Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, commander said:

if Smith/ the coachig staff could et El Ghazi and Traore upping their defensive output all round involvement, whilst maintainig their attacking output, we'd have 2 £50-75m winger on our hands. We should be making these players better rathr than buying in

Also, anyone else think he could do a decent job as a Striker? 

He probably strikes the ball at goal ,better than most in our club.

The issue as I see it is this, he struggles with certain attributes necessary for a perfect winger, but he has some, but not others.

As an example......if 10 is perfect, he may have 5 or 6, but we need someone with 7 or 8

It depends what we want to focus on as spectators......he infuriates me at times and then comes up with a worldly

its easy to have varying opinions on Ghazi from game to game.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2021 at 15:32, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t get his inconsistency. How he can be so bad in some games that it’s like playing with 10 men. Same with Traore. How does this happen?

Those are wingers for you. If you're a consistently in form winger then you wouldn't be playing for Villa, simple as really. Unless you've been at the club since you were 6 of course :D

• Like 3

On 03/05/2021 at 02:30, MotoMkali said:

Imagine saying a player who essentially scores once every other game isn't offering enough to the team. Yeah he goes on goal scoring runs. But if you can mark off a player for 3 weeks to get a goal then you have a huge advantage.

Plus his positioning is great inside the box he almost always gets to deflections or loose balls just needs to tuck them away with more regularity. 

Lets not pretend his current goal ratio is something that's been following him in the PL. Last season he had 4 goals in 34. And afaik he has 8 in 23 this season, and that's not once every other game either. And that's including penalty goal(s). 

His overall ability just isn't good enough, so yes he isn't offering enough. That's exactly right. He's a another Hourihane basically. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Haha 1

To buy a player as good as AEG can occasionally be would have been vastly out of our price range as a newly promoted club (when he signed permanently). His inconsistency is the reason we paid a relative pittance for him and why he came to a newly promoted club. 
I am fond of AEG. I would love a player that can do what he can do more consistently... but so would every team in the PL. 

Edited by alreadyexists

Has as many PL goals this season as Mane, Cavani, Maddison, Ward-Prowse and Gabriel Jesus, and has played fewer (or roughly the same) minutes as all of them.

Absolutely insane that people are still criticising him and pointing to him as an example of a player who isn't good enough for us.

Have always said it, he's more than good enough as a squad player for where we are and where we hope to be.

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Has as many PL goals this season as Mane, Cavani, Maddison, Ward-Prowse and Gabriel Jesus, and has played fewer (or roughly the same) minutes as all of them.

Absolutely insane that people are still criticising him and pointing to him as an example of a player who isn't good enough for us.

Have always said it, he's more than good enough as a squad player for where we are and where we hope to be.

Zero assists, though - which shows that he does need to work on that part of his game 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Zero assists, though - which shows that he does need to work on that part of his game 

Absolutely fair, I like him but he has faults and this is one. Love seeing him succeed too, he cares.

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Of course, but as others have rightly stated, if he was a consistent performer and all-round top class winger, he wouldn't be a squad option at Aston Villa 

28 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

As for his assists last season he should have been on at least 7/8 but samatta and Davis missed easy chances towards the end of the season especially. How's that AEG's fault? Same with this season.

I'd add to this that AEG got more PL assists than goals last year, so it could well be that he's being asked to play slightly differently this season. He's always loved a shot from distance but it seems to be a tactic that we use much more when he's on the pitch this season, it could well be the coaching team have identified a strength in his game and are asking him to make the most of it.

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Lets not pretend his current goal ratio is something that's been following him in the PL. Last season he had 4 goals in 34. And afaik he has 8 in 23 this season, and that's not once every other game either. And that's including penalty goal(s). 

His overall ability just isn't good enough, so yes he isn't offering enough. That's exactly right. He's a another Hourihane basically. 

He scores 0.57 goals every 90 minutes this season. In case you hadn't noticed 0.57 > 0.5

He has had a lot of substitute appearances tbf which increase the number of appearances and don't really give him a fair chance to get a goal especially when you consider how late Smith often makes changes.

And 9 goal contribution last season (according to fpl - whoscored has 8), so that was either 0.35 or 0.4 goal contributions every 90 last season as well. Which is sufficient contribution imo.

Except he's a hourihane who draws opponents to him and works hard defensively without weakening our midfield. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He scores 0.57 goals every 90 minutes this season. In case you hadn't noticed 0.57 > 0.5

He has had a lot of substitute appearances tbf which increase the number of appearances and don't really give him a fair chance to get a goal especially when you consider how late Smith often makes changes.

And 9 goal contribution last season (according to fpl - whoscored has 8), so that was either 0.35 or 0.4 goal contributions every 90 last season as well. Which is sufficient contribution imo.

Except he's a hourihane who draws opponents to him and works hard defensively without weakening our midfield. 

Yeah. And in case you didn't notice matches are matches. And he hasn't scored every other match. 

And if you honestly think that bolded part is true then you are either his boyfriend or on another planet. I've lost track the amount of times I've seen him do **** all useful defensive work. Just like Hourihane a good striker of the ball. Will get goals. But is also a total liability in the general play. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

9 goals in 26 games is good isn’t it for a winger?

I think the elgashi comment was sarcastically pointing out how laughable it actually is to call him that. Could be wrong...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I'd add to this that AEG got more PL assists than goals last year, so it could well be that he's being asked to play slightly differently this season. He's always loved a shot from distance but it seems to be a tactic that we use much more when he's on the pitch this season, it could well be the coaching team have identified a strength in his game and are asking him to make the most of it.

That's probably because he was mostly playing on the right last season, where he's definitely more comfortable crossing than shooting 

• Like 1

Â