large enough you can orchestrate deals like this and pump money in. I know it doesn't feel right to split the club up like this, but ultimately, all parts are still owned by the same people. I wonder how much BMH is worth?

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Just shows how daft FFP is - if your network of businesses is large enough you can orchestrate deals like this and pump money in. I know it doesn't feel right to split the club up like this, but ultimately, all parts are still owned by the same people. I wonder how much BMH is worth?

Gotta be worth a bucket load of money as that's prime real estate out there. Imagine if that land was sold for housing development alone - that would fetch a pretty penny. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Smacks of desperation, doesn't it? 

I just think it’s potetnially the top of a very slippery slope. It’s rarely ended well when football clubs become separated from assets such as their training ground.

I understand the need to deal with the challenge of FFP and there is no reason not to trust the current owners but I really really don’t like the thought of this.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I just think it’s potetnially the top of a very slippery slope. It’s rarely ended well when football clubs become separated from assets such as their training ground.

I understand the need to deal with the challenge of FFP and there is no reason not to trust the current owners but I really really don’t like the thought of this.

Totally agree with you mate! I guess we have to go on blind faith and trust that these guys are more clued up than Lerner and Xia. 

16 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Totally agree with you mate! I guess we have to go on blind faith and trust that these guys are more clued up than Lerner and Xia. 

I don’t distrust the new owners but I’m long done with blind faith after the previous two. 

No doubt that they are more clued up but I doubt they will willing to fund our loses for so long.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Smacks of desperation, doesn't it? 

I would say desperate would be a fair indication of our FFP status - based on the last couple of sets of accounts, we'll need a miracle of some sort to successfully negotiate FFP. In the long term, clubs rarely benefit from the sale of their fixed assets; training grounds, stadia, property - but I'm not sure our future planning can or should extend beyond the current FFP period right now. I share Trent's misgivings and I think you're right, this smack of desperation, but I also think it might well be the right thing for us right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villarocker said:

Gotta be worth a bucket load of money as that's prime real estate out there. Imagine if that land was sold for housing development alone - that would fetch a pretty penny. 

If it had planning permission for housing yes, but it doesn't and is highly unlikely to do so where it is. 

I think they could only value it as a training ground or reverting to farmland so wouldn't be worth gazillions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t distrust the new owners but I’m long done with blind faith after the previous two. 

No doubt that they are more clued up but I doubt they will willing to fund our loses for so long.

It’s like putting all your money in your wife’s name for tax purposes and hoping she doesn’t divorce you. What could possibly go wrong....?

• Haha 1

It says relocation  of the training ground doesn't it? Meaning getting a new state of the art training facility...thought someone had mentioned that in here before too.

Edited by New_Hope

“Yay to to the owners! They’re gonna sell our training ground to themselves to get around FFP! Gee...they’re soooo smart”

”Oh wait - so the buyers will be setting the purchase price?”

”Yeah, but don’t worry about that cos they’ll buy us a new football player. Yay the owners”

”But they’ve just underpaid by tens of millions”

“Yeah, but - they bought us that brand new player and got someone else in on loan!”

”But what about our own training ground? They’ve just given us a bit of park land with a shed. And we’re paying 200K per month on a ten year lease”

“But that new footy player tho! Yay to our smart owners and **** you FFP! lol”

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would say desperate would be a fair indication of our FFP status - based on the last couple of sets of accounts, we'll need a miracle of some sort to successfully negotiate FFP. In the long term, clubs rarely benefit from the sale of their fixed assets; training grounds, stadia, property - but I'm not sure our future planning can or should extend beyond the current FFP period right now. I share Trent's misgivings and I think you're right, this smack of desperation, but I also think it might well be the right thing for us right now.

Exactly how I see it too, OBE. To be open minded about it, they bought into a financial mess when they took over the club. Not just FFP, but in general terms too. They've rectified the general mess to a degree, paying off all debts etc, but the FFP aspects remain serious. You can only sell the training ground (even to yourself) once (although I wonder if at some future point they buy it "back" whether FFP might exclude the expenditure as being on infrastructure, and I also wonder if the club will use it rent free while we don't own it, or if there will be a cost associated with using it , which we might be able to exclude from FFP....so many questions. Are they gaming the system smartly, or acting out of desperation?).

Either way, it's critical that the underlying causes of the mess are rectified, and largely that's the wage bill and amortisation when set against income. Without promotion, income is not going to change much, but in a way, from the financial aspects it's almost better to rectify all tht stuff in this division, to create a kind of clean slate starting point, rather than go up (as we nearly did last season) and have the issues masked by a huge jump in income.

There's yet more to address next season, as TV income will fall again, with zero parachute payments coming in. The board are going to need to find another rabbit from a hat somewhere down the line.

So this training ground sale that's rumoured is I suppose unavoidable as a consequence of mismanagement before they came in.

Â