Christian Purslow

villan-scott

53 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think he’s done a good job on the whole. Mistakes may have been made along the way but he has overseen a period of growth and stability and he should be proud of his work. I hope that we have someone come in that has his knowledge of FFP and can oversee all the projects ongoing with the Council etc. 

As much as I love Emery, I think we should be wary of handing over full control to ‘his people’ (by that I mean his choices not the Spanish 😁). 

Yeh this is a concern, not so much that I don't think he doesn't know what he's doing but what if in 2-3 years time a huge club wants him or he decides to leave. We have to replace not only the manager and the coaches but also head of recruitment, sporting director etc. Hopefully it's a long way away but that will cause issues I think.

Purslow getting involved in the football side of things was never good but I do think he protected the club on the business side, he wouldn't be taken for a mug.

• Like 1

He's played his part but without these owners nothing good happens. I think some give far too much credit on Purslow. 

When Emery joined it was obvious Purslow had been pushed back slightly and it doesn't surprise me we offered him a different role. 

Gerrard was a huge error and TBH we didn't invest the Grealish money well.

I'm thankful for his time here. He's contributed to the success. I'm not worried in the slightest. 

The most important people in all of this are the owners. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I suppose one criticism you could label at him is our commercial revenue is still lagging far behind our rivals in the 6-10th spots in the league, let alone the top teams. Partly that is down to the dated stadium, which should be resolved in the future, but we still seem to be catching up from our relegation years.

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Yeh this is a concern, not so much that I don't think he doesn't know what he's doing but what if in 2-3 years time a huge club wants him or he decides to leave. We have to replace not only the manager and the coaches but also head of recruitment, sporting director etc. Hopefully it's a long way away but that will cause issues I think.

Purslow getting involved in the football side of things was never good but I do think he protected the club on the business side, he wouldn't be taken for a mug.

Hopefully in 2 - 3 years... we are back to competing directly with those " huge clubs " ourselves 😎

1 hour ago, Awol said:

I don’t know who will formally take over that work, but I’ll have a small bet that NSWE has already  done some succession planning. When it comes to running a business these guys are pretty tip top mate, I wouldn’t worry.

I hope so - i do think purslow was a veey good ceo so i cant lie this does concern me abit. I like that emery is taking confrol but lets say in 2-3 years someone poaches him then what? He is going to want to take eveeyone with him then we are back at square one

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He's played his part but without these owners nothing good happens. I think some give far too much credit on Purslow. 

When Emery joined it was obvious Purslow had been pushed back slightly and it doesn't surprise me we offered him a different role. 

I'm thankful for his time here. He's contributed to the success. I'm not worried in the slightest. 

I think purslow was instrumental in bringing smith here so we have to be thankful for that

He did say he’d eventually leave and when he was to leave he would leave the club in a better place. He’s been professional and a good CEO yes he’s gotten a few things wrong but he’s helped the club progress, I think this is one of his most successful tenures in football.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

100% agree. In football these day the owners are the most important people at a club (which isn't good really). But we're lucky to have brilliant owners, who aren't only rich but also seem very smart and actively involved.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I hope so - i do think purslow was a veey good ceo so i cant lie this does concern me abit. I like that emery is taking confrol but lets say in 2-3 years someone poaches him then what? He is going to want to take eveeyone with him then we are back at square one

That’s fair, but I look at it from the other end of the telescope. The owners are hugely impressed with Emery and don’t want him to be tempted by another club, so they are arranging everything with him at the centre, meaning no other can club can offer him better than he already has. 

Emery wants to succeed in England and win things. He now has total footballing control over a great club, with the resources to match his own ambition. Hopefully this week his old mate Monchi will join him with the intention of building a dynasty and challenging for honours, as they did previously at Sevilla. 

That kind of commitment requires a lot of trust from both sides, which must now exist or it wouldn’t have happened. I think fans should be very excited. All of the pieces are falling into place and it feels like we are at the beginning of (what will hopefully be) a new golden era for the club.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Uh...  He facilitated a sale to new owners then stepped down?  He did what he was brought in to do?

