Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

he isn't streaky, he just doesn't start every game or score every game he starts, using the term 'streaky' to negatively dismiss anytime he does have a run of good form is bizarre, never heard any other player called streaky on these boards this way.

Anwar has scored important goals and been a huge asset, he might not be everyone's cup of tea but the dog's abuse he gets on here makes me sad. He's far from perfect but so many other players in the team misfiring week in week out that don't get the level of criticism he does.

People would rather focus on his faults than the fact he scores goals.

Eh???  I didn’t call him streaky. 

I was just saying he’s done decent but not amazing, but for £8 million what do you expect?

I generally think if Anwar does something positive early on like score or set up a goal he goes on to have a stormer, today was different in that he popped up with some quality at the end, which is positive.  You can't argue 8 goals for a back up winger is decent, whatever you think of his character or ability and probably hard to sign a replacement for on the cheap.  Better to keep him than get rid imo.

• Like 1

Just now, ender4 said:

Eh???  I didn’t call him streaky. 

I was just saying he’s done decent but not amazing, but for £8 million what do you expect?

Apologies you didn't, i was taking the p*ss out of him being called streaky and thought you agreed.

if he cost 19mil was English or Brazilian the hate would probably be less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I generally think if Anwar does something positive early on like score or set up a goal he goes on to have a stormer, today was different in that he popped up with some quality at the end, which is positive.  You can't argue 8 goals for a back up winger is decent, whatever you think of his character or ability and probably hard to sign a replacement for on the cheap.  Better to keep him than get rid imo.

he was genuinely awful most of the first half, couldn't beat a man, gave away possession, was unlucky for their goal, but to give him his due he kept plugging away and took his chance.

Scored ad many goals as Mane and Jesus. Granted, three of them were penalties, but that's a great return considering the amount of minutes he's played.

Great finish, you've got to love a curler from outside the box! 

• Like 1

I feel a bit sorry for him. His best position is clearly LW, but so is Jack's IMO (and in Dean's opinion too by the looks of things).

If he's happy to always be fighting for his place, then I think we should probably keep him. You can't argue with his goalscoring record. Yes he has a few too many 3/10 or 4/10 games, but when he's feeling it he's very good, and very dangerous in front of goal.

Tonight he was poor for most of the game, but that goal was a little touch of class. Fair play to him.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He should have at least 4 assists in my opinion. Where he has played crosses across the box and either no one reacts or they take an extra touch and the chance is gone like traore against Man Utd.

He was key in all of our good chances today in the buildup. He played the ball into watkins for pretty much all of them. 

I'm sure people are not listening where I say his performance was good today, I am not trying to take today away from him he did great, there is no need to point that out. What I am going to point out is most of the times he is on the pitch he is not doing this what what he's done today, he has little runs and goes missing for tons of games at a time. Again at this level we need players who don't be having performances where they are not seen for weeks or months on end then suddenly show up, again this is a business, it's an ever evolving football club where players must evolve and adapt.

I personally do not think Ghazi will be here if he can't make more recognisable performances like today and he shouldn't be if we're trying to aim higher and higher each season. Either he gets with the program now and starts making these performance more concrete and regular or he will be sold eventually soon as a decent offer comes in. You can count on the Villa Owners and chiefs in charge are looking at ways in which to bring better players into the club. There's just one problem with some people's view round here of keeping everyone all the time is that to bring players in new more capable players, some players to also have to be sold.

18 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Yes and your point is? For all we know our Owners may be sizing up a big pot of gold in Summer and Lange may bring someone in who costs more than that figure.

We will have to wait and see.

My point is it's going to be £30m + not a difficult concept to understand.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

My point is it's going to be £30m + not a difficult concept to understand.

No it's not but it was a pointless one to make considering you could still look around and buy players for around 5 to 10 mill and get a player who pops in a few goals alone on the wings. Depends what league your looking in at signing those players for that cheap right?

Edited by Dave-R

25 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

It's not just about goals though as there is much to a players game. Sure it's nice but those other players people keep comparing Ghazi on stats to are often making themselves available on field creating, delivering, crossing which is all accurate or precise and then there's all the off ball work and more.

I'm not going to be blinded by just goals there are more to players games than just goals and assists.

Yes sure I agree , Richarlison is just as frustrating as Elghazi in every aspect, Iwobi on the other hand is just pure garbage.

He can't trap a bag of cement, he can't beat a player, he can't cross, his one touch passing is hideous, he is soft as anything, is 6ft 2 but plays like he is SWP 5ft 5,  his decision making is really slow meaning he often turns over possession or gets caught on the ball but 60% of the time he scores everytime.