Really bizarre to see all the Purslow hate for no reason here.  You can't deny all the good work he's done for us during his time here off the pitch like the BMH upgrades, inner city youth academy, North stand redevelopment, women's team rejuvenation, etc.  

Also, Smith was a brilliant appointment for us.  Stop with this revisionist BS...  He took us from midtable in the Championship, to midtable in the Prem ahead of schedule.  Just like Smith, he's taken us as far as he can and it's time to move on from Purslow to someone more elite.  When was the last time we had a CEO leave us in a better spot than when he arrived?  Never?

When has a CEO had owners like NSWE To work with?

• Thanks 1

I suppose this isn’t that surprising given that Chris Heck is taking full responsibility for all business and commercial matters?

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so can people stop the narrative that he's been got rid of now?

It's clear the owners wanted to restructure the club and how it operates. 

Lange / Purslow / Head Coach - this dynamic wasn't working. I feel maybe it was the Gerrard hire which cause the break in how this was working. Lange's voice probably mattered less as Purslow listened to Gerrard.

Signing Coutinho / Digne / Carlos - older players with big transfer fees and high wages with low sell on values. Feels that was a direct pivot in how we operated to appease Gerrard more. 

I also think the move to sack Deano and Hire Gerrard was premature and a Purslow decision. 

All of these played into why a change in the club structure was needed. Need Sporting Director and Head Coach aligned in vision. You need the commercial aspects to be focused on as a separate area. 

For Purslow it's a demotion due to the changes he has less influence and he decided to leave. It's not that NSWE blamed him for the Gerrard error but that the club structures allowed the error to become so bad.

• Like 1

Surprised by this, but then not so surprised. 

The rumours have been that Emery was given control of footballing decisions and wanting his own Director of Football to deal with the overall plan. The appointment of Heck would have further diminished Purslow’s role and with the new business model, he didn’t want to take a role as a figurehead CEO.

It raises questions over the future of Johan Lange though, with a new DOF most likely coming in, his own role will be diminished, or does some of Purslow’s role around FFP etc come under his purview?

Purslow did a very good job and should be thanked for it. I don’t think appointing Gerrard led to this, I believe the club has finally grown up and to be a worldwide brand, you need experienced people to deliver this goal. We finally have real football people back in charge of the club and Purslow will be remembered for his positive impact on the club returning to its historical place in English football.

51 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Well, him being offered another role in the club because he's not needed in his current role is kinda being gotten rid of, no?

Yep, it's a polite way of getting rid of someone.

I'm not surprised at all, as soon as Gerrard was sacked the writing was on the wall. The fact that Purslow wasn't the one to sack him was a big pointer. 

Gerrards appointment and the fact he never sacked him earlier or lined up a replacement as things were falling apart.

His 3 players to replace Grealish announcement

The buy out clause inserted into a contract that had 3 seasons to go.

Who knows what else has happened behind the scenes but I'm guessing Emery didn't want him here either, I think Purslow is the sort to voice his opinions despite not being a football expert. 

Anyway good luck Christian, I can see a head of FA /Premier league type role would be right up his street. Just hope we haven't burnt any bridges..

7 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

Surprised by this, but then not so surprised. 

The rumours have been that Emery was given control of footballing decisions and wanting his own Director of Football to deal with the overall plan. The appointment of Heck would have further diminished Purslow’s role and with the new business model, he didn’t want to take a role as a figurehead CEO.

It raises questions over the future of Johan Lange though, with a new DOF most likely coming in, his own role will be diminished, or does some of Purslow’s role around FFP etc come under his purview?

Purslow did a very good job and should be thanked for it. I don’t think appointing Gerrard led to this, I believe the club has finally grown up and to be a worldwide brand, you need experienced people to deliver this goal. We finally have real football people back in charge of the club and Purslow will be remembered for his positive impact on the club returning to its historical place in English football.

Thought Lange is accepting a new role in V Sports and it's Purslow who has decided he would rather step down than take new role. 

• Thanks 1

Â