• Haha 2

Really pleased for him, clearly a top man who works hard at his game. 

Suffers from a disastrous lack of confidence at times that means he's a squad player for Aston Villa instead of a Champions League side.

I still don't think I can't handle him and Trez in the same team. It's too much hit and miss in one go.

• Like 1

The aim of football has been the same since day 1. Score goals to win games. If scoring goals was easy everyone and their dog would be scoring goals. His goals are important ones. Meaning they've won us a lot of points.

AEG is the ideal fringe player. In the last few games he hasn't employed his shoot on sight policy and has started to play cute little through balls. Today a couple of times from a similar position he passed instead of shoot. He caught Pickford off guard thanks to Barkley's run and then finished with aplomb.

He even got in a few dirty fouls today. An excellent £8million footballer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He can't trap a bag of cement, he can't beat a player, he can't cross, his one touch passing is hideous, he is soft as anything, is 6ft 2 but plays like he is SWP 5ft 5,  his decision making is really slow meaning he often turns over possession or gets caught on the ball but 60% of the time he scores everytime.

60 percent is a little high, but it's all that you mentioned in why we have to look for someone who can do all that because I'd give up those 5 or 6 goals for someone who could do what you mentioned. If you get a team of players who are doing all that and productivity raises then your going to be a team that is very difficult to beat and control's games and scores anyhow.

Look at our production tonight, we created lots in alot of different areas and all our players were doing it as a team like the team earlier in the season.

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Dave-R said:

60 percent is a little high, but it's all that you mentioned in why we have to look for someone who can do all that because I'd give up those 5 or 6 goals for someone who could do what you mentioned. If you get a team of players who are doing all that and productivity raises then your going to be a team that is very difficult to beat and control's games and someone scores anyhow.

Look at our production tonight, we created lots in alot of different areas and all our players were doing it as a team like the team earlier in the season.

We’ve already got someone, his name is  Grealish. Jack Grealish. 

El Ghazi is a squad player, he won’t start every game, but when he does play he’s always capable of scoring which is what you want from an impact sub. Goals and goal threat. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, It's Your Round said:

El Ghazi is a squad player, he won’t start every game, but when he does play he’s always capable of scoring which is what you want from an impact sub. Goals and goal threat. 

We keep the team like it is and never upgrade you can count on one of a couple of things happening. One we become one of the clubs that's just a resident in the league and never wins shit or two we actually get worse overtime and drop to point we don't see the danger till it hits us smack bang and were down again.

At some point Ghazi will have to be sold, it may not be this summer coming but eventually in a summer or two if he doesn't adapt or evolve it will happen. Thing is there is enough evidence to suggest he's not a player who shows up regular, he and Trezegeut are like it but sure let's not buy anyone new, challenge for anything because unless we sell our worst or move them on then we won't improve overall throughout the team.

It's a good job that none of us have for the job of who stays or goes really and when they do or not. I'm sure the Heirachy has there Summer plans and if it's time that Ghazi is moved on this summer because better has been highlighted to come in then great if not I trust that those who decided to throw there weight behind him think he can go further. 

7 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

We probably still need someone like Jack Grealish on the right wing though. At least, someone not completely outside his level if we want to keep moving upwards. Trez, El Ghazi and Traore are fine for we are at now but I don't see any of these guys starting for us if we want to get into the European places.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

We keep the team like it is and never upgrade you can count on one of a couple of things happening. One we become one of the clubs that's just a resident in the league and never wins shit or two we actually get worse overtime and drop to point we don't see the danger till it hits us smack bang and were down again.

At some point Ghazi will have to be sold, it may not be this summer coming but eventually in a summer or two if he doesn't adapt or evolve it will happen. Thing is there is enough evidence to suggest he's not a player who shows up regular, he and Trezegeut are like it but sure let's not buy anyone new, challenge for anything because unless we sell our worst or move them on then we won't improve overall throughout the team.

It's a good job that none of us have for the job of who stays or goes really and when they do or not. I'm sure the Heirachy has there Summer plans and if it's time that Ghazi is moved on this summer because better has been highlighted to come in then great if not I trust that those who decided to throw there weight behind him think he can go further. 

Now you are just arguing in bad faith. No one is saying for him to be first choice winger next season. But he should be the first man off the bench as he is one of the few players in this squad who can produce a moment of magic. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Surprised me tbh. I thought he was a championship player. Whilst he isn't consistent enough to be a formidable premiership player. Clearly has a role to play as an impact / fringe player.

Sublime goal tonight.

• Like 1

Â